Original Ocean to Ocean Model T set up

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Original Ocean to Ocean Model T set up
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Blanchard on Tuesday, December 20, 2016 - 08:50 pm:

Hey guys,
Looking over the set up of the Model T in the race and I can't find what they took with them in the trunk/box. I checked the forum for mention, but I have yet to read/see how they set up for the race.
Anyone know of any articles that say what they took with them?
I understand that they laid out the route to their advantage to use the ford dealerships along the way but between these dealerships what was taken for "just in case"
Or better yet are there any pictures showing the rear trunk set up with the canvas off?
Thanks in advance!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Tuesday, December 20, 2016 - 09:32 pm:

They had a truck full of spares including at least one complete spare engine.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George John Drobnock on Wednesday, December 21, 2016 - 09:01 am:

Those interested in the race can see some information here.

Ocean to Ocean by Model T Henry Ford and the
1909 Transcontinental Auto Contest, Journal of Sport History, Vol. 18, No. 2 (Summer, 1991)Terrence M. Cole Associate Professor of History University of Alaska Fairbanks

http://library.la84.org/SportsLibrary/JSH/JSH1991/JSH1802/jsh1802c.pdf

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Wednesday, December 21, 2016 - 03:41 pm:

There was nothing under the tarp on the back of the New York to Seattle Model T racers.

Just empty space, that is what Henry wanted, light weight, the little Ford winning its way.

However, after the finish, that rear area lost its tarp and was covered with ropes used for pulling and towing the racer from perils.

True too, the oil can is really a cobbled up gas tank, as the rear tank exploded and almost burned up the racer at a filling stop when someone lit a cigar.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Blanchard on Thursday, December 22, 2016 - 08:11 am:

Since they didn't need to carry any critical parts (They had the Ford dealers along the way and truck full of parts) Is it safe to say that the trunk box was used for fuel tank (probably a larger than usual tank) and ropes/pulleys/food

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Thursday, December 22, 2016 - 09:49 am:

If any would want to see a very good account of the race,and many pictures the book Tin Lizzie by stern!! Bud in Wheeler,Mi.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Craig Leach on Thursday, December 22, 2016 - 02:46 pm:

I worked on a very authentic reproduction of the #1 car that was in the Pratte collection. It had two large tanks in the back. One was gas & I think the other had two caps for oil & water. Anyway there was two large tanks & no other gas tank in it.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration