Old Photo - The Old Plank Road To City Beach, Perth, Australia

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Old Photo - The Old Plank Road To City Beach, Perth, Australia
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Sunday, December 18, 2016 - 10:57 am:

This is a neat site worth a look see!

https://cambridgelocalstudies.wordpress.com/2014/08/11/the-old-plank-road/

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Warren Henderson, Dunbarton, NH on Sunday, December 18, 2016 - 11:27 am:

Great photo Jay, thanks for posting.

The Darling Ranges were full of big trees and they had steam sawmills around Perth. The whole of Perth’s roads were made of wood blocks. There were no stone roads. Roads built out of sleepers were called corduroy roads. Generally, there were two sleeper tracks with a span space in between built for horses and carts and trucks with solid rubber tyres.

Happy motoring,

Warren

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Plank - Three Way, TN on Sunday, December 18, 2016 - 11:49 am:

I drive on a plank road every time I turn into my driveway.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Gumbinger, Kenosha, WI on Sunday, December 18, 2016 - 04:41 pm:

Groan.... Thanks, Dennis "Plank" :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Alan George Long on Wednesday, December 21, 2016 - 07:32 am:

Some great information from a area only 20 minutes from where I live and travel that road on a regular basis. City of Cambridge is even closer and it was found and posted on the forum from the other side of the world. My 87 year old Mother remembers plank roads being common place around the suburbs of Perth but being 63 I can't!!:
It would have been well used today with folks heading to the beach to escape the 42Deg (c) summer heat.
Alan in Western Australia

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Wednesday, December 21, 2016 - 10:31 am:

That's a different arrangement than I'm used to seeing. Most of the US plank roads I've seen are corduroy style, with the boards laid across the road. The most notable one was across the dunes west of Winterhaven in California.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration