Reverse Pedal Play after New Bands

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Reverse Pedal Play after New Bands
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Philip Berg on Friday, December 23, 2016 - 08:50 pm:

Did my first model t band exchange today, only took me about five hours to complete. Easy coming out but tricky going back in.

With that said the reverse pedal has some play even though reverse works fine and grabs about 1/3 to the floor boards. I installed new cotton bands that my grandpa had.

When I had the old bands in I had adjusted reverse so much that there was no play in the pedal but reverse worked fine. Is it possible the spring has lot its spring? Brake pedal has no play neither does low just reverse.

Should I be concerned?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Friday, December 23, 2016 - 09:48 pm:

You should have play in all the pedals. When you press on the reverse pedal, the pedal will move to the left. As it moves, it will tighten the band around the drum. If you adjust to the point there is no play, you will have the band too tight and it will drag on the drum all the time the engine is running. This will lead to rapid band wear and a great possibility of cracking the drum. If the spring is weak you might find that the pedal does not come back after you depress it. If you try to pull it back by hand and it will not come back any farther, it is too tight.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Plank - Three Way, TN on Friday, December 23, 2016 - 10:03 pm:

If you adjust the band so that your pedal is only going down about 1/3 of its travel, that is too tight. The pedal should go down to 1 to 1-1/2 inches from hitting the floorboard. You want the band to grab tight just before the pedal bottoms out.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Saturday, December 24, 2016 - 08:09 am:

Dennis -- What you described is the proper way to adjust kevlar bands. Philip is using cotton ones, so they can be adjusted to engage with less pedal travel.

Norm -- You are correct, Sir.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Philip Berg on Saturday, December 24, 2016 - 02:41 pm:

I think the problem is the return spring is weak, when installing it slipped right in without a fight. I'm comparing this to installing new return springs in my coupelet last year which were longer.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration