Adjusting a a stromberg OS-1

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Adjusting a a stromberg OS-1
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Daniel Kraft on Wednesday, December 21, 2016 - 12:32 pm:

I have a rebuilt stromberg OS-1 that I want to put on my model T. Can anybody school me on how to calibrate it? Thank you.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Wednesday, December 21, 2016 - 01:05 pm:

If you talk to him nicely, Stan Howe is your man.

If your carb is similar enough to a Stromberg OF, these earlier threads might be of help:

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/29/9381.html

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/411944/467871.html?1407369363

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Wednesday, December 21, 2016 - 01:31 pm:

The instructions for your Studebaker carburetor are in the 1920 Dykes manual. I bet it is online someplace. If not I can scan a copy this weekend for you Daniel.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron Patterson-Nicholasville, Kentucky on Wednesday, December 21, 2016 - 01:50 pm:

Try Google books.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stan Howe Helena, Montana on Wednesday, December 21, 2016 - 04:19 pm:

There are four adjustments.

First is the float level which should be correct if it was rebuilt correctly.

Second is the high speed adjustment. With the engine above idle, open the mixture knob closest to the fuel bowl until the engine begins to stumble from too much fuel. Close it one click at a time until the engine is running smoothly and will accelerate without stumbling.

Third. Adjust the idle speed to the lowest the engine will continue to run and then raise it slightly for a slow idle.

Fourth. Adjust the idle mixture -- the knob on top of the throat -- for best idle and no hesitation under acceleration.

Fifth. Check that the economizer -- if so equipped, not all OS-1's have the rod and pull fork -- is opening when the throttle is nearly closed and remains open at idle. It should not need any adjustment if it was correctly rebuild.

You may have to find a happy medium as the OS-1 is pretty big for a stock T engine.

Note that the high speed adjustment is "open for more fuel" and the idle adjustment is "open for less fuel" as it is an air bleed into the mix. The amount of fuel supplied to the feed is controlled by the size of the hole in the jet feeding it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Daniel Kraft on Thursday, December 22, 2016 - 12:19 pm:

Thank you all so much, I really appreciate it. I will let you know how it goes.
Daniel

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Daniel Kraft on Thursday, December 22, 2016 - 12:22 pm:

I'm building a "poor mans rajo" and am planning to put this carb on it if it checks out.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Warren on Thursday, December 22, 2016 - 09:57 pm:

Stan, do you have any information on the stromberg MB-2 902955 ? I am running it on a model A engine in my race car. I have had it running ok at times. I am having trouble mostly with mid range. It idles ok and runs strong at full throttle. After reading the above adjustments, possibly, this one adjusts similar. It runs best with the Idle mixture in tight. I am missing the float acorn nut. Float adjustment? where to start? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stan Howe Helena, Montana on Thursday, December 22, 2016 - 11:48 pm:

If it runs best with the idle mixture in tight the feed passage to the idle is partially plugged. The idle jet is a fixed size, the knob adds or takes away air to the mix. Remove the idle tube and drill the jet one step at a time until it will idle with the mixture open at least 1/4 of a turn.

An MB-2 is pretty big for a Model A engine. You may not be moving enough air at mid range for it to run right.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Warren on Saturday, December 24, 2016 - 10:06 am:

Thanks Stan, I'll give it a try, any advice on setting the float level? I see how it adjusts just, wondering where to set it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Saturday, December 24, 2016 - 11:12 am:

The Dykes manual helps a lot:

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration