Stevens hub Chaser

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Stevens hub Chaser
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed in California on Sunday, December 18, 2016 - 03:37 pm:

Hard to find tool for someones collection.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Antique-Stevens-T-181-Ford-Model-T-Hub-Thread-Chaser-/15 2361318995?hash=item2379713a53:g:DkQAAOSwUsJYVuhE&vxp=mtr

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Sunday, December 18, 2016 - 03:43 pm:

I'm usually a sucker for neat tools, but that's too rich for my blood! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Sunday, December 18, 2016 - 04:08 pm:

The last one sold on Ebay went for, wait for it........................$606.60

Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed in California on Sunday, December 18, 2016 - 04:29 pm:

Ouch...
http://www.ebay.com/itm/antique-STEVENS-T-181-Ford-Model-T-era-THREAD-CHASER-DIE -Hub-repair-TOOL-/391395129194?hash=item5b20f7b76a:g:FHoAAOSwe7BW0w5W&vxp=mtr

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Sunday, December 18, 2016 - 05:56 pm:

That tool comes two ways. At prices like these because the parties involved know how rare and desirable it is, and dirt cheap because they don't. I've been looking for the latter version for years, but I expect I'll end up making my own.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eugene Story on Sunday, December 18, 2016 - 06:53 pm:

Brother in law went to the city dump back when you could take a can full and bring back a pickup load. After one of his trips he came by and showed what he found it was a thread chaser that would do 4 different threads, I had a front hub that had bad threads, we tried it out and it worked fine. He said keep it I don't have any use for it. To use you don't screw it on you put it on and screw it off.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Hatch on Sunday, December 18, 2016 - 08:59 pm:

Someone was going to start making these. Did that ever happen? Dan

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Daron - Brownsburg IN on Sunday, December 18, 2016 - 09:50 pm:

Ask RV,I think it was he who spoke of that.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Gumbinger, Kenosha, WI on Sunday, December 18, 2016 - 10:25 pm:

Owatonna Tool Co. makes one that's very similar to this Stevens tool, but it comes with several sets of interchangable threads so you can repair hubs with different threads.

There was a thread on this Forum about these several years ago and I bought one. It works good, and like Eugene Story said above, you put it on the back end of the thread and screw it off.

Keith

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George Mills_Cherry Hill NJ on Sunday, December 18, 2016 - 10:46 pm:

The Owatonna is pretty spiffy until you can find the Stevens fixed die unit.

Tom Edison NJ Model T has always had a buggered first thread on the front left hub. Last years maintenance schedule called for re-greasing the front end and I drew that task. I spent close to 1/2 hour trying to get the hubcap back on using every trick that I knew.

Finally said to the NPS curator "Time to shave some thread" since they quiver whenever you change something old. Pulled the OTC tool out of crash bag...about a minute later hubcap was on :-):-).

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed in California on Sunday, December 18, 2016 - 10:53 pm:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/OTC-897-A-Universal-Outside-Thread-Chaser-Threading-Tool /132033265131?_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC .MBE%26ao%3D2%26asc%3D38530%26meid%3De11f9b3749694e35930666f245a47aab%26pid%3D10 0005%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D6%26sd%3D122266324823

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chad Marchees _____Tax Capital, NY on Monday, December 19, 2016 - 06:27 am:

The one that Ed posted above is a very good price at $30 and a hair more than what I paid for mine. New they are around $90--and a different part number now.

I don't have an original, but the above OTC 897-A version does work if you are patient, but I can easily see the advantages of the original. Still not worth the $300-600 price tag in my opinion though.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Anthonie Boer --- Klaaswaal NL on Monday, December 19, 2016 - 07:04 am:

Not as nice as the original,but a lot cheaper.
2394M
Toon

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Monday, December 19, 2016 - 09:07 pm:

Anthonie, Yours looks wonderful! I got by for years with simple hand tools, but when I got my coupe, it had one wheel that I could not clean up the thread enough to get a hubcap on more than one turn. The wheels had been nicely respoked and finished (except for that one hub's threads). I had been thinking about it for years, and never had found an original tool for them that I was willing to afford. So finally, one day, I threw together one That I had figured would be quick and easy to make'

It may be ugly, but it works pretty good.
Drive carefully, and enjoy, W2

PS Nice work Anthonie!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ted Dumas on Monday, December 19, 2016 - 09:23 pm:

Wayne, yours is only one rattle can away from beautiful!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Alex Falconer, Saskatchewan, Canada on Monday, December 19, 2016 - 10:20 pm:

For those of us that may be inclined to manufacture our own, what size of die was cut up and sacrificed?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Fisher on Tuesday, December 20, 2016 - 05:13 pm:

Its pretty cool when a tool I have listed on eBay makes it to a forum. A friend of mine told me it was on here

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chad Marchees _____Tax Capital, NY on Tuesday, December 20, 2016 - 05:40 pm:

Alex, the hub thread size is 2-1/8"-24 USF.

Wayne's tool was made using a 3/8" x 24 die broken (cut) into 4 pieces. Really any die that has a 24 threads per inch (TPI) would work.

I have the OTC tool and it is a little cumbersome to use but does work pretty good, as I mentioned above, patients is needed to get the hang of it.

I will at some point make one like Wayne's or Anthonie's as copied off the stevens tool as I feel it is far superior.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ted Dumas on Tuesday, December 20, 2016 - 05:40 pm:

If you buy the Owatonna unit, then you can also straighten up the threads on your exhaust manifold and have money left over for several gallons of ice cream.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chad Marchees _____Tax Capital, NY on Tuesday, December 20, 2016 - 08:50 pm:

Alex, I forgot to include this link which may also be helpful.

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/331880/348911.html?1364737600

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Tuesday, December 20, 2016 - 09:11 pm:

I think RV was thinking about having them made.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Alex Falconer, Saskatchewan, Canada on Tuesday, December 20, 2016 - 10:22 pm:

Thanks Chad.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By R.V. Anderson on Wednesday, December 21, 2016 - 08:44 pm:

Yes; Larry; you and Jack are correct. Stay tuned, y'all.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Wednesday, December 21, 2016 - 09:02 pm:

Bill, If you are not a model T person. These do not come up for sale very often, and when they do they usually bring a good price. So that is why they get discussed on this forum. Stevens made very good quality tools to work on our beloved Model Ts, so they are always a desirable tool to find. Hope you do well on the auction and someone gets a good deal on something they need. That is sometimes hard to accomplish, but if both sides involved are happy with the outcome, Then its a "good deal" Thanks for the e-bay listing ... have fun and be safe, Donnie Brown .....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Fisher on Wednesday, December 21, 2016 - 10:32 pm:

Donnie, Thank you. I'm not a model T person, but I am an antique tool person. I love old tools. Some I collect, some I pass down the line.......like the threader. Most Stevens stuff I pass down the line. Other things, like my 1931 Snap On model T ratcheting spring spreader stay in my collection. My first love is antique vises. As for the threader, I try to detail the description to a "T", including the fact that this tool was seized when I acquired it, but functions normally now.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Gumbinger, Kenosha, WI on Thursday, December 22, 2016 - 12:15 pm:

Bill Fisher, I, too, am a fan of old tools, especially Snap-on. Could you please either post on this Forum or email me a picture of your 1931 Snap-on Ratcheting Spring Spreader? Snap-on has a Museum in their World Headquarters here in Kenosha and might even have one of those spring spreaders.

Thanks, Keith Gumbinger cgumbinger at att.net

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Fisher on Thursday, December 22, 2016 - 02:54 pm:

Keith, This is the spring spreader

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John C Codman on Thursday, December 22, 2016 - 03:13 pm:

Lang's has one for $95. It's not like the original, but it would work just fine. I think old tools are nice, but not at that price.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By thomas elliott nw pa on Thursday, December 22, 2016 - 03:38 pm:

I do save old tools when they fall into my hands, some were my dad's, since this thread chaser seems to be popular I thought I'd mention that I had one wheel that the thread was awful tight but I had bought a rear wheel puller from Lang's pn#2800wp, that worked ok once on lightly and a little tightening while removing it.Of course it's not made for this but it did work !

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Gumbinger, Kenosha, WI on Thursday, December 22, 2016 - 05:57 pm:

Hi Bill, Thank you very much for posting the picture of the Snap-on spring spreader.

Keith

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Glen Chaffin on Thursday, December 22, 2016 - 06:13 pm:

The Stevens thread chaser is the best ever made and worth every penny. I found one by luck at the San Diego swap meet. I say a fellow carrying one around and asked him if it was for sale. He said he had brought it to sell to another guy at the meet but the guy said it was too expensive. I couldn't get my money out fast enough when he said it was $75.00. Have since found another one but they are hard to find. It is unbelievable how well they work and are completely adjustable. A must have tool.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Thursday, December 22, 2016 - 07:36 pm:

Since we are thread drifting :-) Have any of you tool collectors ever seen a cabinet like this one. The best I have found out, is that it is very early 20s when Snap-On first started. I was told by our local Snappy Snap-On guy that they were only dealers that had them. He showed me a pic of a Model T roadster with a salesman box on the back that Snap-On used during the Model T era. This cabinet would probably hold about a dozen complete sets as shown on the door, and lots of replacement tools. The Snap-On guy offered to trade me one of their top of the line "Huge" new tool cabinets for it. I think at the time the cabinets were going for over 3000.00. Im really glad now I did not trade. but at the time it was a tough decision to make...... :-) I have never seen or heard of another one. I know they are probably some more of them, but in my travels, I have seen none...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Fisher on Thursday, December 22, 2016 - 07:45 pm:

That's cool

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Joseph A. Stearns on Thursday, December 22, 2016 - 07:58 pm:

Neat pic Lots to look at. Thanks for posting.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Thursday, December 22, 2016 - 08:14 pm:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry Kramer on Thursday, December 22, 2016 - 10:22 pm:

Donnie, When you get tired of looking at that cabinet, we would love to have it in the vintage garage in Richmond.😀

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Hagerty on Thursday, December 22, 2016 - 10:34 pm:

Donnie, I admit doing a quick double-take before I realized the picture above is a model! Did you build it and the diorama? Looks great! If and when I get a camera and learn to post photos, I will show a Model T firetruck my father built.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Thursday, December 22, 2016 - 10:44 pm:

Speaking of thread drift Donnie, Looks like were both going to have whizz bang estate sales going on after we hit the pearly gates.:-):-)
I tell people to keep checking the Obit's for my name cause I am sure my wife will be giving the stuff away for pennies on the dollar cause it's mostly all old junk in her book. Sure hope there's something to that 72 virgins you get in heaven. It would sure take some of the edge off the rolling in the grave thing. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Thursday, December 22, 2016 - 11:16 pm:

Jay, my daughter said she is calling the Pickers, and my wife is calling Evyette Vanderbrink... (I think I spelled her name right) Jerry I will keep that in mind. I will seriously consider it. David, No I did not build it, but it is a nice job. There is a little back story to the cabinet. My family is from a town in Oklahoma called Yale. It is a little west of Tulsa. Right in "prime" model T country. Well the old town has been dying for years and property values are poor. My uncle has bought up lots of the old buildings for years. We were on a visit trip to see all the family. Well my uncle had bought a building at the end of main street and was having a "yard sale" to get rid of all the junk. Come to find out, the old building had been a gararge and blacksmith shop all its life and had been closed since WW2. 90% of the stuff was already gone when I got there. They had either sold it or took it to the dump. But hanging on the wall was this cabinet. I got it free and to this day my uncle still does not know why I liked it so much. I did find a ton of stuff in the attic, but that is "another story " have a Merry Christmas ....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eugene Story on Friday, December 23, 2016 - 06:31 am:

There is a old saying that I hope my wife don't sell it for what I told her I paid for it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Friday, December 23, 2016 - 09:22 am:

Eugene, you got that right. I picked up a heap of stuff here over the years I only paid a dollar two eighty for. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed in California on Friday, December 23, 2016 - 01:01 pm:

759.00 and climbing...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Friday, December 23, 2016 - 05:14 pm:

My eldest son tells me that he KNOWS mom will dump the entire project of getting rid of my junk onto his lap. He says he will sell my cars cheap, keep a few tools for himself, then contact all the local clubs for a one day free for all for the rest of it!

Works for me.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chad Marchees _____Tax Capital, NY on Friday, December 23, 2016 - 05:21 pm:

WOW, I was shocked when I saw Ed's post. $759 so far. I will either wait for RV to make his reproduction or make my own as I sated above. You have to be a real diehard in my opinion to pony up that much for that particular tool.

Little less than two days left on the auction, make sure you tell the family to eat early so you can make a final bid on Christmas day!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank van Ekeren (Australia) on Friday, December 23, 2016 - 05:30 pm:

Final bid on Christmas day, mmm, a few more eggnogs and who knows what price it could bring!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed in California on Friday, December 23, 2016 - 05:41 pm:

If only our Ts can have the same increase in value....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ted Dumas on Friday, December 23, 2016 - 09:33 pm:

It's up to $759. Just think you can buy it now and double your money next week?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed Fuller on Friday, December 23, 2016 - 10:10 pm:

At this point it might be cheaper to just to buy some new hubs!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Saturday, December 24, 2016 - 09:42 am:

I hope whoever buys it doesn't just hang it on the wall with the other ten in his collection! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Saturday, December 24, 2016 - 10:34 am:

Mark, I resemble that remark!

I look at it as protecting it from the hoarders! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Saturday, December 24, 2016 - 11:19 am:

Mark, I resemble Jay's remark... :-) why would anyone need ten of them anyway... 6 or 7 should be plenty for anyone. ... After that you are a hoarder ... :-) Merry Christmas ... "eve"

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Saturday, December 24, 2016 - 01:42 pm:

Amen brother Donnie! MERRY CHRISTMAS!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed in California on Saturday, December 24, 2016 - 01:48 pm:

Someone, somewhere, has an amazing Stevens tool collection hanging on their wall...and smack dab in the middle of the display is a solitary outline of a missing hub rethreader...the only tool missing to be complete.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Saturday, December 24, 2016 - 01:57 pm:

Ed, there must be at least two of those collections with the same missing tool .. :-) :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Jefferson, Ohio on Sunday, December 25, 2016 - 09:59 am:

Well the seller of the Stevens Hub Tool will have a merry Christmas...currently $769 with 5 hours to go.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Sunday, December 25, 2016 - 11:21 am:

The reason the Stevens thread chaser is hard to find is because you have to know what you would be looking for.
Old tools and hardware were thrown away or were thrown in a junk pile to later go to the scrapyard is the fate of tools like this.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Sunday, December 25, 2016 - 12:54 pm:

606.60 final bid. It was "sniped" in the last 6 seconds of the auction... by a single bid bidder. Merry Christmas .....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Longbranch,WA on Sunday, December 25, 2016 - 01:04 pm:

What auction are you watching, Donnie ? Current bid is $769.00. Doesn't go off until 12:00 noon.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Sunday, December 25, 2016 - 06:45 pm:

My mistake, I clicked on the wrong link :-( egg on my face .... sorry ...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Glen Chaffin on Monday, December 26, 2016 - 02:35 pm:

DOES ANYONE ELSE WANT ONE $769.00 PLUS SHIPPING?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Monday, December 26, 2016 - 02:44 pm:

A little OT, but:

Early to mid '70s Mopar hardtops have a little plastic-dipped steel "guide" that screws to the top of the roof to help guide the ventless door window into its seals. They are always rusted and nearly gone on most original cars.

A seller on Ebay would advertise one pair of NOS guides for a pretty hefty amount. Every week, the pair would sell, only to be replaced by another pair for sale the following week. I became convinced that he had a warehouse full of them and was metering them out one pair at a time to maintain the illusion of rarity.

Kind of like the diamond business? :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Fisher on Monday, December 26, 2016 - 03:32 pm:

LOL. I only had one threader. But who knows what else I'll pull out of that old garage we bought. And , while I knew the rarity of the tool, I would've been happy with the $199.00 I started the auction at....so the $769 is a nice bonus. Its been fun watching you guys talk about it.
Take care, Bill

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Monday, December 26, 2016 - 03:34 pm:

Happy for you, Bill.

It's party time! Drinks are on Bill. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Monday, December 26, 2016 - 04:14 pm:

Good for you Bill! Happy New Years!!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Monday, December 26, 2016 - 08:06 pm:

Bill, Since you say your are still pulling stuff out of the garage. Here is something for you to look at. Any Stevens tool is usually a good item to find. Even pieces of the bigger tools are worth finding, so pay attention to all the little loose parts or look for parts that could have been taken off a bigger tool. By looking at their catalog, you may recognize something. I should have linked this sooner, but who knows what you may find. Anyway, glad it did well....

http://mtfci2002.readyhosting.com/mtfci_pubs/stevens_tool_catalog_bw/stevens_too l_catalog_bw.htm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Monday, December 26, 2016 - 08:18 pm:

You Rock Donnie!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Fisher on Monday, December 26, 2016 - 09:46 pm:

Ive sold a lot of Stevens tools out of the garage, like a Stevens inner drive shaft sleeve puller, and Stevens Walden Worcester aligning tool, Stevens spring spreader.........lots of neat Stevens stuff. Some of the stuff is rotten from getting wet from a leaky roof over the last 45 years. Its slow going because of time constraints, and boxes of junk everywhere. I have alot of smaller hand tools. I also have some Mossberg stuff, but its not in very good condition.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration