A Good Read?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: A Good Read?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Noonan - Norton, MA. on Thursday, December 22, 2016 - 11:30 pm:

The wife just told me she bought this on T-Bay for me for Christmas. You have to love a woman who picks out T stuff, rather than other useless things we don't really need. :-) Any good?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Thursday, December 22, 2016 - 11:37 pm:

Don't know about his books, but I have Floyd Clymer's album First Date.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham on Friday, December 23, 2016 - 12:02 am:

I still have the paperback edition from over 50 years ago. I think you'll like it, Clymer's auto books were (are) always interesting, and he himself was a pretty interesting guy . . . Model T Ford dealer as a very young kid in Berthoud, Colo.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John C Codman on Friday, December 23, 2016 - 12:07 am:

I have or had that book. When we headed south I don't know what happened to it. When we finally get totally unpacked (about next June) I will know. I do remember it as a good book.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By JD, Wichita, KS on Friday, December 23, 2016 - 01:06 am:

Good book for all ages.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Peter Adey on Friday, December 23, 2016 - 01:57 am:

getting a head start on the next gen!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Friday, December 23, 2016 - 04:22 am:

I think I got my copy when I was about twelve. A bit over fifty years ago. Still have it, still look at it occasionally. I use Bruce's books more, but still like my Floyd Clymer.
One problem with Floyd Clymer however, most of his books were collections of ads, notes, and memory, Unfortunately, some of those notes and memories were not entirely accurate. Most of his books do contain factual errors. Nonetheless, we Thank Floyd Clymer. He published a great deal of information at a time when much of it was disappearing, and in danger of being lost forever. His books inspired many people to take an interest in the early automobile's history. His books are generally easy to read, contain a lot of basic information, and can still inspire people better than many newer and better books do.
That is my take on it.
Drive carefully, and do enjoy the holidays! W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker in Sumter SC on Friday, December 23, 2016 - 07:30 am:

John,

Bottom Line Up Front -- you will love the book. It is a great read with lots of stories (some appear to be historical fiction....) and information about the Model T. It is NOT a restoration guide for today, although in 1955 it was one of the best sources of information about the cars.

Additional details:

"Henry's Wonderful Model T" is one of the earliest attempts that I am aware of, that tried capture what did and did not occur with the Model T Ford. It was copyrighted 1955 the same year my favorite T book "Tin Lizzie" by Philip Van Doren Stern was published. ["Tin Lizzie" is my favorite, because the Bossier City public library had a copy and I kept it checked out reading and re-reading it when I was in junior high school.]

Both of those have some excellent photos from the Benson Ford archives that are excellent. See page 90 of your book for a "factory" shot of a 1925 runabout similar to your car but that one had the factory optional balloon tires. From pages 45 to 98 you have lots of archive photos - many taken by Ford. Note we need to be careful with the captions -- they can sometimes be wrong. And that is still true today. I can't think of any book about the Model T Fords that doesn't have some photo mislabeled or perhaps the photo reversed etc. [The 1910 tourabout shown on page 72 of Roberrt C. Kreipke's excellent book "The Model T" copyrighted 2007 is a recent example. If used to document what a 1915 looks like - it would mislead someone. But the same photo if used to document what a 1910 tourabout looked like back in the day offers a wealth of details. And the same photo also offers contradictions as it appears to have the early style "no lip" front fender and the late 1910 style top with the front bow moved up which makes entry into the car much easier and was standard on the 1911 cars.

Both books have many errors. In part because what was believed to be true in 1955 -- such things as the 1915's came with a brass bell hand Klaxon horn were later shown to be false. But it was often years before the more accurate information was discovered and finally believed. [Note the 1965 book with the red cover "Model T Ford Restoration Handbook" compiled by Leslier R. Henry still stated the same belief. And the 1971 book "From Here to Obscurity" by Ray Miller and Bruce McCalley on page 146-147 still stated that belief. But later research proved that the many early photos of the 1915's with the hand Klaxon as well as many of the surviving 1915's that had a hand Klaxon had actually been retrofitted by the owners. Why so many? Because the bulb horn that came with many of the 1915's was hard to hear since it had been placed under the hood rather.

Both of those books have some great stories -- and all of them have some truth in them (there once was an automobile company that produced the "Model T Ford." Some are more accurate than others. And most of them will give you an insight into how the cars were used back in the early 1900's.

Clymer's book also has some great cartoons and the accessory section on pages on pages 218 offer a great glimpse at how an owner could make his Model T better performing, better looking, easier to change the tire, able to run on water (OK --you did still need to purchase gasoline....) than the 15,000,000 or so other Fords.

Have a wonderful Christmas and it is great that your wife gave you the book. You may even enjoy reading it together -- at least the jokes and some of the stories.

Respectfully submitted,

Hap l9l5 cut off

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charlie B actually in Toms River N.J. on Friday, December 23, 2016 - 08:41 am:

Probably the best collection of ads for Model T accessories you'll find anywhere. It's those I enjoy best.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Friday, December 23, 2016 - 09:04 am:

Uh, Burger -- That album was by Floyd Cramer. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Noonan - Norton, MA. on Friday, December 23, 2016 - 05:04 pm:

Thanks for the reviews Gents, i appreciate it. This will have to be my T fix until it warms up a bit. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Friday, December 23, 2016 - 05:25 pm:

Floyd Clymer was a prolific writer and editor in the early days of the collector car hobby. He was writing about Henry Ford and his cars from the viewpoint of a person who knew Henry Ford. I learned to read with all of Clymer's books on our book shelves. They are still a great source of original period photos and advertisements for the Model T and its accessories and humor.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Heavner on Saturday, December 24, 2016 - 12:52 am:

I got that book for Christmas back in 1972. I still have it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred B on Saturday, December 24, 2016 - 01:02 am:

not only that, but i believe it was last date, as in goodby.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Saturday, December 24, 2016 - 12:25 pm:

Mike walker gets the Situational Awareness Award !

Floyd Cramer - Last Date

Floyd Clymer - First Date (I was just messing with
y'alls to see who was paying attention.

Cut yerself another slice of raisin pie, Mike ! :-)

Oh, I see Fred B. get's a second-up. You can have
a slice of pie too. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Saturday, December 24, 2016 - 02:22 pm:

As Royce stated, he was a very prolific writer. His books can be found reasonable and are usually interesting. There is a certain amount of repeat or carry over information from one book to another, but it is not real bad. I have bought them for years at the swap meets and ocassonially on e-bay.

just a few of them.....

He also wrote a lot about motorcycles and has several good books on cycles. Steam cars, and tractors are even covered by him in a few books.... If it was mechanical he probably wrote about it at some point in his writing carrier.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Saturday, December 24, 2016 - 02:28 pm:

https://www.hemmings.com/magazine/hcc/2005/05/Floyd-Clymer/1281287.html

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stan Howe Helena, Montana on Sunday, December 25, 2016 - 03:26 am:

I believe clymer was actually a dealer for EMF cars in berthoud Colorado when he was 12 or 13. His father was a well known and well off doctor there.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Sunday, December 25, 2016 - 03:34 am:

Morning Stan! Criminy! Are you getting up now? Or is it still yesterday?
I just looked back at this thread, and you weren't here. I refreshed my browser, and you showed up!
Regardless, Merry Christmas to you (and all!)!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Sunday, December 25, 2016 - 09:45 am:

As mentioned by Hap i do not think there is a better Model T book than Tin Lizzie by Stern!! Many facts you will not find in other places! Think back to the dark ages before computers and the web Did many of you know there was a place you could hear J Galamb talk?? Did many know what and how it happned in the Great Race other than the Ford line? Merry Christmas to all! Bud.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By RalphS in NE Oregon on Sunday, December 25, 2016 - 10:32 am:

I got my copy as a Christmas present from my folks 58 years ago to the hour. Have read it many, many times and it is getting well worn. Also like Hap I had checked out Tin Lizzie from the library numerous times before getting this book. Yes, it is a good read.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Sunday, December 25, 2016 - 04:43 pm:

You can still find it well used in hard copy on used book sites,and it is reprinted now in paper back! How many of the expert newbees know the firs t T's had a built from the factory water pump? How many of the same know about the battery and what happned to it.What about the ten's of thousand's who turned out to see the advent of the Model A? Are there a lot of model T owners who know about the car built to replase the Model T when Henry was gone to Europe in 1911 or 12?? Why did the Model A have safty glass in the windsheild?? Bud.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration