Old Photo - Model T Era - The Airplane Cafe, 1924, Once Located On Ventura Boulevard in the San Fernando Valley, California

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Old Photo - Model T Era - The Airplane Cafe, 1924, Once Located On Ventura Boulevard in the San Fernando Valley, California
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Monday, December 19, 2016 - 09:55 am:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Monday, December 19, 2016 - 10:14 am:

Diners came in all shapes. I remember this one on Florence Boulevard west of Figueroa Street.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Monday, December 19, 2016 - 10:18 am:

Steve, I bet the food was gassy at that joint! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Monday, December 19, 2016 - 10:35 am:

The food may have been gassy, but it was light. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Monday, December 19, 2016 - 10:37 am:

http://www.weirdca.com/location.php?location=286

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Monday, December 19, 2016 - 12:15 pm:

"Girl Wanted"

Some things never change. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kirk Peterson on Monday, December 19, 2016 - 12:30 pm:

Neat picture. I wonder what the is nearest Avenue?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Monday, December 19, 2016 - 12:31 pm:

I heard there was a $5000 fine for running an ad like that in......NYC?, I think it was? so yes, things DO change.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Monday, December 19, 2016 - 12:34 pm:

I noticed that too Burger, As the "Ghost" in Polar Express said "Aint we all"

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Horlick in Penn Valley, CA on Monday, December 19, 2016 - 01:24 pm:

Steve I love the photo. That sedan in front of the Cabriolet is a late 1929 Buick. You hardly ever see one with the fancy hub caps, earlier '29 production caps were not painted. The trunk rack is an after market accesory.

Thanks, TH

(Message edited by thorlick on December 19, 2016)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Monday, December 19, 2016 - 03:17 pm:

Van de Kamp bakeries had several windmill locations. We use to pass one in West L.A. on the way to ball games at Gilmore Field.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George n LakeOzark,Missourah on Monday, December 19, 2016 - 04:04 pm:

I wonder what they mean by "Real Chili" ?? As opposed too ??

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Monday, December 19, 2016 - 04:06 pm:

Kind of like "real cheese" made from dairy products, as opposed to "cheese food", which is made from petroleum distillates. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Monday, December 19, 2016 - 04:13 pm:

The Van de Kamp bakery was at the corner of San Fernando Rd and Fletcher Dr. They had a restaurant right on the corner and I ate many meals there. One was after the prom when I was in High School. There was a counter, a dining room and a drive-in with car hops!

There were others in the Los Angeles area. One was on the corner of Huntington Drive and Santa Anita Avenue in Arcadia. I ate breakfast there two years ago, but it was a Denny's at that time. The windmill was still there! We were celebrating the 100 year anniversary of my grandparents building a cabin in the Big Santa Anita Canyon. The cabin is still there.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kirk Peterson on Monday, December 19, 2016 - 04:21 pm:

I remember a van de kamps on Reseda blvd in the Valley

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Monday, December 19, 2016 - 04:28 pm:

I'm saving that Zep Cafe pic, as the Model A SPORT COUPE (not Cabriolet) is a dead ringer for my Model A--could even be it, as my car is a California car.
picture from many decades ago--still trying to recover my pics from my computer crash.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charlie B actually in Toms River N.J. on Monday, December 19, 2016 - 04:38 pm:

Woof . That's not the one I was thinking about when I read the title. Now I'm pretty sure I saw it here on the Forum: which diner or restaurant had an actual air craft ( bomber ?) on a pedistal out front?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Jefferson, Ohio on Monday, December 19, 2016 - 05:20 pm:

Charlie,

There was a thread but I think it was a gas station in Oregon and was next to a diner. It opened in 1947 and I think closed in the early 90's. The airplane (a large WWII bomber) was on a pedestal above the gas pumps and you fueled up under it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Monday, December 19, 2016 - 05:22 pm:

http://www.roadsideamerica.com/story/2968

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Monday, December 19, 2016 - 10:58 pm:

I went looking for that plane a couple weeks ago, but could not find it !

All has become clear to me now, Glasshoppah !

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Tuesday, December 20, 2016 - 02:54 am:

If that's the gas station I'm thinking of, the airplane is actually being restored!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Sullivan on Thursday, December 22, 2016 - 08:39 pm:

On Aurora north (hwy 99) Seattle there was an AT-6, I believe on the roof of a gas station, in the 50s and 60s. Dave in Bellingham,WA

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Martin Vowell, Sylmar, CA on Thursday, December 22, 2016 - 08:54 pm:

The last one of those Windmills I saw was on the corner of Roscoe Blvd and Reseda (I think)...it the modern style and the blades of the mill would turn and were lit at night..it's gone now though.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kirk Peterson on Thursday, December 22, 2016 - 09:10 pm:

Martin
I think you are right about the Location of the the Van de Kamps

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Thursday, December 22, 2016 - 09:54 pm:

We have a windmill still in Spokane, up in the Perry District. Have
several giant milk bottle buildings as well.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration