OT - My first organized old car tour (or perhaps I should say "organised")

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: OT - My first organized old car tour (or perhaps I should say "organised")
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Lodge - St Louis MO on Monday, December 19, 2016 - 05:49 pm:

In April 1974, Anja and I were living in Holland and we decided we wanted an old car. We ended up buying a 1936 Austin Ten Sherborne and initially I think we assumed we had the only antique Austin in the country. Later that year, we were out driving and were pulled over by a fellow who was also an Austin owner, Jody Kaldenberg. Through Jody, we became members of the Austin Ten Drivers Club in England. In the summer of 1975, the ATDC organized a Continental Tour. A group of English families crossed from Dover to Belgium and stayed at various campgrounds for two weeks. (The English tour organizer saw to it that every campground we stayed at was within a mile of a Trappist brewery. Our kind of tour!). This video was just reposted on Facebook, but since it's Youtube, it should be visible to everyone.

The challenge, for those of you who know me and knew Anja, is to pick out the versions of us from 41 years ago. Hint: our Austin is blue and the license is PD-34-03. We also made a welcome banner from an old bedsheet and can be seen holding it as the English drove off the ferry. (By the way, the arrival was not in France, but in Belgium - the subtitle is wrong.)

This is the tour that probably planted the "old car tour bug" that kept us occupied for years.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tlBDKZvHUrs

(Message edited by dick_lodge__st_louis_mo on December 19, 2016)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Findlay on Tuesday, December 20, 2016 - 12:02 am:

Thanks for sharing that great video. It was a different time back then. Touring was very enjoyable and low key. Wish we could do it that way again. My first tour was in 1961 when I was a kid and Dad had an Auburn. I have wonderful memories of those days.
Ken

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Tuesday, December 20, 2016 - 02:50 am:

Dick L, Thank you for the look back. I was still in high school when I began joining antique car clubs, and was driving on local club tours before I graduated. It is a wonderful hobby for young, old, and whole families alike!
Watching your video made me think about some of the tours I went on in those days.
Drive carefully, and enjoy, W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Tuesday, December 20, 2016 - 07:11 am:

That was fun! I wonder how many of those couples still have their Austins?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Blake, Kansas City on Tuesday, December 20, 2016 - 08:13 am:

OT also. Really obscure trivia question: Between 8:55 and 8:60, the footage is a bit blurry but I think I spotted a "Noddy". Anyone know what that refers to?

That was a great video. Simpler times.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Tuesday, December 20, 2016 - 09:21 am:

Great video! I'd swear early into it I saw Sylvester Stallone! Cute cars.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Lodge - St Louis MO on Tuesday, December 20, 2016 - 11:29 am:

Royce, don't know about everyone but am in touch with several still. Jody Kaldenberg has two or three Austins now (had one in 1975), Brian and Sylvia Snipp do, Peter Winney does, and Menno and Anneke Pothof do (I think). I still have mine as well, but it resides in my daughter and son-in-law's garage.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration