Buyers Beware of Scam!!

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Buyers Beware of Scam!!
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kohnkerebabbittingservice.com on Saturday, December 24, 2016 - 03:33 am:

I was looking for 2 1921/24 Buick 4 cylinder heads. I was contacted last night from a guy in CA with exactly what I was looking for. I was given a price of $200 for both of them and he said he would look to see what shipping would cost and let me know the next am. I told him I wanted pictures of them both to make sure we were on the same page. The next morning he rang the phone off the wall and said he has them boxed and ready for shipping. I said what about pictures, and he said he doesn't know how to take pics and send them by phone, and he has never owned a computer. I said, you told me you're friend had the camera what happened? Well, it's the holidays and he left to see family. Ok,,,,,so I said I was weary of scams, and he assured me he was not that kind of guy. So I went to town to send money to him from Walmart to Walmart. He seemed fairly legitimate, so I wasn't too worried. He then called me before I sent the money with a new and cheaper price for shipping. He also seemed extremely eager to have the money sent. He said each head weighed 75 five pounds, and shipping was $155.35. I said ok. While still driving, he called again and said hey,,, you don't have to send the 35 cents, that he would cover it. Hmm, how weird. Now with all the phone calls, and acting too eager, I called my dad and had him weigh the cracked head that we had, and it weighed 34 pounds without the rockers, valves, springs, or cover. Ok, so now I called him and said whats up with that? He said oops, you're right. the total weight was 75#'s and he doubled it by accident because there were 2 heads. Ya right. I told him i'm not going to send money unless he took pics of both of them from the top, and both of them together from the bottom. He said OK. Well he called back and said he couldn't find a camera and he just sold both of them to another guy for $100 for both. I know better, there were never any heads to begin with. His name is Willy, Mario Keelen. Supposed to live in Hayward California. He for sure is a con artist. Buyer beware!!!! He contacted me through the aaca in Buick parts. P,S, still looking for heads. 

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank van Ekeren (Australia) on Saturday, December 24, 2016 - 03:54 am:

Interesting story Herm, if it's really you or some one running a scam? new poster hay! maybe Herm Jr? the real Herm Kohnke has posted more than once that he's been babbitting for 53 years, stick childhood,teens and schooling on top of that and that's putting dear old dad up to near his hundred? can he still lift a Buick head?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed Baudoux Grayling Michigan on Saturday, December 24, 2016 - 09:25 am:

"Starting at the age of 14, {with the help of his dad Johnny Kohnke} Herman Kohnke bought his first 1931 Model A tudor sedan for$125. And started collecting parts for a 1914 T Roadster. At the age of 19 he bought a 1921 T center door with all aluminium body. That was the beginning of a life long passion of rebuilding antique parts, chassis, and cars. Herman collected any, and all information leading to rebuilding of cars, including: traveling out of state gathering information, and collecting original tooling, and machines to grow in his endeavor. Today his perfectionism in his business shows in everything he does. Through his road to becoming a rebuilder of antique cars, he became a perfectionist in pouring and machining babbitt bearings. At a young age Herman was very fortunate to befriend many rebabbitting shops around the country, learning first hand the skills of rebabbitting with quality babbitt. Today he is working with his son John right along side him, passing his perfection and skills on to him."

Take a few seconds to click on the website.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tony Bowker, Ramona, CA on Saturday, December 24, 2016 - 10:58 am:

This new Herm has only posted 3 times. The Herm we all know and love posts at least that many times on every babbitting thread.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Brough on Saturday, December 24, 2016 - 11:14 am:

It's a common scam. Lurkers watch the WTB or Wanted posts and they have exactly what you need at an unbelievable price. No photos, don't know details, etc. Or you will get a image from an eBay listing or some sort of image site to wet your appetite.
Funds must be wired, or Western Union or MoneyGram or Paypal, etc. And, guess what? You'll never get your item.

On large items, like a car or engine, I tell them I have a friend who lives in the area and wants to stop by and look at it. That usually ends the scam.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chad Marchees _____Tax Capital, NY on Saturday, December 24, 2016 - 11:47 am:

I believe by the read of the post and buy the profile it may be Herm's son.

Either way, always be on the lookout for scammers buying or selling. We work hard for our money, they don't.

If it doesn't feel right, do not proceed with the transaction until you are convinced and satisfied---even if it is a "Model T" person. Photos, emails, and even phone calls will often weed out the truly bad guys.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Dugger on Saturday, December 24, 2016 - 12:18 pm:

I was looking for a set of YOM plates for my Depot Hack, Cal 1917, and guy in London, England had a pair, so he said. I asked that he send a photo of the 2 plates front and back so I could see the condition and he said he did not have a way of photographing them.SCAM,SCAM. So that ended that project, as I went to regular vanity plates with MY T HACK.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank van Ekeren (Australia) on Saturday, December 24, 2016 - 03:59 pm:

I hope I've made a mistake and it is Herm's son, then I apologize to him and hope he endeavours in his search for the heads, a rare item to find, and he has become or becomes a master of his fathers trade.
With a welcome to the Forum and a 'please' relate to the posters with a little more etiquette than father.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kohnke Rebabbitting, Clare, Iowa on Saturday, December 24, 2016 - 04:07 pm:

This is my boy John, he is 49 and just sold his business and moved back here to take over my business, as he puts it, when I "Croak".

Frank, I just turned 70, although I feel 100 debating with you sometimes!

John worked for me pouring Babbitt, and machining bearings from the time he was about 14, or a little before until he was in his mid 20's.

He also restored Model T's when he was here working at night and week ends, after pouring all day, 5 days a week. At that time we had 5 other guys working full time.

He has collected Model T parts, starting at 11.

After he left here, he worked for a street rod builder in Fort Dodge, Iowa, almost 3 years.

His body work at that time featured 5 different street rods in Street Rod Mag.

After that he went on his own.

I could write a book, but I don't want to bend your ear any more.

Thanks,

Herm.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Aaron Griffey, Hayward Ca. on Sunday, December 25, 2016 - 02:39 pm:

If he would have contacted me I would have been glad to drive over and check out the Buick heads since I live in Hayward and it is a small town.
I drove to Santa Clara once, about 20 miles each way, to take pictures of a crappy model T coupe for a guy in Florida.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kohnke Rebabbitting, Clare, Iowa on Sunday, December 25, 2016 - 11:06 pm:

Thanks Aaron,

Herm.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Monday, December 26, 2016 - 03:21 am:

Thank you Herm K for chiming in with the clarification. And welcome to your son! If he is anything like you, he will be an excellent addition to our group. (Well, to most of us :-) )
As for Aaron G, he is one of the wonderful model T people. Several years ago, at an Endurance Run Tech Inspection, it was discovered that one of the race-cars had a bad front wheel bearing. Now, being a speedster, it had non-Ford wire wheels. Which happened to NOT have model T wheel bearings. They were off some other vintage car. Aaron G was there that day, heard about the problem, and happened to have the needed wheel bearing at home. In spite of being busy, and wanting to spend time with his many friends that were there that day, Aaron drove the 40 plus mile round trip, and dug the front axle he had out of the junk pile, then disassembled it to get the needed bearing. Just so a fellow model T'er could make the Run!
Aaron G is good people!

Herm and John, Good luck with getting the head you need!
Drive carefully, and enjoy, W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Semprez-Templeton, CA on Monday, December 26, 2016 - 11:01 am:

Herm, If you wrote that book about John, I'd be first in line to read it!

As the father of a "spectrum" kid I wrote a five part essay about my son restoring his 1942 Chev. 1.5 ton army truck, beginning when he was 14. I presented it to his school after they decided he was a "special needs kid" (aka - handicapped). He is now 24 and has become a gifted Auto tech.

John sounds like the kind of man we can all be proud of, and need more of in this crazy world.

John, I'm glad you didn't get stung!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Vitko on Monday, December 26, 2016 - 11:23 am:

I hope you answer future questions on Babbitt Herm, Have a bunch of them and you are at the top of my list to try and get good ones. The very day I was going to start pouring experimenting a minor stroke hit me making my left leg gimpy slowing me down fifty percent and windows ten is a pain to relearn a PC.
Best of luck on your retirement!

Paul

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kohnke Rebabbitting, Clare, Iowa on Monday, December 26, 2016 - 12:04 pm:

I am not, or can't retire Paul, as I took one of those retirement plans out when I was 19. It is called, " Work until the Day You Die " !

Thanks

Herm.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Monday, December 26, 2016 - 01:51 pm:

Herm; Maybe you will understand my Grandfathers advice. "Don't retire until you've found something to do for the rest of your life"

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kohnke Rebabbitting, Clare, Iowa on Monday, December 26, 2016 - 11:31 pm:

Sounds Good G.R. !

Herm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kohnkerebabbittingservice.com on Monday, December 26, 2016 - 11:39 pm:

I thank all of you for the encouragement, and greetings to the forum. I have found myself going more, and more to the forum for certain past articles, and input. John K.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Freighter Jim on Tuesday, December 27, 2016 - 09:51 am:

So ..

Everything ended here on a positive note ?

Freighter Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Brough on Tuesday, December 27, 2016 - 11:24 am:

Ready.

Fire.

Aim.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Tuesday, December 27, 2016 - 11:27 am:

Herm,
I have that same retirement plan. The guy that sold it to me retired at 45 and moved to Spain.

I should have done what he did not what he said!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Vitko on Tuesday, December 27, 2016 - 11:37 am:

Well good luck John----sounds like you did not just fall off the turnip truck!

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration