Starter cap 3 o'clock screw install?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Starter cap 3 o'clock screw install?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ignacio Valdes on Friday, December 23, 2016 - 05:55 pm:

I just battled the inside 3 o'clock position starter cap screw for 1 hour. Succeeded but is there a better way? I left the cap off and just worked on that screw with the gasket. That was very tough even without the cap in the way!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Friday, December 23, 2016 - 05:57 pm:

There are several approaches, but here is one way:

Take a short piece of rubber vacuum hose and slip the head of the screw in one end, and the tip of the screwdriver in the other end far enough to engage the slot in the screw.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Noonan - Norton, MA. on Friday, December 23, 2016 - 06:07 pm:

Ignacio, i cut a notch out of the outside of one of the holes in the cap, then all you need to do is just loosen that hard one and leave it in block.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rick Goelz-Knoxville,TN on Friday, December 23, 2016 - 06:15 pm:

I use the Allen head screws with the movable wrench, just takes a minute.

Rick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Pawelek Brookshire, Texas on Friday, December 23, 2016 - 06:29 pm:

Magnetized screwdriver.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary H. White - Sheridan, MI on Friday, December 23, 2016 - 09:35 pm:

There are screw drivers with a twist lock tip that holds the screw until it is started. Google "screw holding screw driver".

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Friday, December 23, 2016 - 09:43 pm:

Hold the inside screw with a wire to get it started, then slip the cover slot under it.

With the cover in place, start the outside screw the same way.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ignacio Valdes on Friday, December 23, 2016 - 09:51 pm:

Brilliant!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert G. Hester Jr., Riverview, FL on Friday, December 23, 2016 - 09:54 pm:

If you can stand your T up on it's front end the way Steve did it makes it much easier. Aww, just picking on Steve. :-)

A twist lock screwdriver like Gary described above does the trick for me.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Todd, ............Red Deer, Alberta on Saturday, December 24, 2016 - 11:02 am:

.Split type screw starter

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Saturday, December 24, 2016 - 11:26 am:

The gasket is glued to the cover with yellow contact cement. I make my own gasket from Kleenex box cardboard and slot the holes to the outside for the screws. The cork gaskets are crap. I never remove that particular screw, just loosen it. With the slotted holes you can slip the cover into place with the screw already installed.

Make sure the transmission cover is clean and oil free. Put a tiny bead of silicone sealant on the gasket surface to make it seal to the hogshead. When you remove it next time the RTV will peel loose from the hogshead, and the gasket can be reused indefinitely.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Bourgeois on Saturday, December 24, 2016 - 12:37 pm:

I put a small piece of paper in the head of screw. Push the driver in and it holds pretty well. Just be really careful when positioning the screw. After a turn or two. The screw is in position.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert G. Hester Jr., Riverview, FL on Saturday, December 24, 2016 - 12:44 pm:

I also have a screwdriver like the one the one Ken shows above. Works quite well.

Royce, I like to use leather gaskets for their toughness and installed the way you described. Leather is good for a number of other applications as well.

Gentlemen, Merry Christmas to you all.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Craig Leach on Saturday, December 24, 2016 - 03:17 pm:

Used one of those spring loaded screw starters. The screw popped out and I couldn't find the darn thing I was sure it went into the pan. after 2 hours of searching & cursing I found it lodged in the left pan ear wedged between the ear & the pan. As I was removing the bolts to take the engine out. So hold the cover tight against the hogshead when you start the screws :-(

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charlie B actually in Toms River N.J. on Saturday, December 24, 2016 - 03:29 pm:

Long thin screw driver with a piece of tape over the blade to hold the screw. Same thing with a magnetized blade or what we used to call a distributor screwdriver which locks the screw on.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration