Rear spring question, 6, 8, and 9 leaf

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Rear spring question, 6, 8, and 9 leaf
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Wednesday, December 21, 2016 - 08:20 pm:

I am starting to work on the rear cross member and also the final "set-up" of the rear spring for the speedster project. From what little I have researched there was a 6 leaf, 8 leaf, and 9 leaf version of the rear spring. The 9 leaf being for the sedans. The six leaf for roadsters for a short time, and the 8 leaf being more common. I think I would like to have a 6 leaf version for the speedster. But it appears to have not been used for long. and the 8 leaf seems to be the most common. So what is the differences between the different leaf combinations. Are there "special" lengths for each combination or can I just remove a leaf or two from the 8 leaf set. I am not changing the front spring any. But the rear does seem a little stiff with 8 leaves. I have several sets of rear springs and lots of "single" leaves but I would kinda like to know what Im looking for before I start dragging all the heavy things out. I also have a 2 inch dropped rear cross member. So more lowering with the springs is not really needed. Thanks .... Donnie Brown .......

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Wednesday, December 21, 2016 - 09:09 pm:

Check the parts books. As I recall, the 6 leaf spring was only used for a short while, and is unique unto itself.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Skille on Friday, December 23, 2016 - 12:27 am:

I looked at my 6 leaf spring today and the first leaf (main leaf) and the second look to be the same as the 8 leaf spring. The third leaf has hole in it for the spring clamp and is a different length and so are the other leafs. The 8 leaf spring has a hole in the fifth leaf for the spring clamp.
If you want the spring to be authentic you will have to find the real 6 leaf spring.
When you are looking through your pile of springs look for one that has the spring clamp close to the end where the spring hanger hole is. The 6 leaf spring clamp is three leafs from the end and the more common 8 leaf spring clamp is on the fifth leaf in. That is the easy way to tell they are different.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Friday, December 23, 2016 - 09:31 am:

Don, Thanks. That give me some good info while Im going thru the pile.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Perry Goble on Friday, December 23, 2016 - 10:09 am:

I have been restoring T,s for a long time I have never seen a set of rear springs with only 6 springs . The early roadsters had 7 springs like my 11 Torpedo should have on it . Unless you are not counting the large first spring that the shackles go through . Last year at Chickasha Royce Peterson had a set of Torpedo springs , He and I lay them on top of a set of 8 or maybe 9 leaf springs . The shape was not even close , the 7 leaf springs had much less of a hump in the spring .

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration