4th generation shop

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: 4th generation shop
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By jim mccathren on Monday, December 19, 2016 - 08:29 pm:

Parts for old cars should be made on old equipment. This shop is 4th generation and much of the equipment is dated prior to 1900 and still runs on leather belts. I'm lucky enough to have these guys a few blocks from my office. This was a TV special on them and their shop: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BckZ4i1BzF0. Tommy comes to work in his Model A pickup. Best deals are had if you go in at 9:30 for Dr. Pepper and peanuts and spend a half hour talking about old cars. Very few of these shops left. They have been a tremendous asset in the McCathren Special build.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Monday, December 19, 2016 - 09:04 pm:

There is an old shop near where I live almost like that one. It is 3 generations now. My mentor and teacher when I was starting to learn to machine, was the original first generation owner. Same type of antique tools, line shafting, and all. Their shop has finally received a concrete floor in all the rooms but one shed. The shed has the 40 foot long, Cinncinatti lathe in it. There is very little that they can not build in that old shop. Jim thanks for the link ....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Monday, December 19, 2016 - 10:28 pm:

You mean to tell me, I bring something in here for you to
fix, and you're going to take a welding rod and figure it out
in the dirt ? :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C on Wednesday, December 21, 2016 - 12:35 am:

Now Jim, that was completely called for!
Thank you!
Gotta have break time. Ya must!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Richmon - Richmond, VA on Wednesday, December 21, 2016 - 06:48 am:

Fantastic, thanks for sharing. I'm going to get another cup of coffee now & draw in the dirt! Love it!!!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Wednesday, December 21, 2016 - 09:30 am:

Reminds me of my long gone neighbor on the next farm! When brought two large gears to restore missing teeth,he cut a template out of cardboard from the good teeth and went to welding!! When i asked why the wires from the shop to the barn were taped up about 3 feet he said,I once built a 36' Ferris Wheel and when the carnival would not pay i scraped it! The only thing i saved was the wire for the lights on each spoke of the wheel! Years later he showed me a picture of his son sitting/riding the Ferris Wheel!!! If you look you might find?? Bud in Wheeler,Mi.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John C Codman on Wednesday, December 21, 2016 - 09:54 am:

I loved that video! That's the way it's supposed to work. I'd love to be young Pierce if I had it to do over again.
Years ago I actually did work in a machine shop. Some of the lathes were ancient. When the shop owner was asked why he didn't replace them he was very unsentimental (there was quite a bit of modern machinery in the shop), he said that if he could buy new lathes of the quality of the 40-year old equipment, he would buy them in an instant. He's gone now - I don't know if the shop is still there, but I like to think that those ancient lathes are still somewhere turning out precision-machined products today.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Wednesday, December 21, 2016 - 09:54 am:

I hope that old fella lives forever. Not enough people like that anymore.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Wednesday, December 21, 2016 - 10:13 am:

I bet they could even make a new spindle for the right side on your 1909 touring!

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration