Is it normal to have to push real hard on reverse pedal to go into reverse?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Is it normal to have to push real hard on reverse pedal to go into reverse?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Poane on Friday, December 23, 2016 - 06:32 pm:

is it normal to have to push real hard on reverse pedal to go into reverse?

I have to push hard on the center of the pedal shaft to go into reverse. If I push on the top part I have to push so hard I am afraid it will break.

Should the band be relatively tight or relatively loose? I keep tightening it and that seems to work better but how will I know if it is too tight? Will it make a rubbing noise in neutral?

Thank you in advanced. Bob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Noonan - Norton, MA. on Friday, December 23, 2016 - 06:59 pm:

Robert, what type of band material are you using? Also, have you taken a look at the bands to see the condition of them?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Semprez-Templeton, CA on Friday, December 23, 2016 - 07:07 pm:

Bob, did the bands have any lining on them when you installed them?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Semprez-Templeton, CA on Friday, December 23, 2016 - 07:16 pm:

Also, are the springs between the ears?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Friday, December 23, 2016 - 09:58 pm:

It's quite possible that the cam which is bolted to the side of the hogs head and/or the taper on the pedal itself are worn to the point where pushing all the way down even with a tight adjustment will not move the shaft out far enough to compress the band. As you begin to depress the pedal from the farthest back position the pedal and shaft should move to the left which will contract the band.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham on Saturday, December 24, 2016 - 02:51 pm:

My first experience with wood bands in the '13 I got a couple of months ago. I've found reverse to be cranky and difficult too. I have yet to go exploring for causes, so I'm kinda with Robert in speculating on things to look for. Love to see more input on this thread !

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham on Sunday, December 25, 2016 - 01:30 pm:

Hm. No more thoughts ? Maybe the suggestions already posted will solve the problem. Thanks fellers, and Merry Christmas !!

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration