Saturday Morning Coffee and or breakfast

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Saturday Morning Coffee and or breakfast
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Huson, Berthoud, Co. on Saturday, December 24, 2016 - 01:32 pm:

Some Model T guys get together at Grandpa's every Saturday morning in Berthoud Co. We took some pictures this morning. Any one that is in the area is invited that is interested in Ts are invited to attend.

Grandpa's Sign

Later We drove West of Town and took some more.

snow above park

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Saturday, December 24, 2016 - 01:47 pm:

Great pics!

Linking back to an earlier thread on Floyd Clymer, wasn't he the youngest car dealer in the nation at 12 years old in Berthoud, CO?

Are there any plaques or other rememberances of him in Berthoud?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John C Codman on Saturday, December 24, 2016 - 02:05 pm:

I didn't know that he lived in Berthoud, but I remember reading that he was, in fact, the youngest car dealer.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Donahue on Saturday, December 24, 2016 - 02:57 pm:

Pretty cool! Would love to join you Dave, but that would be waaaaay west for me! Merry Christmas to you and the other 3 T owners!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Saturday, December 24, 2016 - 03:07 pm:

https://www.hemmings.com/magazine/hcc/2005/05/Floyd-Clymer/1281287.html

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Saturday, December 24, 2016 - 05:18 pm:

Dave, I am sure you T guys have become celebrities at Grandpa's. Folks always enjoy seeing the T's parked and probably have lots of questions and stories for you.
It is nice that you do that.
Rich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Huson, Berthoud, Co. on Saturday, December 24, 2016 - 07:06 pm:

There is a large picture on the side of a brick building that shows Clymer and his brother selling cars in Berthoud when clymer was still a teen ager. What is hard for me to understand is a T guy went to the local library and asked if there was any information on Clymer at the Library. The _____ didn't even know who Clymer was and had never heard of the family. There is a very large mansion on the main street of Berthoud That was called the Clymer House. Floyd's dad was the local doctor. It had been turned into a high class restaurant. I took them a nice original Clymer through the windshield spot light so they could hang it on the wall next to some information on the Clymers. The restaurant sold soon after that and all mention of the Clymers removed and the light disappeared.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Warwick Landy Traralgon Australia on Saturday, December 24, 2016 - 07:33 pm:

Dave, You need to take the T's on a Clymer tour and photograph points and locations to share with us. Lots of us have Clymer literature in our collections and some pictures would make it more real!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dale Peterson College Place, WA on Saturday, December 24, 2016 - 07:59 pm:

Floyd actually sold Flanders automobiles in Berthoud, on a publicity drive to Spokane, WA, they finally abandoned the car and ended up in Walla Walla where he helped Harold Dahlen unload the first traincar load of T's to arrive there and wrangled his way into a salesman position there. That is where his T connection started.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Saturday, December 24, 2016 - 08:15 pm:

Floyd had a Sister who lived in Idaho Falls, ID. We knew her as the nice lady whose house we passed on our treks downtown. She would always ask us how we were and we were a little too shy to visit with her. When I got old cars and realized who Floyd was she was failing and I didn't get much chance to hear more about him.
I have always enjoyed his books and bought all I could find. Some of them have the story of him being a "Kid Agent" and meeting Henry Ford.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By brass car guy on Saturday, December 24, 2016 - 11:42 pm:

Floyds automotive history wound up in Spokane. Not sure where he had the Clymer thru windshield spot light.

Interesting a few years later he was the guest of the Federal Government after being convicted of mail fraud. There was a post here that had copies of his arrest record and his time in prison.

For sometime he was quite successful in the publishing business with Clymer Scrap books. That too became part of his folklore, seems he had an over active love for spirited beverages. At the end he had little left as the book business was gone as well as the cars.

His last car the Royal Tourist was sold to Harrah's. Floyds last attempt to become news was to offer the car to Harrah's. They offered $25,000.00 in the mid 60's.

He wanted to call the news media and TV networks to record him receiving the check. At the time it was thought to be the highest price paid for an antique car. Harrah's politely declined the publicity stunt. Floyd needing the money decided to take the check and forgo the publicity stunt.

just sayin'

brasscarguy

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By brass car guy on Saturday, December 24, 2016 - 11:43 pm:

Floyds automotive history wound up in Spokane. Not sure where he had the Clymer thru windshield spot light.

Interesting a few years later he was the guest of the Federal Government after being convicted of mail fraud. There was a post here that had copies of his arrest record and his time in prison.

For sometime he was quite successful in the publishing business with Clymer Scrap books. That too became part of his folklore.

just sayin'

brasscarguy

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Huson, Berthoud, Co. on Sunday, December 25, 2016 - 12:01 am:

Richard Eagle, because Berthoud is a fairly small town, now about 5,000 thousand all the T Guys are well known. When the girls at grand Pa's see us coming they have our coffee orders waiting for us and greet each one by our first name. The local town people tell us over and over how glad that we take care of the Ts and drive them.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Huson, Berthoud, Co. on Sunday, December 25, 2016 - 12:29 am:

Warwick Landry: I will take some pictures of the mural showing Clymer out side the shop selling cars and the Clymer House. I will have to get with the history Club to find out more. Since both places are on the main highway through town and is really the main street it may be difficult to get pictures of some Ts in front of either one.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration