Drain plug gasket

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Drain plug gasket
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By joe gallagher on Thursday, December 22, 2016 - 02:33 am:

I have a oil drain plug gasket I purchased from Macs Auto .. part #A6734C ... its the original style copper ring one side is solid copper the other side has a small open grove with a white material in the grove that I think is a type of asbestos .... does any one know witch side of the gasket faces the motor .... thanks for any help ... Joe

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dale Peterson College Place, WA on Thursday, December 22, 2016 - 03:07 am:

The copper side

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allen Banks on Thursday, December 22, 2016 - 08:36 am:

Piggybacking off this, how often should it be replaced?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Martin Vowell, Sylmar, CA on Thursday, December 22, 2016 - 08:53 am:

Every time you change your oil...otherwise it may leak...and more than just a little too.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Thursday, December 22, 2016 - 10:43 am:

Joe,

Doesn't matter.

Allen,

When it leaks. Mine's been there for decades.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Thursday, December 22, 2016 - 10:49 am:

According to the repro parts books they were brass.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Thursday, December 22, 2016 - 10:51 am:

My '24 has a solid, dead-soft copper gasket under its drain plug, it appears to have been on there for decades. Apparently if re-conforms to seal each time it is tightened, because it has never leaked in the three years I have had the car. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Thursday, December 22, 2016 - 10:51 am:

This is one of those minor items where I'm willing to go modern. The fiber gaskets are 20.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Thursday, December 22, 2016 - 01:18 pm:

Steve,

Modern? Now I don't know what to believe anymore...

;O)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charlie Dill in Stamford, CT on Friday, December 23, 2016 - 09:57 am:

General question about copper gaskets / washers. I once worked with a guy maintaining a bunch of piston engine airplanes in Alaska. One of my jobs on engine maintenance cycles was to "aneal" (pardon if my spelling is off) the copper washers that were used between the spark plugs and the block. I would give them a quick sandblast and then heat them to red hot with a torch and dunk them in cold water. I did was I was told. Thinking through it, is this a way that one might re-energize the life of a copper gasket. Not that they are that hard to swap out, but this would be too simple if it works.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration