Magneto average lifespan?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Magneto average lifespan?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jason Harms - Sacramento County, CA on Friday, December 23, 2016 - 09:23 pm:

How many years does a new magneto coil keep its magnetic charge? On average.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ted Dumas on Friday, December 23, 2016 - 09:24 pm:

100 years

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jason Harms - Sacramento County, CA on Friday, December 23, 2016 - 09:33 pm:

Ted,
Then why have mine lost their magnetic charge and I see videos of magneto coils being recharged?
Is there preventive measures?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Friday, December 23, 2016 - 09:39 pm:

It is not the coils which are recharged. It is the magnets which move by the coils when the crankshaft turns.

One reason for the magnets discharging is if someone connects the battery to the magneto post. This is sometimes done by accident and other times when the wires just happen to touch each other as in a switch problem or or wires too close at the terminal block.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dale Peterson College Place, WA on Friday, December 23, 2016 - 09:46 pm:

The coils do not hold any magnetism, the magnets work upon them to generate an electric current. The coils should remain serviceable for an indefinite time unless damaged by things like the starter bendix. The magnets, on the other hand do gradually loose their magnetic field as it naturally degrades. You can do things to speed up this process such as touching another electrical source to the mag post in any position other than the correct charging configuration.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dale Peterson College Place, WA on Friday, December 23, 2016 - 09:48 pm:

I see that Norm is faster at typing than l.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Friday, December 23, 2016 - 09:51 pm:

Magnets do lose some of their charge over time, but if they aren't accidentally weakened as Norm described it takes decades. After ninety years a lot of cars will no longer start on magneto, but have enough charge left to run on MAG once they're started. Most still run better on MAG than on BAT, even if they will no longer start that way.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Friday, December 23, 2016 - 09:57 pm:

My unrestored '17 runs fine on magneto.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Friday, December 23, 2016 - 10:10 pm:

My 17 has never been recharged since new. It easily starts with the crank on Mag.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jason Harms - Sacramento County, CA on Friday, December 23, 2016 - 10:27 pm:

Thank you for the information.
Appreciate it.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration