Motor Oil

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Motor Oil
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By joe gallagher on Wednesday, December 21, 2016 - 03:59 pm:

I have a 27 T Coupe that has not had a oil change in a long time .... what is the right oil to use ...detergent or non detergent also what weight and any idea of a brand that is better than another ... one last question how many Quarts does it hold .. Thanks for any help ... Joe joeg48@hotmail.com

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Wednesday, December 21, 2016 - 04:10 pm:

+ or - 4 qts, detergent, what ever brand and weight you use in your modern car (5-30, 5-40, 10-30, 10-40 depending on the weather), change often. Or the cheap stuff on the shelf at Wal-Mart. Change often; once a year if you don't drive it and twice if you do. If you drive a whole lot maybe every 5-600 miles! :-) Just oil no fancy additives needed. :-)Change often!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham on Wednesday, December 21, 2016 - 04:11 pm:

Joe, she holds four quarts. You know how to check the level, right ? Past that, pick yer pizen, pard - it either don't matter much what brand, detergent, non-detergent, weight or anything else, OR it matters one helluva lot, and you'd best pay attention, or your T will implode in a puff of smoke !

This post will probably test just how many members are either snow-bound or have a terminal case of cabin fever !! ;- )

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Peter Claverie, Memphis TN on Wednesday, December 21, 2016 - 04:16 pm:

Now you've gone and done it!!

Seriously, this question raises more discussion than any other. The opinions expressed are like navels -- everyone has one, and nobody cares about anyone else's.

The first absolute truth is that that you cannot buy any motor oil, at any price, from any store, that isn't at least ten times better than anything that was available when your car was built. From that perspective, many of us will tell you to go to Wally World and buy their cheapest brand.

Four quarts will do it.

Some discussion rages about detergent vs: non-detergent. It's your call.

Some more discussion rages about multi-viscosity vs: single viscosity. It's your call.

My suggestion is to use what you put in your wife's car, and don't worry about it.

If the car has been driven a lot on the old oil, it might be worthwhile to change the oil, drive a few miles, and change it again. There's a lot of crud built up in there, and it wouldn't hurt to flush some of it out.

The proper level is somewhere between the two petcocks on the back of the transmission. Oil MUST come out of the bottom one when you open it, and when it begins to drip out of the top one, you have plenty.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Wednesday, December 21, 2016 - 04:19 pm:

Some will tell you that detergent oil in an old engine like that will wash all the crud deposits off the walls of the engine and get dirt into your bearings. I don't believe it for a second, instead believing that "Detergent" just means the stuff has an additive that allows the normal crud to stay suspended in the oil so a filter can filter it out. If it did what some people think, it would be the weapon of choice of engine builders to clean blocks with. I say use detergent oil and change it often, especially at first.

As to what grade, I'd strongly recommend 5W-30. It makes cranking it a heck of a lot easier.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Peter Claverie, Memphis TN on Wednesday, December 21, 2016 - 04:20 pm:

P.S. Synthetic oil is OK, although possibly a waste of money.

DO NOT use oil with Moly in it, although it's hard to find these days. It does strange things to the Magneto.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham on Wednesday, December 21, 2016 - 04:26 pm:

Right, Peter, it's there in the manual that came with your Model T. True to the period, it specifically says not to use oils that contain graphite, as that will short-circuit the magneto coil. Any conductive amendment to motor oils will do the same, obviously Moly is one of them.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Rogers - South of the Adirondacks on Wednesday, December 21, 2016 - 04:37 pm:

Joe, according to another thread it doesn't matter what oil you use. Just pick any one of the many suggestions you are going to receive.

Currently, the prevailing theory is that everybody's response will be correct and you'll be damned to challenge them.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Landry, Hudson, NH on Wednesday, December 21, 2016 - 05:31 pm:

I read once that using the high mileage oils was good, but I can't remember why. I do use them, but mostly because it narrows my choice when I walk into AutoZone. I really doubt if it makes much difference. Change your oil every 500 miles or so and don't worry about it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Wednesday, December 21, 2016 - 05:35 pm:

Dont take any of this personal. You accidentally stepped on a hornet nest. There is great people on this forum but they dont all share the same opinion.in my opinion Mark said it all
Drive safe and often

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Wednesday, December 21, 2016 - 05:42 pm:

Empty, dry, a Model T holds a gallon of oil. When you change the oil Ford recommended to elevate the front of the car. This drains more oil out of the dips in the pan inspection cover below each rod.

After you drain the oil, put the car back to level, reinstall the plug and open the top petcock. Poke a small drill bit or nail in the petcock to make sure it is clear of debris. Pour in three quarts of oil.

Pour the contents of the fourth quart in a cup at a time after you put the first half of the bottle in. Stop adding oil when it starts dribbling out of the petcock.

I use whatever 5W-30 is cheapest at Wal Mart or Pep Boys. Lately Peak brand has been really reasonable in a 5 quart container.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Brough on Wednesday, December 21, 2016 - 05:46 pm:

I followed up on a local news story for some research for my WWII military vehicle club and found some oil at the local Dollar General.
One weight said it was NOT for use in engines built after 1988 and another single weight oil says it is not for use in engine built after 1930.

They don't have the additives and detergents to meet modern car warranties. Dollar General is being sued by car owners who claim their engines were ruined as the small print warning was not made clear to them and both products are sold in their stores auto parts departments.

I figure it would be OK for the Model T. It doesn't use oil, it rents it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Brough on Wednesday, December 21, 2016 - 05:50 pm:

PS
I'm not one to give advice on oil. Mine is sitting out in the garage with a quart of ATF in it helping to remove 100 years of oil sludge. I fire it up and have my son drive it around the neighborhood for a few miles every day. I'll drain the oil concoction out in the spring and put if fresh oil. Whatever is on sale.

I might drive it up to Jiffy Lube and see what they say. Love to see their faces while they search for the place to put the oil in.
Filter? I don't need no stinkin filter!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allen Banks on Wednesday, December 21, 2016 - 07:51 pm:

Maybe a dumb question,...but does it hurt if it's overfilled...say 5 quarts?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Wednesday, December 21, 2016 - 08:15 pm:

I wouldn't do it intentionally. Is it going to do catastrophic damage? I doubt it. It'll probably hasten oil leaks. However there are some that are so anal about it, they leave the top pet cock open until all dripping has stopped. Then, and only then, have they achieved the proper level of oil.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Wednesday, December 21, 2016 - 08:32 pm:

5 quarts is way too much. It might clear the neighborhood of insects if it doesn't foul the plugs first.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James A. Golden on Wednesday, December 21, 2016 - 08:37 pm:

You cannot walk as good in quick sand as you can in water.

Adding an extra quart of oil makes your engine feel the same way.

There will be a definite power loss noted.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration