Cracked block

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Cracked block
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Bender Tulsa Oklahoma on Thursday, December 22, 2016 - 05:37 pm:

1925 block, crack returns to the bolt hole so I think this can be repaired. Lots of cast iron to work. What do you think

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Woods, Richmond, Texas on Thursday, December 22, 2016 - 06:02 pm:

I think Donnie Brown has a rebuildable 25 block!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Barrett in Auburn Ca. on Thursday, December 22, 2016 - 06:03 pm:

Sure it can be fixed, but why bother for a 1925 block? Not rare enough to justify the time unless there is some special attachment to this particular one. About $100 is top money for a good block of that vintage and the repair would be much more money than that to do it right. If this were for a customer of mine, I would pick out another block from the pile that would be a better product for less money. There will be people who will say no model T parts should be scrapped under any circumstances rather than repaired, but most of them will not pay fair money for a good block, much less a broken one. I have scrapped tons of junk T parts back when the recycler would give you more for it than T guys. Mind you, I am talking about cracked, broken, and otherwise mangled pets, not good stuff.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Lay,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Lancaster Ca. on Thursday, December 22, 2016 - 06:05 pm:

Every time I hear cracked block I cringe but that doesn't look to bad. There are several deferent processes to weld that up.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James M. Riedy, Sandusky, Ohio on Thursday, December 22, 2016 - 06:28 pm:

I would be tempted to drill and cross pin the loose piece then skive out the crack and gas weld it with an old piston ring or braze it up with some bronze rod. Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Thursday, December 22, 2016 - 07:07 pm:

Mike, I would not weld the piece back in. I would break it the rest of the way off. Then I would totally re-weld a new corner (its almost off as is) including welding the top half of the bolt hole up. Then re-bore the top half of the bolt hole from the bottom, using the remaining bottom 1/2 of the hole as a guide. But any weld you do, I highly recommend to pre heat the entire block to about 600 to 650 degrees. Then cool very slowly till its below 400 degrees. But is it worth it for a 1925 block. . ???? I do have some blocks, condition unknown. If you want one, let me know ... have fun and be safe Donnie Brown ...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham on Thursday, December 22, 2016 - 07:17 pm:

Just don't destroy it - rare or not, they're not making 'em any more, and there will likely come a day . . .

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration