Old Photo - "Good Roads" Road Crew At Work, 1925.

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Old Photo - "Good Roads" Road Crew At Work, 1925.
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Tuesday, December 20, 2016 - 09:03 am:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Tuesday, December 20, 2016 - 09:24 am:

Woops! We didn't make it wide enough!

Nice one again Jay

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Tuesday, December 20, 2016 - 10:02 am:

It looks like a sidewalk being installed alongside an unpaved road.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Tuesday, December 20, 2016 - 10:19 am:

How many were flopped on its side with that set up ?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Tuesday, December 20, 2016 - 10:33 am:

The batch plant had to be nearby. The combined effects of hauling concrete in a box instead of a mixer and the limited speed of a TT would provide an extremely limited range. Any attempt to travel too far would result in arriving at the job site with a large concrete brick. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Tuesday, December 20, 2016 - 12:28 pm:

That looks like sub-bed gravel being dumped to me. Not
concrete.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Eviston on Tuesday, December 20, 2016 - 01:52 pm:

Burger,you are right.The cement would be mixed in a mixer,which could also have been on atruck chassis.Also the mixer could be a self contained unit on a trailer,powered by a gas engine.The actual work done by antique equipment fascinates me as much as the machinery itself.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Tuesday, December 20, 2016 - 02:32 pm:

I thought the same thing Burger but Im just a wood butcher.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Longbranch,WA on Tuesday, December 20, 2016 - 05:13 pm:

I believe it's concrete - the fellows behind the strike-off or screed (clearly showing "mud" humped up in front of it) are finishing. I'm a retired "concrete interstate road builder" by trade. Widest our company paved was 42' down in Southern Utah - 1982 - 1985 - 26 miles of it !

There's another batch waiting for that truck to finish up. The one side appears to be 8" steel forms - my uncle was a "form setter" until the company bought a Guntert Slip-form paver in the early 60's.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Tuesday, December 20, 2016 - 05:29 pm:

I see what your saying Steve but Ide sure hate to finish that batch if you can stand on it before screed

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Longbranch,WA on Tuesday, December 20, 2016 - 07:21 pm:

Yes, I'd say it was low slump which is what we batched out for slip-form work BUT then we had a couple dozen monster vibrators across the front of the machine !

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Tuesday, December 20, 2016 - 09:31 pm:

Spose that young lad is using his hand on the low pedal to stay clear? If the kid gets it right he can save a lot of shovel work! Bud.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Longbranch,WA on Tuesday, December 20, 2016 - 10:22 pm:

Or, if it had a Warford in under-drive, he could just walk along side !

Really a great photo !

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Matthiesen on Wednesday, December 21, 2016 - 02:10 am:

I think the TT driver is stepping out on the running board to some what counter the side dump load plus he can see the dumping better. Kind of like those catamaran sailors due in high winds. As for the concrete mix, it does look like some type of low slump mix, but I don't know how they are getting it tamped and finished. The truck probably has a Aux-trans and can crawl along in Ford high.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration