O.T. Car identification please?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: O.T. Car identification please?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dane Hawley Near Melbourne Australia on Wednesday, December 21, 2016 - 05:16 am:

With all of you knowledgeable folks here, perhaps someone can identify the make and year of this car for me please?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Wednesday, December 21, 2016 - 07:21 am:

I think it is about a 1926 Chrysler.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank van Ekeren (Australia) on Wednesday, December 21, 2016 - 03:10 pm:

Maybe a little earlier, 1922? It doesn't look like it has front brakes.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Wednesday, December 21, 2016 - 03:20 pm:

I believe the first car to bear the Chrysler name came out in 1924. Didn't all Chryslers have hydraulic four wheel brakes from the start?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Wednesday, December 21, 2016 - 03:36 pm:

Yes, the first Chrysler was a 24. Walter put hydraulic brakes all around
from the very start.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dane Hawley Near Melbourne Australia on Thursday, December 22, 2016 - 04:01 am:

So, perhaps not a Chrysler then?
I was guessing that is was something of the equal to a Buick or Packard, but obviously it is not one of those.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Thursday, December 22, 2016 - 11:34 am:

1924 or 1925 Maxwell; (maybe)
https://www.google.com/search?q=1925+Maxwell&newwindow=1&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa =X&ved=0ahUKEwi698eYnIjRAhUG1CYKHe0OCXQQ_AUICCgB&biw=1280&bih=844
If so, there is a Chrysler connection both Maxwell and Chrysler were under the same management (WP Chrysler) roof at that time. I think the Maxwell became Plymouth in 1926.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Val Soupios on Thursday, December 22, 2016 - 01:15 pm:

I think 1928 was when Maxwell was rebadged as Plymouth. Chalmers and Maxwell had merged prior to the acquisition by Chrysler. I have an early Plymouth and it has pistons marked Chalmers in it so Walter P. like Henry did not waste anything but continued to use up what inventory he had until the supply was exhausted.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Thursday, December 22, 2016 - 01:34 pm:

Yes it was 1928, was thinking it was earlier. Only missed by by a little, ok 2 years! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Layden Butler on Thursday, December 22, 2016 - 02:02 pm:

With short hood, 4 lug wheels and no front brakes, I am thinking 1926-28 4 cylinder Chrysler.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Thursday, December 22, 2016 - 02:38 pm:

Layden, I don't think there were any cars bearing the Chrysler nameplate that came with two wheel brakes. If you have evidence that says otherwise, I'd love to see it, thanks! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Thursday, December 22, 2016 - 04:01 pm:

Actually the four cylinder Maxwells were rebadged as Chrysler in 1926. The four cylinder Chryslers were rebadged in 1928 as Plymouth.

I still think the car in the photo is a 1926 Chrysler and it probably has front brakes that you can't see in the photo. The 1925 final year Maxwells don't have the distinctive body molding of the 1926 Chrysler.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank van Ekeren (Australia) on Thursday, December 22, 2016 - 04:15 pm:

If it's got front brakes, then the drum must be the same size as the bearing hub, which we know wouldn't be the case, you can see the grass through the spokes at the valve, the full length of the spokes.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Val Soupios on Thursday, December 22, 2016 - 04:22 pm:

You are right Royce, I left a step out!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Thursday, December 22, 2016 - 05:22 pm:

So open the link and look at the photos. Looks like the ones shown.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Layden Butler on Thursday, December 22, 2016 - 07:13 pm:

Mark,
The 4 cylinder Maxwell was rebadged and sold as the Chrysler F-58 for 1926, Series 50 for 1927 and Series 52 for 1928. They had 2 wheel mechanical brakes with 2 wheel hydraulics optional. Maxwells have 6 lug wheels, Chrysler 4 cylinders have 4 lugs.
Royce,
The second rebadge to Plymounth came July 7 1928 with the Plymouth introduction at the Madison Square Garden Show. It was considered by Chrysler to be a 1929 model. 4 wheel hydraulic brakes were a Plymouth upgrade.

Above info from STANDARD CATALOG OF AMERICAN CARS by Kimes and Clark

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Thursday, December 22, 2016 - 07:47 pm:

Thanks Layden, I guess I learned something today! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Thursday, December 22, 2016 - 07:49 pm:

It is a bit confusing since the Chrysler 70 series 6 cylinder was introduced in 1925.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Layden Butler on Thursday, December 22, 2016 - 08:28 pm:

Royce,
Again from SCOAC, The new make Chrysler was introduced at the Hotel Commodore, New York Auto Show in January of 1924. This new 6 cylinder was the Model B-70. The B-70 was continued for 1925 and became the G70 for 1926. All had 4 wheel hydraulic brakes from the start.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration