Exhaust / Intake rings and glands---sealer too?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Exhaust / Intake rings and glands---sealer too?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chad Marchees _____Tax Capital, NY on Friday, December 23, 2016 - 05:04 pm:

I am putting on a set of original style rings and glands for the intake / exhaust manifold. Do you add a little sealer on the intake copper rings just to make sure it seals completely?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank van Ekeren (Australia) on Friday, December 23, 2016 - 05:06 pm:

I do.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Friday, December 23, 2016 - 05:15 pm:

I don't.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Friday, December 23, 2016 - 05:15 pm:

Can't see what it'd hurt, but I never have.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Friday, December 23, 2016 - 07:20 pm:

I still like those expensive copper gland/ring over the other type. Never need any sealer for those!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Mosher on Friday, December 23, 2016 - 08:05 pm:

I never did

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Saturday, December 24, 2016 - 08:24 am:

I use some sealer (Ultra-Black) on the intake rings, but not the exhausts. It's just a little "insurance" against an intake leak.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Saturday, December 24, 2016 - 08:28 am:

I do as Mike Walker does.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Saturday, December 24, 2016 - 09:15 am:

I don't use anything, and I'm sure Ford didn't either.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chad Marchees _____Tax Capital, NY on Saturday, December 24, 2016 - 09:44 am:

I have no doubt that Ford used nothing either, but a pesky leak at the intake ports can make for a hard starting vehicle---which is where I am at right now. I have never owned any T engine that had the "proper" seals on it. I figured that now would be a good time to switch over to the right seals. However the thought of a small leak still persisted in my mind which was why I asked about a little sealer on only the intake rings. I think I personally will add a little Ultra Black to each side of the rings. Obviously you don't need anything on the exhaust side.

Thank You for the advice fellows, always good to see the wide range of advice on the forum.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Saturday, December 24, 2016 - 09:48 am:

If the block and manifolds are perfect, you probably don't need anything. If there are some rust pits, as I have, using hi-temp RTV is a good idea.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George n LakeOzark,Missourah on Sunday, December 25, 2016 - 01:04 am:

I do like mike Walker also, but I'll put little dabs on the exhaust to help keep them in place while mounting manifolds.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Sunday, December 25, 2016 - 04:17 am:

George has hit the same nail on the head as I do. I use a muffler/exhaust gasket sealer to help hold the gland rings in place during installation. It also overcomes any problems with rust pits/erosion around the exhaust ports. I'd much rather do the job just once than do it over again to fix a pesky leak.

Hope this helps.
Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Deichmann, Blistrup, Denmark on Sunday, December 25, 2016 - 05:38 am:

I'm with Steve here.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration