Old Photo - Model T Era Gas Station In Holy City, California

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Old Photo - Model T Era Gas Station In Holy City, California
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Wednesday, December 21, 2016 - 10:23 am:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Wednesday, December 21, 2016 - 11:15 am:

My paternal grandfather lived for about 30 years just a stones throw from Holy City, which is located on the "Old Santa Cruz Highway". It connected Los Gatos, CA (San Jose area) to Santa Cruz, CA. Later, the old highway was replaced by CA 17. I've been there but I don't remember that building. Probably before my time.....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Wednesday, December 21, 2016 - 11:20 am:

Wow, an early tourist trap!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rick J. Gunter -- Sparta, Missouri, USA on Wednesday, December 21, 2016 - 11:36 am:

Okay, this is a little confusing. Why are they advertising both Shell and Gilmore gasoline?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Wednesday, December 21, 2016 - 11:38 am:

Read the sign:

"Name your gas or oil / we have it"

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Wednesday, December 21, 2016 - 05:21 pm:

I remember going through there many years ago!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rick J. Gunter -- Sparta, Missouri, USA on Friday, December 23, 2016 - 10:55 am:

Yeah, I see that sign but I still don't understand. Is this an independent gas station? Did oil companies allow stations to carry multiple brands?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank Harris from Long Beach, CA on Friday, December 23, 2016 - 01:01 pm:

In a small town things can happen in order to make folks happy. I the little town of Avalon on Catalina Island they had a hardware store that sold any make of refrigerators and washing machines and it was also a Radio Shack store too. Only one gas station on the island though and it was Standard gas/

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Addington on Friday, December 23, 2016 - 01:10 pm:

When I was a kid there was both a Shell and a Chevron station in town. I was a long ways to bring gas into the area so when if one station needed a little gas to get them through they would just barrow some from the other and visa versa. However I do remember that it was usually delivered in the night.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Saturday, December 24, 2016 - 09:37 am:

I think there are still parts of that old highway that still exist.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Saturday, December 24, 2016 - 10:12 am:

Larry,

I believe it's mostly still there and and can be used. To the best of my knowledge the only missing part is from the upper end (more or less) of Lexington Reservoir down to Los Gatos. This section was flooded as a part of the Lexington Dam project in the early 1950's. Also gone is the town of Alma which existed along that stretch of highway and, when the dam is full, under water. It was located at the bottom of the Cavenaugh Gulch, which you can still drive to by taking Alma Bridge Road to Soda Springs Road, then heading up from there.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Saturday, December 24, 2016 - 10:36 am:

Holy City was owned by a pseudo religious racist cult leader named William Riker. He was a real nut. He had the gas station which had an eighteen seat outhouse (nice) and was known to swindle people and was rumored to have committed several unsolved murders. Creepy place. Here are a couple images found with Google:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Saturday, December 24, 2016 - 06:16 pm:

Thanks Royce! I remember hearing a few stories of that place when I was little.
As for driving there now? One of our Endurance Runs went through that area about ten years ago. We zigzagged around and on the old highways in that area for about an hour. I don't think we went through what was Holy City that year because we were mostly heading Northwest at the time. Beautiful area to drive any kind of car, especially an open speedster!
Drive carefully, and enjoy the holidays! W2

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration