Ford Fire Extinguisher

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Ford Fire Extinguisher
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Vaughn - Lincoln, NE on Thursday, December 22, 2016 - 12:41 pm:

A great Model T Friend of mine stopped by my shop today and gave me this Ford Fire Extinguisher as a Christmas gift. I have never seen one before. Does anyone know anything about them?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron in Central Massachusetts on Thursday, December 22, 2016 - 12:46 pm:

Mike - yes, I have one too. Hard to tell from your photo, but the Ford oval is probably red (mine is, as are most I've seen). From what I understand, Ford began offering these at dealerships as an accessory in '28 or '29.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brian Beatty _Kansas City on Thursday, December 22, 2016 - 01:38 pm:

I have a couple.

I was told, and therefore I always thought, that they issued with Ford's WW II GPWs or jeeps. They do seem to be a just a tad bit too common for that to be true though when I think about it.

All of the ones I have seen have the logo background in red.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron in Central Massachusetts on Thursday, December 22, 2016 - 01:47 pm:

Later ones have Ford replaced with FoMoCo in script. Was told those were later V8. The Ford script was Model A and early V8. The FoMoCo ones turn up often on EBay.

Have also heard, but have never seen one, that in '27 one was offered with the Ford in blue script without the oval. Apparently this is the Holy Grail among Ford fire extinguishers because there were so few made. Not having ever seen an example, cannot confirm any of that is true.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brian Beatty _Kansas City on Thursday, December 22, 2016 - 01:48 pm:

This looks like the proper bracket for one.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/World-War-ll-Willys-MB-Ford-GP-GPW-Fire-Extinguisher-Bra cket-/192059057865?hash=item2cb79ca6c9:g:g98AAOSwXeJYGiX1

I would have to check when I get home to be sure though...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron in Central Massachusetts on Thursday, December 22, 2016 - 01:53 pm:

Here is a WWII example:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brian Beatty _Kansas City on Thursday, December 22, 2016 - 01:58 pm:

Whoops! That bracket may be missing a strap that goes around the extinguisher. At least I think mine have that feature and I noticed a few of the "sold" ones on Ebay have a strap.

Thanks Ron! I did not know there were different Ford logos on the extinguishers.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron in Central Massachusetts on Thursday, December 22, 2016 - 02:00 pm:

FoMoCo example:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Thursday, December 22, 2016 - 02:02 pm:

Pretty neat!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron in Central Massachusetts on Thursday, December 22, 2016 - 02:04 pm:

If anyone has a picture or can confirm the "Holy Grail" extinguisher of the blue script only extinguisher, would really appreciate you posting the information on here.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Schedler, Sacramento on Thursday, December 22, 2016 - 02:15 pm:

I was led to believe that you shouldn't depend on these old fire extinguishers. When I occasionally flew the C-45 a long time ago, they were equipped with a liquid extinguisher like that. Yes, I'm that old.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Dufault on Thursday, December 22, 2016 - 02:22 pm:

Carbon tetrachloride = bad for living things with nervous systems

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Harper - Keene, NH on Thursday, December 22, 2016 - 02:28 pm:

Burning To Death = Bad for any living thing.

Ya takes ya choice and ya pays ya money.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron in Central Massachusetts on Thursday, December 22, 2016 - 02:35 pm:

I fill mine with Moxie and carry it on the Klam Digah when I'm pulling.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Vaughn - Lincoln, NE on Thursday, December 22, 2016 - 02:35 pm:

Mine appears to be either black or very dark blue.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Vaughn - Lincoln, NE on Thursday, December 22, 2016 - 02:42 pm:

Patent number search show that the patent was filed in 1936 and granted in 1938 for this fire extinguisher.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron in Central Massachusetts on Thursday, December 22, 2016 - 02:49 pm:

Thanks Mike!! Great idea looking that up.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John C Codman on Thursday, December 22, 2016 - 03:18 pm:

I can remember buying carbon tet from the local hardware store. It was great for getting grease out of contaminated clutch discs and brake linings. Just soak overnight and reinstall. Yes I am that old.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration