Favorite Tow Vehicle picture

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Favorite Tow Vehicle picture
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob on Upper Texas Gulf Coast on Monday, December 19, 2016 - 07:28 am:

On occasions there have been various posts regarding tow vehicles. This is one of my favorite tow vehicle pictures. Taken at an event at Texas World Speedway near College Station, Texas.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Jefferson, Ohio on Monday, December 19, 2016 - 07:53 am:

I am amazed that the Model T Ford can pull that station wagon backwards while sitting on a trailer!

That is a sharp looking set up.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Freighter Jim on Monday, December 19, 2016 - 08:21 am:

Ha Dennis !

Good one .... :-)

Freighter Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Monday, December 19, 2016 - 09:03 am:

I remember a salesman brought a Pontiac wagon to the farm for a demo but my dad bought a Plymouth wagon in 1955. The ply was a V-8 3 on the tree with od and it was ok till the salt and brine did it's work!! After a couple of years,if you did not have a window down you choked on dust on our gravel roads of the time!! A rare sight indeed and i would think there are more model T's left that station wagons of the 50's? Bud.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Monday, December 19, 2016 - 10:32 am:

Mine is more modern.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Aaron Griffey, Hayward Ca. on Monday, December 19, 2016 - 12:15 pm:

We had a member in our club with a mid fifties Buik that he put a 4 speed Ford truck transmission in to haul vehicles and to tow a 23 foot house trailer on their vacations
That old V8 would easily get started up any hill in granny gear.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Monday, December 19, 2016 - 12:24 pm:

I tried hauling a Model T on an open trailer with the top up one time... been there done that did not get a T shirt

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George n LakeOzark,Missourah on Monday, December 19, 2016 - 04:32 pm:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Coiro on Monday, December 19, 2016 - 10:52 pm:

This would be the car on my wish-list for a tow vehicle; the 1960 Chrysler.
Plenty of power and weight for towing.
Looks like a Batmobile, doesn't it?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Monday, December 19, 2016 - 11:15 pm:

I like the 60 Chrysler, but prefer the DeSoto, if for no other reason
than the name. Tell someone you drive a Chrysler, no big deal. Tell
them you drive a DeSoto ? Deer-in-the-headlights ! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Killecut on Tuesday, December 20, 2016 - 01:30 pm:

My first one was a 1950 Ford F-1 panel truck with original flathead engine. It easily towed my open trailer and 14 touring 65 mph. I used it from 1976 until 1991 when I bought a new F-150 with a 302. I used the 91 until 2004 when I bought an enclosed trailer and ordered a new F-250 with a V-10 engine and six speed standard transmission. I still have them all. I haven't used the open trailer since I bought the enclosed one. I have had two T's in my work garage, But now I'm working on my 56 Ford convertible and decided I needed more room to work on it. I am out of garage space and it's to late in the year to start a new building here so I took a little over a week and enclosed the trailer, worked out great.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John C Codman on Tuesday, December 20, 2016 - 04:54 pm:

I love the '56 Buick wagon as a tow vehicle. Those were great for that purpose. They were very rugged, and the 322 V8 was torque-monster and nearly bulletproof.
Aaron, my hat is off to the guy who put the Ford 4-speed in the Buick. Adapters to the engine were readily available, but the Buick was a torque-tube drive - much like our beloved model Ts. The normal method of installing an open-drive transmission was to replace the Buick torque tube setup with an Oldsmobile open drive system. This is a big job as the Buick had a coil spring rear end, the Olds used leaves. There were rear frame differences.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Tuesday, December 20, 2016 - 05:00 pm:

The only bad part of any of the tow's pictured is no 5'th wheel. I have one truck so it has to handle whatever i hook it too! Bud.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Killecut on Tuesday, December 20, 2016 - 06:48 pm:

This was suppose to be attached to my above post

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed Archer Hayward, CA. on Wednesday, December 21, 2016 - 05:18 pm:

You asked!

Ed aka #4
Brand X hauling fast Ford

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill's Auto Works Wakeman, Ohio on Wednesday, December 21, 2016 - 07:16 pm:

Most of you have seen my 2 diesels & my open & enclosed trailer, but the other 2 were retired some years back. The stake body I built from the ground up as they did not make an extended cab in those years. It was retired @ 850,000 miles & the black pickup has 611,000 on it. I use it as a grocery getter now.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gene Carrothers Huntington Beach on Thursday, December 22, 2016 - 02:44 pm:

Ed, That's a darn cool picture BUT you always drive #4 cross country. Is the truck just for local touring? Hee hee

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Matthiesen on Thursday, December 22, 2016 - 03:52 pm:

Ed, Is that a 1925 or 1926 Chevy truck that is hauling #4 ? That is a nice looking truck. Do you get teased about the Chevy ? I like old Chevy's as well as old Fords but some of my friends keep teasing me about the other make.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Val Soupios on Thursday, December 22, 2016 - 04:34 pm:

This old truck was towed more often than it did the towing but what do you expect from a Chevy
!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Pat Kelly Montana on Thursday, December 22, 2016 - 05:20 pm:

We've towed thousands of miles with our F-250 HD diesel hauling horses, cows, tractors, hay, implements and Model T's.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dean Yoder, Iowa City IA. on Thursday, December 22, 2016 - 05:37 pm:

I broke the 100,000 mile mark in 2015 with this towing setup.
tow

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Matthew C. McCullough on Thursday, December 22, 2016 - 05:46 pm:

My tow vehicle, 1963 Mack B-42P,with a rollback. Best thing I've ever built/restored. Re-powered with a 237 and a Triplex transmission.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Albert Lemon on Thursday, December 22, 2016 - 06:03 pm:

Now that's a BEAUTY Matt, both of em', I'd be proud to own either or both !!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Nevin Gough on Thursday, December 22, 2016 - 06:26 pm:

'65 Studebaker with 350 Chev.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Nevin Gough on Thursday, December 22, 2016 - 06:40 pm:

Also my '95 Cherokee with '14 buick on behind.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Freighter Jim on Thursday, December 22, 2016 - 07:06 pm:

This is a GREAT thread !

Dean Yoder gets my top vote from what I have seen ... :-)

Freighter Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Eviston on Thursday, December 22, 2016 - 07:13 pm:

Within the next few months,a friend should have his tow car far enough along for pictures. '29 LaSalle Coupe.That will look real neat with those Buffalo Wires.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed Archer Hayward, CA. on Thursday, December 22, 2016 - 07:13 pm:

Gene, love driving #4 but when I take it to the historic races, gotta get in the spirit of the moment and haul it there. And Kevin, its a 1924 Model H (cone clutch) and yes I get ribbed a lot, hauling a Ford with a Chevy. I have a standard answer when I have arrived and they start in. "If I was hauling my Ford with a Ford TT I'd still be on the road because they're so slow, But..... I would be guaranteed to get there because of Ford's chassis simplicity. Less thing to go wrong and or easy to "fix" if need be. With the Chevy there's an oil pump, water pump, vacuum tank for fuel, distributor with cap, points, (single)coil, condenser, lots more things to go wrong."

Ed aka #4

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Jorgensen, Batavia, IL on Thursday, December 22, 2016 - 07:34 pm:

1971 Imperial

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Thursday, December 22, 2016 - 07:52 pm:

Dean, looks a little frosty. Is that a camper trailer or just utility?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bruce Stauffer on Friday, December 23, 2016 - 11:09 am:

Here's mine.

Truck & trailer combination.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Friday, December 23, 2016 - 11:45 am:

Cool, that is some serious towing equipment! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Freighter Jim on Friday, December 23, 2016 - 12:04 pm:

Bruce,

What do you call that ?

That is very cool !

Freighter Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Sullivan on Friday, December 23, 2016 - 12:05 pm:

What kind of power in that good lookin' C model? Dave in Bellingham,WA

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Friday, December 23, 2016 - 12:06 pm:

I tried to resist re-posting my favorite but I keep seeing this thread pop back up.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Friday, December 23, 2016 - 12:27 pm:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Pat Kelly Montana on Friday, December 23, 2016 - 03:46 pm:

OK, if you guys are going to bring out the big hardware. Here's my classic 1973 Pete. 3406 Cat motor, 13 speed, power divider rears. It will haul four T's and not know they are there. Also my constant side kick Bandit. PK

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steven Thum on Friday, December 23, 2016 - 04:05 pm:

This is us in Gothenburg Ne. towing the car to Yellow Stone National Park.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brian Billing on Friday, December 23, 2016 - 04:07 pm:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Memmelaar Jr on Friday, December 23, 2016 - 07:43 pm:

2011 F-350 Diesel with 28' Doolittle trailer

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bruce Stauffer on Friday, December 23, 2016 - 07:53 pm:

Jim, we call it the "Coke truck". 1976 model. It originally delivered Coca-Cola in California, pulled a huge race boat trailer after being restored, was sold to Ben Nighthorse Campbell in Colorado, came to Ohio and was in a distress sale in '09. No one wanted it so I came home with it. We've been to nearly every corner of the US and across Canada to Calgary for Model T tours.

Dave, a Cat 3208 with an Allison automatic behind it. Interstate speeds are no problem. It's difficult to get out of truck stops though. Drivers want to talk!

Bruce

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Doolittle on Friday, December 23, 2016 - 07:56 pm:

Boone NC Tour 2014 -- Does anyone have a pic of the vintage snub-nosed cab-over truck that someone had installed a modern rollback bed on for hauling a T? If so, please post the photo- that was one neat set up!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Friday, December 23, 2016 - 08:32 pm:

Knock on wood I have not needed it yet but my favorite tow vehicle is what ever one is pulling the trailer of shame. :-) Don't have room for a trailer or rig to pull it so if I can't drive to the tour starting point I just don't go. :-) But I might be tempted to put a hitch on my 48 very rusty F2 6 cylinder and see how it does. LOL :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Freighter Jim on Friday, December 23, 2016 - 08:41 pm:

Bruce,

Put me on the short list if you ever decide to sell it !

I like the Ford trucks I am seeing ..... :-)

Freighter Jim

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration