Kevlar linning

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Kevlar linning
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By joe gallagher on Thursday, December 22, 2016 - 05:42 am:

I lined my trans. bands with kevlar lining but the ends of the lining keep fraying... what can I seal them with ... I heard that supper glue might work ..is that ok to use or what else might I use ... thanks for any help .... Joe

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Thursday, December 22, 2016 - 07:13 am:

Super Glue works, Have use the Gel version, BUT...you can't glue the ends if the linings are oily :-) Some of the suppliers offer these linings already sealed.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Thursday, December 22, 2016 - 08:48 am:

If you had wood bands you could use plastic wood or Durham's Rock Hard water Putty on the ends!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Thursday, December 22, 2016 - 11:20 am:

I melt the ends of nylon ropes and cords to keep them from unraveling. I haven't tried it, but I suspect it may be possible to melt Kevlar too, perhaps with a soldering iron. I wouldn't use an open flame.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Thursday, December 22, 2016 - 03:41 pm:

Open flame could work, but the ravel tips are crusty black stiff plastic and could fall off and mess up.

The Super Glue is best, that is what other mfg. use. The Gel version seeps into the weave some, and thickens the ends to hold down ravel.

Have seen Herm's posts of his cut down linings sealed with Glytal, that seems OK too.

Actually this photo is off a bit, as the Kevlar was already adhesive sealed from the mfg. So maybe the burn is cryo glue, but the Kevlar kept burning, supporting the flame.

The other lining is modern Scandi, with gummy bear-like gunk these linings are made with. Burns really fast, must be petro based.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Thursday, December 22, 2016 - 03:59 pm:

When I do ropes and cords I pull them through a paper towel while they're hot so there are no clumps on the ends. But the linings would have to be out of the car to do that. The ideal thing is to buy them already sealed. Once they're in, glue it is.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Thursday, December 22, 2016 - 04:16 pm:

Paper towels? Man, I use spit and my fingers.:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Tillstrom 30 miles N of Memphis TN on Thursday, December 22, 2016 - 04:28 pm:

Dip the end in enamel paint (about 1/4 inch). That will seal them.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration