Old Photo - Model T Era - What A Gas!

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Old Photo - Model T Era - What A Gas!
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Monday, December 19, 2016 - 10:56 am:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Monday, December 19, 2016 - 12:10 pm:

He may have had trouble checking the fluids and cleaning the windshield.

Just sayin' ...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By charley shaver- liberal,mo. on Monday, December 19, 2016 - 12:14 pm:

simplex pump.i have one in my shop.i also make skins for them. charley

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Jefferson, Ohio on Monday, December 19, 2016 - 12:32 pm:

He may not be able to clean the windshield but he can reach the oil petcock easier then I can and lube the chassis without bending over on a Model T!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Monday, December 19, 2016 - 01:08 pm:

Darn you Dennis you basically took the words right outa my phone! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham on Monday, December 19, 2016 - 01:14 pm:

When was the last time you saw a kid that age with his shoes all shined ?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Jefferson, Ohio on Monday, December 19, 2016 - 03:46 pm:

His boss requires him to come to work with shinned shoes and a smile. He did get docked two days pay for not having his leather bow tie on though.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Green - So Cal on Monday, December 19, 2016 - 03:55 pm:

...kid died of lead poisoning.

"WoooPep" was sued and is no longer in business. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Monday, December 19, 2016 - 04:25 pm:

Nope, freshly shined not.

He was proudly wearing his new Buster Brown's to work that day!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham on Monday, December 19, 2016 - 07:45 pm:

Wow. How many of you geezers here wore "Buster Browns" when you were kids ? (I'm Buster Brown, I live in a shoe, this is my dog Tyke, he lives there too ! )

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Monday, December 19, 2016 - 10:17 pm:

Every year with our new school clothes my mother bought new steel toed Buster Brown shoes for my brother and me. We knew they were the best shoes available for us.

When my brother was around 5 or 6 he decided to find out just how good his Buster Browns were. Wearing his brand new shoes (purchased that very day), he got on his tricycle, pedaled it with one foot and dragged behind the other foot toe down. After a while of this activity he returned home with a hole worn through the leather, the steel, and his sock showing through the hole. For a minute or two I thought I'd be an only child by the end of the day. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Fischer - Arroyo Grande, CA on Monday, December 19, 2016 - 10:27 pm:

"Every year with our new school clothes......"

How many others here got by on a single pair of shoes for the school year ?

Each year before school started, my mother would take us downtown to get outfitted. That meant a new pair of shoes, hopefully large enough so we wouldn't outgrow them by end of school year. The shoes would be pretty loose when we first got them, and I usually got blisters on my heels from the back of the shoe sliding up and down on my foot.

By the end of the school year, the shoes could be pretty tight. But that's OK, we got used to them gradually as we grew.

Then summer came and we went barefoot almost all the time. Heaven help you if there was a wedding or funeral during the summer. If that happened, Mom made us shine the old shoes and wear them for the day. Boy, were they tight !

Then September came and the cycle started all over again.

Dick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Walt Berdan, Bellevue, WA on Monday, December 19, 2016 - 10:47 pm:

Dick,

That was pretty much the cycle when I was growing up. A pair of shoes, couple pair of trousers and shirts and set for the year. If the knees went in a pair of trousers they got cut off for shorts for the summer. Every Saturday afternoon the shoes got polished for church on Sunday. Sometimes used real polish but had the liquid stuff too if the shoes got real bad. Never was the best dressed kid in school and it didn't matter a bit. Dad was a carpenter, Mom was at home, and the bucks were sometimes a little tight but we didn't miss meals so were better off than lots of others and glad of it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Monday, December 19, 2016 - 11:16 pm:

At the shoe store you would stick your feet into the fluoroscope and look into the viewer to see the bones in your feet inside the shoes. Pretty neat. I don't remember any lines of people waiting to use it. I guess the novelty had worn off by then. Eventually somebody figured out that it wasn't such a great idea.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QVlEXd9w7vk

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Monday, December 19, 2016 - 11:23 pm:

Hey, it's only death, right ?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Fischer - Arroyo Grande, CA on Monday, December 19, 2016 - 11:53 pm:

I was one of the kids who hung around at the front of the store and then snuck in and looked at the bones in my feet when the shoe salesman was busy with a customer. The salesman would always spot us and chase us off.

Luckily, the salesman was pretty diligent and I don't remember spending more than a couple of seconds wiggling my toes.

Dick

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration