Model A wheels

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Model A wheels
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jason Given - St. Paul, MN on Tuesday, December 20, 2016 - 01:47 am:

I have a stock 26, with wood wheels. I have heard over the years that Model A wheels will fit with an adaptor plate.

I found 13 model A wheels that all look nice, total cost $1700 along with alot of other model A parts including a right hand steering box.

Does the price sound reasonable? I really only want the wheels, bit if cows with a frame and hundreds of other mechanical parts, no body or engine, looks like a transmission is included.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jason Given - St. Paul, MN on Tuesday, December 20, 2016 - 01:54 am:

Android auto correct, some days I hate it.

Bit if cows = but it comes

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Tuesday, December 20, 2016 - 02:10 am:

Jason, I know of 3 different types of A wheels. None bring as much as T wire wheels, so $1300 seems a bit high to me. Others will have a better idea of US prices. Be aware that the adaptors for A wheels to T are also not cheap.

Hope this helps.
Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank Kelley on Tuesday, December 20, 2016 - 02:10 am:

Hi Jason,
Lang's have the adaptor plates - about $600 + shipping. I put model A wheels on my '22 touring and feel much safer with them - of course I also have disc brakes. You should be able to buy Model A wheels for $50 ea. or less in your area. On the other hand, if your '26 woods are in good shape you might save a lot of $ by using them. Since the spokes are shorter than the earlier ones I don't think they tend to break. Just my opinion - I'm sure you'll get quite a few others.
Frank

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Peterson on Tuesday, December 20, 2016 - 07:34 am:

Hi Jason, Model A wheels are worth $25 or less. I have quite a few I would sell. I am about 50 miles from you, Bob.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank Kelley on Tuesday, December 20, 2016 - 10:45 am:

There you go, Jason. I should have mentioned if you use '28-'29 wheels they are for the same size tire as your '26 and the hub caps are very similar in appearance to the Model T wire wheel. Someone sells caps that "snap" on rather than the ones that have the tabs that have to be bent over and usually are loose and rattle. Your woods in the picture on the forum look great, however.
Frank

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Brough on Tuesday, December 20, 2016 - 11:02 am:

I agree with the $25 value on A wire wheels. I am creating my WWI machine gun carrier on a 1915 platform, but like the look of wire wheels. Bubba had taken A wire wheels and welded them through the lug holes and around the perimeter to T hubs and I'm comfortable riding on them. Remember that some A wire wheels are 21? and some are 19", so I went with the 21" and used the 4.50 x 21 tire from Summit racing for $99 each and I'm a happy camper.

If you buy the A wheels and only use 5 for your car, you will be disappointed in what the left overs will bring.

If they are already sandblaster and ready for paint, that save you an extra $20 per wheel, but IMO it's still only a investment worth hundreds, not thousands of dollars.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Brough on Tuesday, December 20, 2016 - 11:07 am:

These are the A wire wheels that will fit with no adapters needed for $200 each, so you could get the real deal for less that the A wheels and have to get adapters.
http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/3487/703981.html?1482097305

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Tuesday, December 20, 2016 - 11:16 am:

Jason,

I'll second what most have said here. I'll also state that complicating your project by buying a lot of "stuff" you don't need isn't worth the bother of hauling, cleaning, advertising & selling it off, maybe for far too little, (a very real possibility). Spend less, buy what you need and focus on your goal.

Frankly, and it's just my opinion, I think your time and money are better spent getting actual Model T wire wheels. In the long run, they'll make your car look correct and add to the value of the car. Again, just me, if I were looking to buy a car with "A" wheels on it, I would consider that I'm getting a car that's missing all 4 wheels. Maybe "A" wheels are cheaper, but those $600 adapters may just close the price gap.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Tuesday, December 20, 2016 - 11:37 am:

Yes but you would still have to buy all 4 wire wheel hubs, maybe new bearings and races. That could put you about where the adapters would run anyway, maybe more. Then hope the front races are tight in the hub to start with. Most T wire wheels that are any good seem to run in the 100-150 range so by time you are done I think the adapters and A wheels might be less in cost.
Now if you have good 26-27 wire wheel hubs sitting on your shelf that's a different story.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Tuesday, December 20, 2016 - 12:02 pm:

I've seen nice looking sets of T wires & hubs for around $750. Needing paint of course. Assumed the hubs were good. Even if you paid $1000, you can still sell your existing wheels for something.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jason Given - St. Paul, MN on Tuesday, December 20, 2016 - 04:56 pm:

Not sure how to tell different year model A wheels from each other. he is selling the items as a "lot" of 1930 rolling chassis and miscellaneous other Model A spare parts. there is at least 12 wheels. 4 look really nice, painted sand suppose they have new tires on those 4.

The condition of my current wooden wheels, two are in great shape, I made new spokes. two are questionable, the previous owner made the spokes out of red oak. Been meaning to make new spokes for those two. just have not had time since I moved.

I have most of the mechanical parts to make a speeder except the body and good Wheels it was part of my thought some of these wheels could be for the a future speeder.

Sounds like I should pass up these components. I really have no way to get them home in the next few months anyways as I have a torn up shoulder, had surgery 2 weeks ago and am not suppose to use that arm for a minimum of 6 weeks.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By dale w on Tuesday, December 20, 2016 - 05:06 pm:

here's a better deal if you really want some "A wheels- and a lot of other parts as well....

https://nmi.craigslist.org/pts/5890694210.html

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Peterson on Tuesday, December 20, 2016 - 05:25 pm:

Hi Jason, Call me, 507 458 6778. Bob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ted Dumas on Tuesday, December 20, 2016 - 05:37 pm:

If your wood wheels are as good as they look, then I suggest you get it over it and motor happily down the road for may years to come with your wood wheels.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John P. Steele on Tuesday, December 20, 2016 - 05:47 pm:

Jason by the time you get done buying A wheels and adapters you will be with in a $100 or $200 of buying 26-27 T wires and hubs. Call Bob P and see what he has, also Andy Loso and Mike Peterson are not that far from you.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Wednesday, December 21, 2016 - 01:42 am:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Model-t-Ford-1926-27-Lot-of-Wire-Wheels-w-Front-and-Rear -Hubs-/252690667719?hash=item3ad58998c7:g:eb8AAOSwA3dYWe-t&vxp=mtr

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Benjamin Morgan - Metamora, Indiana on Wednesday, December 21, 2016 - 01:52 am:

Mark, that's my eBay lisiting. I have them in the forum classifieds for alot less.

Benji

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Wednesday, December 21, 2016 - 02:42 am:

RED alert. That is a red oak alert!
Jason, In your posting at 4:56 pm yesterday/Tuesday, you stated " I made new spokes. two are questionable, the previous owner made the spokes out of red oak."
Anything "questionable" is a big red flag, especially if it involves wheels, suspension, steering, or brakes.
Oak in general, red oak or white oak specifically, should NEVER be used for automobile wheel spokes! Oak is very hard, but too brittle for spoke use in general. It may arguably be used for spokes in SOME trucks with top speeds of under 20 mph , and maybe on fellies for some cars. That use does not subject the wood to the stresses and flexing that automobile spokes require.
I like wood wheels. Always have. And I am one of the few left that has driven model T racing cars at racing speeds on a half-mile dirt track. Wood wheels are a lot stronger than most people would think. But only if they are in good condition, and proper wood is used in them.
Welcome to the affliction!
Drive carefully, and enjoy, W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Clayton Swanson on Wednesday, December 21, 2016 - 12:06 pm:

and, with any wire wheel you will find that once you mount it on a hub and spin it, about one in five are true

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Wednesday, December 21, 2016 - 01:32 pm:

Jason,

To answer your earlier question, the 28/29 wheels take smaller hub caps than the 30/31 style. Also, the 28/29 take 21" tires, while the 30/31 take 19" tires.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Wednesday, December 21, 2016 - 01:53 pm:

And the 21's have a rounded bead like the T and the 19's are flat like a modern car.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration