Torque for head bolts

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Torque for head bolts
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Clark on Tuesday, December 20, 2016 - 09:24 pm:

can any of you fellows give me the torque specs for a Neil jern chev head conversion? (I lost my instruction sheet!) drat!
merry Christmas to all
cheers
Allan

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Zibell, Huntsville, AL on Wednesday, December 21, 2016 - 09:53 am:

I would think the limiting factor is the torque the block can withstand. About 50 lb-ft is what most recommend for head torque. Most important is to use a good sequence and have all evenly torqued.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Wednesday, December 21, 2016 - 09:55 am:

Like John said.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Wednesday, December 21, 2016 - 10:39 am:

Is the question about the plate to head or the head to plate torque? Or both? If you google "Jern Thunderbolt", last time I looked the instructions were still on line. I do not recall if the torque values were listed.
This page for the 1928 Chevrolet shows the settings for gap which should still be good for what you are working on;
http://chevy.oldcarmanualproject.com/chevyresto/2808.htm
Have you done the heat cool cycle on the aluminum plate before going on to mount the head?
The other thing you might try is google :mtfca; Chevrolet head". There are several people that have mounted his conversion, send a PM to them.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Gould, Folsom, CA on Wednesday, December 21, 2016 - 12:02 pm:

I have a bit of a different take on head bolt torque. If you have the original threads in the block, go no further than 45 ft lbs.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Wednesday, December 21, 2016 - 12:06 pm:

Agree with Richard. I pulled threads on half the head bolts in a 1913 block torqueing it to 50 LB - FT. If you helicoil all the holes then you can lessen that possibility.

I don't typically use a torque wrench on a Model T. I use a Ford head bolt wrench and good practices when installing. See here:

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/599638/696918.html?1480640568

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charlie Dill in Stamford, CT on Wednesday, December 21, 2016 - 03:57 pm:

I'm about to reinstall a Z Head (aluminum) on my T. In my panic over the fear of making a mistake, I've kept a close eye on these discussions. I'm pretty sure that for my aluminum head, the torque is 45 ft/lb. And that for the steel heads, it's 5-10 higher.

There's also the discussion of re-tightening. I'd love some further discussion about this. I hear install, heat up engine, re-torque. I've also heard Install, heat up engine, complete cool down, re-torque.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Wednesday, December 21, 2016 - 04:20 pm:

This question has noting to do with Z heads or aluminum heads or cast iron heads. The question is what is the torque for the recessed cap screws holding the adapter plate to the T block or the bolts holding the Chevrolet head to the the adapter plate when using the Jern Thunderbolt aluminum adapter plate. If you don't know what the adapter plate is/was google it so you'll have a better understanding. While yes the 45 is good for "OTHER" application it may not be what Jern asked for in the His instructions.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Wednesday, December 21, 2016 - 05:44 pm:

I bet that you don't want to pull the threads out of the block. A head gasket is a head gasket.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Wednesday, December 21, 2016 - 05:55 pm:

While that may be true to a point, by time the approx 1 inch thick aluminum plate is counter sunk for the cap screws you only have about 5/8 thickness under the bolt head...Never mind. I hope he gets his answer.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration