Trip to Estes Park

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Trip to Estes Park
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Huson, Berthoud, Co. on Saturday, December 24, 2016 - 01:12 pm:

I got tired of working in the shop every day long hours so said to heck with it and a couple of us drove our center doors to Estes Park. After lunch We drove over to Lake Estes and took some pictures with Lake Estes and the peaks in the back Ground.

Lake Estes

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Schreiber- Santa Isabel Ecuador on Saturday, December 24, 2016 - 01:22 pm:

Always enjoy your photos Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les VonNordheim on Saturday, December 24, 2016 - 01:39 pm:

Dave,
Do you know Larry Davis who lives near you? He works for the Phone Co. and is big on hunting. I worked with his brother Kirk and visited with Larry when we were on a National tour in Estes Park. He is a Mountain Man! What a wonderful area to tour, none better. Going over Trail Ridge was a hoot.

Les

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Lynn on Saturday, December 24, 2016 - 02:12 pm:

Nice shot Dave, good to see that your computer is working with photos again.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Lynn on Saturday, December 24, 2016 - 02:16 pm:

I too was out for a spin.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Huson, Berthoud, Co. on Saturday, December 24, 2016 - 04:47 pm:

Les VanNordheim; I glad you liked your tour over trail Ridge. I never get tired of doing Trail Ridge. One year the Park Service kept Trail Ridge open to Rain Bow Curve and we had a great time doing it.
This is one picture on <at 12th, below Rain bow Curve.

May 12, trail Ridge

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Huson, Berthoud, Co. on Saturday, December 24, 2016 - 04:53 pm:

Less I am sure that you would remember the view from Rain Bow Curve. My wife and I often drive up by our selves. This is a summer shot.

Rainbow Summer

Rain Bow in the Spring.

rain bow spring

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Huson, Berthoud, Co. on Saturday, December 24, 2016 - 05:12 pm:

I miss typed the date on the snow bank. It was May 12th about 2008. The next shot is Rock Cut which is way above Rainbow Curve and you can only get to it after memorial Day and it closes in late fall. You are getting close to the top when you reach Rock Cut. At a guess its maybe
another 5 or 6 miles to the top.

rock cut

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Huson, Berthoud, Co. on Saturday, December 24, 2016 - 05:21 pm:

This shot is at the top Just above ice berg lake. Ice Berg Lake pretty wells stays frozen year round. By very late August there is a small hole in the ice in the middle of the lake. This happens to be my favorite picture in my files.

favorite

Les I hope you come out with you T someday and we can have a good trip over to Grand Lake. I was pulling a trouble trailer the day you went over.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By thomas elliott nw pa on Saturday, December 24, 2016 - 05:32 pm:

Wonderful pictures Dave, It has been a few years now that we toured Trail Ridge all the way to Grand Lake, hope to again some day , we loved it (It will not be in our T I'm sure !

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gene Carrothers Huntington Beach on Saturday, December 24, 2016 - 06:13 pm:

Ya Dave, Our trip with your group the first time was my most favorite I think I have ever been on. I still remember how cold we were when we reached Rabbit Ears Pass. Of course us SoCal guys didn't bring coats with us but we thoroughly enjoyed the view like none other. Steamboat, Grand Lake, the Antlers and the Wolf Hotel were highlights.

That trip is on my bucket list to do again.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Huson, Berthoud, Co. on Saturday, December 24, 2016 - 06:41 pm:

Gene, I still use your picture from time to time. Its a great one. I did not do a Leaf Peeper Tour last fall for the first time in 25or so years. We have had as many as 85 cars on the Leaf Peeper Tour. I think that is pretty good for what started out as just a family tour every fall with two or three cars. I will try and post your picture so people will know what we are talking about on Rabbit Ears Pass above Stemaboat Springs.

Gene Carrothers

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Saturday, December 24, 2016 - 08:16 pm:

One of the best T tours ever was the Estes Park tour in 1988. Fabulous scenery. The Estes Park hotel is interesting. So is the Stanley museum.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Huson, Berthoud, Co. on Sunday, December 25, 2016 - 12:53 am:

Royce, I am glad you like the 88 Estes Tour. There was 217 Ts on the tour. It was the largest tour that the MTFCA ever had at least at that time. The Estes Park Hotel now has a gat below it on the road to it I guess to keep people out that are not staying at the hotel. They let me go through because I was driving a T and just wanted to take a picture of my T in front of the Hotel.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Sunday, December 25, 2016 - 09:47 am:

I have the panoramic photo taken in front of the hotel on the wall in my shop. It is hard to believe that it was 28 years ago. My '15 still has the same paint on the body and rear fenders. It doesn't look as good now as it did then. In the photo I am skinny and have a full head of hair! You guys did a great job on that tour, it was very memorable.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Huson, Berthoud, Co. on Sunday, December 25, 2016 - 10:00 am:

Royce: I have the same picture hanging on my Confusor room Where were you? I will see If I can find you. I tried taking a picture of the picture but there was too much glare from the window. We had a photographer from Alaska come down to take the picture. One of our guys who was on the first Texas T Parts tour to Alaska knew the photographer.

picture of 88

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Eyssen - Abilene TX on Sunday, December 25, 2016 - 10:29 am:

I too have the photo in my shop---both of them--one with participants and one without. It was a most interesting photo session and wonderful tour. I am in front on left with my white 15 touring and several kids in tow.
I know: It should be black.
Merry Christmas to all who fool with these old cars. Good health for 2017 and hope to see many in Chickasha.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Sunday, December 25, 2016 - 11:31 am:

Dave,

I am all the way on the end standing. A great photo and a wonderful time. The body and rear fenders are the ones on my '15, same as on that tour. The current chassis came from a late '14 that Pete Cobb restored in the 1990's. Interestingly enough, the chassis currently under my '15 came from Tim Eyssen's '14!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Huson, Berthoud, Co. on Sunday, December 25, 2016 - 12:03 pm:

Tim: I see your car with all the Kids. There is two white 15s on the left but I would guess because of the Kids you are the one 5 from the end. I didn't remember that there was two photos until you mentioned it. I wonder if there are any modern photos with more Ts than that picture. Did you do Trail Ridge? One of our trouble truck driver fell ill so I had to do one of the trouble trucks that day. Its too bad more people don't get the satisfaction of climbing To the Top of Trail Ridge 12,183, Mount Evens 14,264, Pikes Peak 14,110 or Mount Washington back East. You really feel you have done something in a T when you do one of those. I have done all four.

picture

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Huson, Berthoud, Co. on Sunday, December 25, 2016 - 12:14 pm:

Royce: I can see you very plainly way off in right hand corner, My car is the centerdoor about 10 cars to your right facing the camera. I am afraid I am not good enough to get a picture of my self like you did.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Sunday, December 25, 2016 - 06:12 pm:

Dave,

I could not figure out where you are. Maybe you can see your self in one of these? The more I look at the photo the more I realize how few folks there are left who were on that trip with us. I think the Eyssens and Shirley Cain may be the only ones I know besides Dave Huson, Frank Fenton, Howard Genrich and Barbara McCalley who are still around.
\popjpeg706294,}

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Eyssen - Abilene TX on Sunday, December 25, 2016 - 10:54 pm:

Dave: Yes: That is the Eyssen clan number 5 from left, and yes, we made the trip---all of it if I remember in a completely stock 15. I remember one part of the tour where many turned around at a very steep hill and went an easier route. Fool that I was, I with a full passenger load ventured up the grade very slowly, but did make it. Cannot remember where it was, but I know you would.
Royce: I will see if I still have any info on the tour and see who else I might recognize. Also: If my 14 chassis is under your 15, where did Pete get the 14 chassis on the car I have that I purchased from him? Such a mystery.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Huson, Berthoud, Co. on Sunday, December 25, 2016 - 11:31 pm:

Royce: I was in the very back row. My wife and I waited so every one could get in line. I think in the very back row There is a red car I think is Ken my son's 26 roadster, Two cars to the left I think is my Center door with the natural wood in the sides of the Windshield. That is the picture that is second to the last. Just before the picture with you in it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Monday, December 26, 2016 - 12:43 pm:

I think this is your Center Door Dave!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Gumbinger, Kenosha, WI on Monday, December 26, 2016 - 03:52 pm:

I see Humble Howards red speedster with the white exhaust pipe in the 4th picture from the left, and also just the front end of it on the third picture from the left on the far right side of the picture.

We would have been on that tour except that I just changed jobs the year before and couldn't take the time off for it.

Hal Schedler, are you and Vonnie on this one?

Keith

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gene Carrothers Huntington Beach on Tuesday, December 27, 2016 - 02:29 am:

Hey Keith, Wow that's some good eyes ya got. I'll have to tell HH when I see him on Sat. at the HME.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration