JINGLE BELLS -- THE MODEL T VERSION

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: JINGLE BELLS -- THE MODEL T VERSION
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stan Howe Helena, Montana on Wednesday, December 21, 2016 - 10:12 pm:

It's been a few years since this was posted, get out your Ukulele or sit down at the piano and sing the Model T version of Jingle Bells!!

Stan Howe on Wednesday, December 23, 2009 - 05:46 pm:

I just came in from a couple hours in the shop and read the "Christmas" thread. Warming my feet by the computer and composed a little Christmas story to the tune of Jingle Bells. Feel free to add a verse or chorus.

Verse:
Dashing through the snow, in an open Model T
Over the hills we go, Christmas friends to see,
The snow is deep, the grade is steep but up the hills we'll go,
We'll chain it up if we have to and shift to Ruckstell low.

Chorus:
Sleighbells ring, the coils sing, down the road we'll go,
De-liv-er-ing our Christmas wish to everyone we know.

Verse:
Hot donuts in a crock, a jug of cocoa, too
A shovel if we have to dig, a deep drift to go through,
A sled and rope behind, we'll give the kids a ride,
They'll stay out to slide down hill while we play cards inside.

Chorus:
Farming's tough and times are rough but we are doing fine,
I've got a Ford and family, a happy life is mine.

Verse:
The cow is milking good, the hens are laying fine,
We butchered us a big, fat pig, we've bacon in the rind,
The flour barrel is full, not many chores to do,
We've presents to put 'neath the tree and friends to visit, too.

Chorus:
Park the Ford, Coffee's poured, "Howdy, how 'ya do"
"We thought we'd come and spend the day and 'Merry Christmas' you."

I brought my new crib board, a deck of new cards, too,
I know I can outpeg you cause I'm good at "Fifteen-two."
I'll "Fifteen-four" and "Fifteen-six;" my crib will count for four,
I'll maybe let you win one game, then help you with your chores.

Chorus:
Cows to milk, I'll come help you get your chores all done,
I'm only milking mornings now, no hurry to get home.

Gets dark this time of year, right in the afternoon,
We'll stay and have some supper, I think there's a full moon,
Our Ford has got good lights, we'll make it home just fine,
The roads are bad, our Ford is tough, that's the bottom line.

Chorus:
So full of pie I think I'll die, I don't think I could crank,
A Ford and a Monkey Ward battery -- for that I'm darn sure thank --------------- ful.

Verse:
No matter what the day the weather or the snow,
We've got our Ford and it will start at twenty five below,
We'll wrap the babies up and head back to our home,
When you've a Ford to travel with you never are alone.

Chorus:
What a day, a chance to play and visit with our friends,
Good food to eat and lots of laughs, it's Christmas time again.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Wednesday, December 21, 2016 - 10:22 pm:

Merry Chrismas Stan!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Longbranch,WA on Wednesday, December 21, 2016 - 10:25 pm:

Thanks Stan & Merry Christmas to you !

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary H. White - Sheridan, MI on Wednesday, December 21, 2016 - 10:40 pm:

Really enjoyed it. Merry Christmas.
Gary

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Freighter Jim on Wednesday, December 21, 2016 - 11:19 pm:

Just what the Doc ordered.

Thank you Mr. Howe.

And a Merry Christmas To You !

Freighter Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Wednesday, December 21, 2016 - 11:25 pm:

Great job Stan (of course it is, would you do anything else but great?).
BTW, I have been told that Jingle Bells started out as a Thanksgiving song sung to a Sunday School class!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Willis Jenkins on Wednesday, December 21, 2016 - 11:31 pm:

This needs an update with pictures to go along with it.

Cheers,
Willis

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stan Howe Helena, Montana on Wednesday, December 21, 2016 - 11:35 pm:

Thanks. It isn't really a Christmas song unless you make it one, it is a winter song.

Dashing through the snow, in a one horse open sleigh,
O'er the hills we go, laughing all the way,
Bells on bob tails ring, making spirits light,
What fun it is to ride and sing a sleighing song tonight.

Jingle Bells, Jingle Bells, Jingle all the way,
Oh, what fun it is to ride in a one horse open sleigh.

A day or two ago, I thought I'd take a ride,
And soon Miss Fannie Bright was seated by my side.
The horse was lean and lank, misfortune seemed his lot,
He got into a drifted bank and we, we got upsot!

Now the ground is white, go it while you're young,
Take the girls tonight and sing this sleighing song,
Just get a bob tailed nag, two forty for his speed,
Hitch him to an open sleigh, and crack you'll take the lead.

Doesn't say a word about Christmas. I wonder how many people today know what the two-forty reference is?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Floyd Voie - Chehalis, Washington on Thursday, December 22, 2016 - 12:22 am:

Hi Stan,
I liked your Model T version of Jingle Bells!
I think the two-forty reference is a mile in two minutes forty seconds......about Model T speed.
Floyd

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stan Howe Helena, Montana on Thursday, December 22, 2016 - 12:50 am:

Yup! 2:40 is a good time for a trotting horse.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Lodge - St Louis MO on Thursday, December 22, 2016 - 09:15 am:

Stan, the only issue I have with your original post is that if I sang something... anything at all... people would race for the doors in droves. I am the Anti-Stan.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Thursday, December 22, 2016 - 09:32 am:

Merry Christmas and thank you very much for your song!!PS,How many know the difference in a Trotter and a Pacer? Bud.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stan Howe Helena, Montana on Thursday, December 22, 2016 - 11:29 am:

Trotter moves his two legs together, Pacer moves his diagonal legs forward at the same time. Pacer tends to have a smoother gait. Easier for a Trotter to break into a canter or gallop. Pacers have to switch leads to canter or gallop.

Us old guys know stuff like that, Bud.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Thursday, December 22, 2016 - 01:28 pm:

Hi Stan,....and a very Merry Christmas to you too!

You know Stan, I have to say, I always enjoy your posts, and usually learn something too, however, the way you started this one really does conjure up an image:

"Came in from the shop,.....warming my feet by the computer,....."

My computer gets warm after spending probably too much time on it too, but I always thought it was usually,...."warming my feet by the fire".

"Warming my feet by the computer really does conjure up an IMAGE Stan,....ha,ha,.... harold (:^)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham on Thursday, December 22, 2016 - 03:30 pm:

Stan, I'm in awe of your "trotter / pacer" definition. ?!? I always thought a pacer moved both legs on one side together. Any horse moves a fore-leg and the opposite hind leg together in alternating diagonals at the trot, so I'm confused as to how this is "pacing" ?!?

As for lead departure at a trot, the horse has to be collected and given a lead cue to roll into a lope on the desired lead. It's a little easier if the rider is posting a trot and rising to the diagonal that agrees with the lead he wants at a lope. I know absolutely nothing of pacing horses.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Martin Vowell, Sylmar, CA on Thursday, December 22, 2016 - 04:06 pm:

Joyous Yule, Stan (that's tonight) and a very Merry Christmas to ye and all of yorn. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stan Howe Helena, Montana on Thursday, December 22, 2016 - 04:33 pm:

Yeah, I think I got the gaits backwards. The Trotter moves in diagonal pairs, the Pacer moves the legs on the same side forward at the same time.

I don't know much about fancy horses and gaits, just enough to think I know, and that was wrong I guess. I grew up on horses but they were all working horses and about all we did with them was ride and work cows and other horses or herd sheep. I never had time to give a horse much time or much of a cue for him to start to run when a calf was getting away or some old rangy cow was headed for the brush. I was more just hanging on and letting the horse do what he knew how to do. The pasture just to the north of our ranch was about 10 sections under one fence. My one brother in law used to ride 8 miles to what he called the Breaks pasture, which was 17 sections without a fence in the Little Missouri River Breaks. He always said he could saddle up and jog down there while the other guys were loading their horse in a trailer. I dunno.

The ranch that leases my ranch at Westmore has over 80 sections under ownership, lease and fence. That is over 51,000 acres. Makes my place look like a lawn in town.

It is easier for a trotting horse to break in to a gallop according to my friend Ross, who has shoed about 10,000 horses I think. I'm too old and fat to ride any more. He's not. I'll just take his word for it and go back to work in the shop.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham on Thursday, December 22, 2016 - 05:11 pm:

Thanks Stan - I was afraid what little I know is dead wrong (again) ! I'm with your BIL - 8 mile on a good traveling pony ain't that far. I'll ride so long as I can still throw a leg over.

Forgot to say how much I enjoyed your Model T "Jingle Bells".
Merry Christmas !!

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration