Old Photo - She's A Keeper!

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Old Photo - She's A Keeper!
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Friday, December 23, 2016 - 09:38 am:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rick J. Gunter -- Sparta, Missouri, USA on Friday, December 23, 2016 - 10:42 am:

Yes indeed: both of them!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Warren Henderson, Dunbarton, NH on Friday, December 23, 2016 - 11:41 am:

What!!!! no comments about using her right hand? If a guy was doing that everyone would be yelling at him, must be nobody cares about that lovely young lady.

Happy motoring,

Warren

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Sullivan on Friday, December 23, 2016 - 12:08 pm:

I'm with Warren! Merry Christmas, Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Friday, December 23, 2016 - 02:43 pm:

My wife posted on this forum about three times when she first got her T. One was a photo of her cranking right handed. The responses from the holier than thou left hand crankers pissed her off so bad she hasn't posted since.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Friday, December 23, 2016 - 03:00 pm:

Hal,Even tho it wasn't me please tell her i'm sorry and have a merry Christmas! My wife is making date filled cookies!! We took to celebrating Christmas on the Eave because of grand kids so we are getting ready,The wife with her new built in dishwasher cupboard,and counter top.Yea i get a new Henry!! Bud.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Friday, December 23, 2016 - 03:14 pm:

Bud,

That's been years ago.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Friday, December 23, 2016 - 03:58 pm:

"The responses from the holier than thou left hand crankers
pissed her off so bad she hasn't posted since."

====================================

Has she read the Time to Set the Facts Straight thread ?

She'll LOVE Mr. Roger's way of contributing to the hobby !

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Friday, December 23, 2016 - 05:13 pm:

No. She hasn't been on the forum since. Holds a grudge. For a LONG time.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Friday, December 23, 2016 - 05:22 pm:

I crank with my right hand.

(Incoming!!!!)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Wells, Hamilton Ontario on Friday, December 23, 2016 - 05:31 pm:

Me too but, I do it the safe way.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Rogers - South of the Adirondacks on Friday, December 23, 2016 - 05:38 pm:

Cleaned out a barn today and I used BOTH hands to throw a box of these into a dumpster...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Friday, December 23, 2016 - 05:39 pm:

Uh Oh, better dig them back out, Mr. Burger will probably want them! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Friday, December 23, 2016 - 05:44 pm:

I am lefty handed, And feel more at one cranking with my right hand. It just feels awkward using my left hand to crank her over, The stance just ain't right!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Friday, December 23, 2016 - 06:39 pm:

Tim R, I DO hope you are just poking the bear!

You know, a few of those are worth big bucks?! (Most are worth about one buck tops.)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Friday, December 23, 2016 - 07:08 pm:

Thank you to those who will admit to cranking right handed. I now agree that left handed is safer. I cranked for 50 years with my right hand and thumb wrapped around the crank. Yes it is a bad idea but I didn't know better until I started reading the Forum. My YPC bus requires more effort and rhythm than I can muster with the left. I will continue to use the wrong hand along with several other bad habits I won't mention for fear of influencing others to the dark side.

As a side note, it would be more helpful to remind folks to retard the spark first. That has no doubt kept me out of trouble.

Rich

P.S. Nice looking lady and great car.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Friday, December 23, 2016 - 07:16 pm:

Richard...Count me in the bunch too, but I probably got 'em all beat...due to bad shoulders, I use BOTH hands to crank 'em, and frankly have no issues with it. In fact, only once did one of 'em try to "bite me" but I feel since I had such a strong grip on the handle to begin with, using both hands, I had the "upper hand"-pun intended- and was able to back away in plenty of time.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Schedler, Sacramento on Friday, December 23, 2016 - 08:48 pm:

It would be interesting to know who on this forum has ever gotten a broken arm cranking a T

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Friday, December 23, 2016 - 09:20 pm:

Steve Jelf has some pics he can show from his mishap. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary H. White - Sheridan, MI on Friday, December 23, 2016 - 09:26 pm:

I play it safe and use my right foot.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Friday, December 23, 2016 - 09:30 pm:

Mr. Rogers,

You are a funny one. I like Model T's too. Why don't you really stick
it to me and set yours on fire, show me who's boss ! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Friday, December 23, 2016 - 09:35 pm:

After the wrist was broken, she was no longer a keeper!

An important thing about cranking, whichever hand you use, is to only raise up on the crank and when you get to the top, let go and raise your arm out of the way!
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By brass car guy on Saturday, December 24, 2016 - 12:10 am:

Hmm been cranking t's since I was 12, always used my right hand with my thumb over the back side of the handle. If it kicks it pulls out of your hand and no damage.

My father taught me the right way and I have never varied. He was born in 1907 and had brass t's before most if us were even born. If you are smart enough to always check the spark before you crank, there will be no problem. Just don't understand this left handed cranking thing, real men use their right hand, just like Henry intended us to.

just sayin'

brasscarguy

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Saturday, December 24, 2016 - 12:36 am:

BCG, Now yer gittin' in my territory. I have used my left hand for most everything all my life. I put up with right-handed designs all the time! So for me, it is natural to pull up with the left hand.
When my Grandmother was little, she had her knuckles rapped for "using the wrong hand" and made certain none of her kids, nor her grand-kids were ever punished or corrected for being left-handed. A lot of us are too! She was a wise woman, born before the automobile era and lived to see man land on the moon.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Saturday, December 24, 2016 - 02:17 am:

Hal - You said she "holds a grudge for a LONG time!

Sounds like you married one of those stubborn Irish gals like I did 52 years ago!

Well, I've been right-hand cranking old Fords (T's & A's) since I was a kid, and I'm 75 years old now, and have never had a problem, and yes, I've had one kick back once in awhile too for some oddball reason or other, and still no problem! And Norman's got it right,....as long as you NEVER push down on the crank, ya' can use either hand as far as I'm concerned.

Yeah, I'm like Richard Eagle,....I'll admit that if you can do it, it might be a bit safer to use the left hand, but I've actually tried and just can't get used to that, so I guess I'll just keep living dangerously. Heck,....I'm a lot more concerned nowadays about getting rear-ended by a drunk or some stupid texting fool or run into by some druggie now that MJ is legal in my state.

Well, on that happy note, I'll just say Merry Christmas (with a capitol "C") and Happy New Year to all my forum friends, and I'll pass on the advice I received from my Mom when I was first learning to drive in Chicago back in the '50's. She used to tell me to just drive like everybody else on the road is drunk! (....except that nowadays, it's alcohol, drugs, texting, and a LOT more traffic!)

So keep yer' coils dry, yer' bands adjusted and yer' oil between the petcocks and Happy "T-ing",..... harold

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Weeds on Saturday, December 24, 2016 - 02:23 am:

Well put brass car guy, I always crank with my right hand in the same manner and I always check the settings first.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Warren Henderson, Dunbarton, NH on Saturday, December 24, 2016 - 07:14 am:

I'm with Gary H White, I use my right foot. It seems to work well and I have never suffered a "kick-back"!!!!

Merry Christmas & Happy New Year to all,

Warren

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Warren Henderson, Dunbarton, NH on Monday, December 26, 2016 - 11:29 am:

Tim Rogers, you seem to "enjoy stirring the pot" like most of us do!!!! But just incase I will offer my services to help you get rid of those glass insulators.

Happy motoring,

Warren

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham on Monday, December 26, 2016 - 05:15 pm:

No need to get cranky about which hand you use . . . I'm a lefty, but have been cranking right-handed for over 50 years. Just before I got my "new" T, I had a hay-bale fall off the stack that gave me a full body-block across my right shoulder. Hurt like blazes to crank . . . so I managed left-handed, but it seems awkward as all get-out.

I had to "twist the tail" on my first T to get it to start on mag, and I cranked a Case model D tractor for years, only once did I get a "backwards nudge" from a motor. I am curious to know of Steve Jelf's injury, I've never known anyone who got hurt cranking a motor.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gilbert V. I. Fitzhugh on Monday, December 26, 2016 - 05:32 pm:

Don't get too complacent, Rich. Pretty nearly every year we get someone in the HCCA who breaks his arm cranking. There's a fellow in the Snappers who lost most of his front teeth in a cranking mishap. That said, I crank right-handed - or, if I'm feeling weak, two-handed. I've occasionally, through carelessness or a mechanical fault, had a serious kickback. But I never wrap my thumb around the crank, and I never, EVER push down on the crank. So, when it has kicked back, it has always pulled the crank out of my hands with no danger. Scary, though!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Verne Shirk on Monday, December 26, 2016 - 05:44 pm:

I learned from my dad, who no doubt learned from his dad who we have photos of with his first car, a 1910 Model T. Dad got his first T in 1954 and had non-starter Fords, plus other early cars shortly after. Dad passed away in 2001 which is I believe is prior to the left-handed cranking craze. I don't really remember seeing too many, if any, crank with their left hand. I saw a few crank with their foot. One was a barber that used his foot. His reason was that he didn't want to break his arm because he used it in his profession.

For-what-it's-worth...I do put on both socks before installing my shoes.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham on Monday, December 26, 2016 - 05:48 pm:

Caution well taken Gil ! Sort of like working around horses. Always realize the risks and don't get careless.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Monday, December 26, 2016 - 07:20 pm:

Gary & Warren...I tried the right foot thing once and about landed on my ass! That was the one and only time I tried it. I'll stick with both hands.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tim moore, "Island City" MI on Monday, December 26, 2016 - 07:52 pm:

I hand crank right handed, always have and always will. They have bucked and snorted on me and spun backwards like a propeller many times but holding the crank correctly I never got bit, I have even "stem winded" them by spinning. I got a little smarter and learned to never hand crank on battery but always on magneto and have never had one fight me on magneto with proper spark setting. On battery I don't trust the spark setting, just my experience that they kick back on battery but I am sure they can also on magneto.

That said; a Model T Ford is 22.5 hp and I hand crank them...I had a single cylinder 5 hp log splitter that didn't want to start and kicked back on me. I thought that I was strong enough for this little motor to overcome that so grabbed with both hands and gave it a mighty pull. The result was my right hand pulling off my wrist and twisting off center. It is hard to drive a stick shift left handed to the hospital. The flywheel key on the small motor was half sheared off and that little bit off make it fire out of time and had more horsepower than I thought I did.

If your timing is off and you fight it you will probably get hurt fast, faster than you can see it coming.

Tim Moore

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham on Monday, December 26, 2016 - 07:53 pm:

No feet !! No kick-start - Liz ain't no Harley !! (would you kick a lady ???)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By brass car guy on Monday, December 26, 2016 - 11:24 pm:

I saw a old timer kick start his t and it kicked back and broke his leg. I would never start my t that way.

The only car I ever started with my left hand was my 1905 Cadillac which was a sidewinder and had reverse rotation. So you cranked it counter clockwise. The one cylinder Cadillac's were an easy start, you rolled it slowly up to the top of the stroke then gently pushed it over and it always started with that 1/2 crank.

"Real men" always crank with their right hand !!!!!!!,

brasscarguy

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C on Monday, December 26, 2016 - 11:35 pm:

"would you kick a lady ???" Nope, but mine kicked me right square in the backside just yesterday. Good and hard too... Did I deserve it? Prob'ly. It WAS in jest 'tho.
I've actually started my fresh on top '18 on mag with my left but wow, that was uncomfortable and it's my weaker arm. Once and done.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Monday, December 26, 2016 - 11:37 pm:

I did it cranking a tractor. The pain was so exquisitely intense that I passed out on the ground. Do whatever you want. Good luck.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kim Dobbins on Tuesday, December 27, 2016 - 12:10 am:

I've been cranking for over 40 years and right handed! I never knew it was a no no. Learn something every day!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eugene Story on Tuesday, December 27, 2016 - 06:32 am:

When I was half grown I started cranking old tractors the engine is a lot higher on them, Dads law was put the crank in at 10:30 and pull to 12 o'clock with back of hand to the outside of circle with thumb next to fingers, right hand on side of radiator so if fingers didn't straiten out fast enough it would not pull you into the crank, so far it works for my Ts Main thing if the timing is set right and you retard the spark. Respect the crank like a buzz saw and you will live to crank another day.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Warren Henderson, Dunbarton, NH on Tuesday, December 27, 2016 - 08:13 am:

Tim Wrenn, I don't know about what Gary meant about using his right foot, but I was attempting to be humorous, I use my right foot on the starter button.

Happy motoring,

Warren

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Tuesday, December 27, 2016 - 09:04 am:

Warren..okay...LOL..but I'm sure you've read also how some do "kick start" 'em with their right foot. I'm too klutzy!! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham on Tuesday, December 27, 2016 - 05:19 pm:

Steve, my sympathy for the injury. At least it wasn't a Model T that "turned on ya". (if that's any consolation).

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration