New to me 22

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: New to me 22
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ronald meeder on Sunday, December 18, 2016 - 10:15 pm:

When was this T built, 6291239,this is a coupe, not restored, been in the garage for over 50 years, engine free and looks like a little TLC and it will run. Will post a pict, Ron

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker in Sumter SC on Monday, December 19, 2016 - 06:57 am:

Ron,

Bottom line up front -- it isn't as simple as we would like it to be. "If" your engine was original to the car, I believe your engine would have likely been assembled into a car sometime from Jul 22, 1922 to the middle or end of Aug 22.

Additional details:

Your engine number 6,291,239 was included in the serial numbers listed on the Highland Park engine log under Jul 21, 1922. The numbers that day went from 6,286,880 and went through 6,292,134. (Ref page 527 Bruce McCalley's "Model T Ford.")

"IF" the engine is original to the car and "IF" the car was assembled at the main Highland Park Plant then since is was 895 engines from the end of the day's engines produced, it would have likely have been installed on Jul 22, 1922.

But - many cars have had their engines swapped out over the years. So posting some photos of the car will allow folks to see if that engine number logically fits in the coupe and chassis that you have. A coupe produced in that time frame would have had the doors hinged at the rear and we call them "suicide" doors. If they come open when driving the moving air will open them wider.

Also note that Ford had numerous assembly plants. If your car was assembled at one of those, then it would have been a later date. Likely within a week or so but not the date the engine number is included on the engine logs. For Calendar year 1922 production of Coupes the Highland Park Plant assembled 16,400 coupes. The total number of coupes assembled in the USA was 197,988. (Ref page 464 Bruce.) So only about 8.3 percent of the Coupes were made at Highland Park during calendar year 1922.

Finally, some engines were assembled at other assembly plants. In those cases, blocks of engine numbers were sent to the assembly plant along with the parts to assemble the engine. In those cases it could be days or weeks before the engine was assembled and the engine number was stamped onto that engine. (Ref page 501 Bruce McCalley's "Model T Ford.") And sometimes the branch assembly plant would send the engine numbers back to the main plant. When that occurred those earlier numbers would be used during a normal days production. For example on page 515 of Bruce's book, the engine log shows 200 numbers from 2,461,201 to 2,462,400 were sent to Long Island NY on Jan 7, 1918. And then on Jan 16, 1918 those same 200 numbers were returned to Highland Park.

And welcome to a great hobby! If you haven't read the safety items about the Model Ts please see the posting at:
http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/599638/696360.html Recommend you review those -- the T was made long before OSHA. It is at that thread and at the posting "By Hap Tucker in Sumter SC on Saturday, November 26, 2016 - 09:20 pm:"

And yes, please post pictures (file size needs to be 250 kb or less.

Respectfully submitted,

Hap l9l5 cut off

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tyler searle on Monday, December 19, 2016 - 07:18 am:

Hey Ron

I'm just down the road from you in Randolph. Have an 87 yr. old friend that's been working on T's his hole life and we would be happy to come out give you a hand sometime.

Welcome to the Model T world. You're in good hands with this bunch.

Tyler

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Monday, December 19, 2016 - 09:20 am:

Hap: question..re "For example on page 515 of Bruce's book, the engine log shows 200 numbers from 2,461,201 to 2,462,400 were sent to Long Island NY on Jan 7, 1918. And then on Jan 16, 1918 those same 200 numbers were returned to Highland Park."...here's my dumb question...if "they" sent those 200 numbers to L.I. one week, and sent them back to H.P. the following week, would that have meant those 200 numbers ended up not being used at L.I.? If so, then I wonder what numbers were used on the L.I. engine blocks upon installing into cars there. Am I making any sense, 'cause sometimes (at least to me) this numbering system doesn't!! Ha ha. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker in Sumter SC on Tuesday, December 20, 2016 - 07:24 am:

Tim,

Good questions. I don't think it will have a short easy answer. I will need to work on that one a little more.

Respectfully submitted,

Hap l9l5 cut off

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ronald meeder on Tuesday, December 20, 2016 - 10:17 pm:

Tyler, welcome to come and look and give advice anytime, Ron 716-753-0056, good site lots of info ty

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration