Where to buy #12 - 32 nuts?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Where to buy #12 - 32 nuts?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Saturday, December 24, 2016 - 04:41 pm:

The spark rod for my 1910 needs a #12 -32 nut at the steering column end. I have every size except that one. If I had a #12-32 tap I would just make a nut. But I don't have a tap that size either. Any suggestions?

Note that the reproduction spark rods have a #10-32 nut. I am not looking for one of those.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Saturday, December 24, 2016 - 05:07 pm:

Maybe Bob Bergstadt or Chaffin's?

There are some 12-32 taps on Ebay, but no 12-32 nuts that I could see.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Saturday, December 24, 2016 - 05:32 pm:

Thanks Mark, I ordered a regular tap, bottoming tap, and a die from a guy in California. Now I can make some nuts!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Townsend ; ^ ) Gresham, Orygun on Saturday, December 24, 2016 - 08:22 pm:

Royce-
Use a coil point nut.
-Keith

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Layden Butler on Saturday, December 24, 2016 - 08:48 pm:

Actually the Ford parts book calls for 7/32-32 but a 12-32 is within thousandths and will do.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John F. Regan on Saturday, December 24, 2016 - 09:23 pm:

As Keith stated. KW and Ford coil point mounting hardware is 12-32 thread. Take some off an old coil.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Saturday, December 24, 2016 - 09:30 pm:

Ok I will!

Merry Christmas

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stan Howe Helena, Montana on Saturday, December 24, 2016 - 11:01 pm:

I make a handful once in awhile in brass in 3 8 n 7 16. Let me know if you need some. I have brass hex from 3 16 to 1 1 4. Just takes a minute to make them. I have 7 32 taps and dies as well as 12 32.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Sunday, December 25, 2016 - 07:59 am:

The taps are available from McMaster - Carr they are listed under UNEF (extra fine threads)
https://www.mcmaster.com/#standard-taps/=15mdqr6

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Barker, Somerset, England on Sunday, December 25, 2016 - 08:34 am:

Buy 10-32 and a 12-32 tap.
Merry Christmas

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eugene Story on Monday, December 26, 2016 - 04:23 pm:

google up I want to buy a 12 32 thread die. You can get taps and dies. $16 plus shipping for a die.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Monday, December 26, 2016 - 06:31 pm:

I paid $31 for both taps, the die and shipping.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stan Howe Helena, Montana on Monday, December 26, 2016 - 07:49 pm:

If anyone knows of a source for 7/16 x 12 AMERICAN thread taps, I'd like to have one. I've so far bought two but they are both English Standard and do not match American thread forms.

MSC nor McMaster Carr has them, none of the specialty tap places have them in correct thread form.

I haven't looked for awhile but Stromberg carburetors have one piece that needs that thread.

I probably will end up just making one from drill rod if I ever get time.

FYI, many English taps do not match American form including a lot of the fractional ones sold as ME, which is Model Engineering.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eugene Story on Monday, December 26, 2016 - 08:23 pm:

Isn't English threads Whitworth, which is a thread of it's own

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stan Howe Helena, Montana on Monday, December 26, 2016 - 08:28 pm:

Not all. Whitworth is one British thread form, there are others.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Todd, ............Red Deer, Alberta on Monday, December 26, 2016 - 09:18 pm:

Whitworth is coarse thread, there is also BSF (British Standard Fine). Both have 55 pitch threads which is slightly different that the 60 threads used in America.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ted Dumas on Monday, December 26, 2016 - 10:18 pm:

Qual Tech has them for $11.95

http://cdn.opentip.com/Industrial-Scientific/Qualtech-Quot-Hss-Plug-Hand-Tap-p-7 754945.html?gclid=CJ7X2di0k9ECFQGmaQodG-sEDA

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ted Dumas on Monday, December 26, 2016 - 10:21 pm:

If you have a lathe, a torch, an air cut off tool and some cyanide you should be able to make just about any size tap.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stan Howe Helena, Montana on Monday, December 26, 2016 - 10:40 pm:

I don't have any cyanide and no time to do things like that. Qual Tech is a company I have not heard of, their web site is down but probably will work later. I'll try again. Thanks.

Back to the shop.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John F. Regan on Monday, December 26, 2016 - 10:55 pm:

Stan:

I have purchased special thread taps from KBCTools many times and they are decent enough to make whatever I was making at the time. Just in case you have not tried them then here is a link to the item you seek and they have it in stock. It is an import but like I said - I have used them and the price isn't too high to take a chance on them.

http://www.kbctools.com/default.aspx?page=item+detail&itemcode=1-372-180&catlist =19178&parent=4825

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stan Howe Helena, Montana on Tuesday, December 27, 2016 - 12:13 am:

Ask and ye shall receive!!!! Amazing. I've looked for one for at least a year and they have them in plug, taper and bottom. Thanks!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John F. Regan on Tuesday, December 27, 2016 - 01:25 am:

I recall you did me a good favor awhile back at an auction you and I put together near that mountain with faces in it. Get on their mailing list since they run some 15% off everything kinda sales which is when I generally pick up stuff that I regularly use. Their web site search tool isn't the most powerful so you sometimes have to search for something more than one way to see if they have it. They have a thick hard paper catalog that is more complete and they send those out from time to time but I knew they had a lot of "special thread taps" and they have dies too.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stan Howe Helena, Montana on Tuesday, December 27, 2016 - 01:42 am:

Well, now we are off the topic a ways but wasn't that a fun auction?? I think we raised a little over $10,000 for the youth programs. You did most of the work and I had most of the fun.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John F. Regan on Tuesday, December 27, 2016 - 02:00 am:

What I thought was the most fun was at the beginning when we needed to kill a bit of time because somebody put up a sign that had the wrong auction start time. We played a game you dreamed up and it was supposed to be that somebody in the audience would get half of the pot while the youth auction fund would get the other half but the last guys standing all bet on the flip of the coin coming up heads and it came up tails so you announced that they all 3 lost so the kids got to keep ALL of the money. Quick thinking and everybody laughed and we had already made about $300 and hadn't even sold anything yet. It was a hoot. Yep we made that much money and had a ton of fun. I think it was your finest hour Stan and something was just magic in that room that night. I don't remember the work of getting the donations but I sure remember the fun of it all and the total was more than a few years of scholarships for several young folks. I too apologize for the thread drift but a fun time to remember and a room full of generous people all working toward something that was for younger folks to give them a boost in life. Model T people at their finest.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stan Howe Helena, Montana on Tuesday, December 27, 2016 - 02:33 am:

I've done that game probably 100 times. It is a great fund raiser. I have a new twist in it so the benefit always keeps nearly all the money. I never tell them they are going to get half, I just let them think they are. Lotsa fun and quick and easy.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Darren J Wallace, Woodstock,Ont. Canada on Tuesday, December 27, 2016 - 10:12 am:

Taylor Tap & Die here in Ontario will make any size tap or die you want. They made me a 5/8" diameter left hand thread die, 100 threads per inch, buttress thread!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Darren J Wallace, Woodstock,Ont. Canada on Tuesday, December 27, 2016 - 10:15 am:

I also had all the taps and dies made for Holley G carbs, and there's no shortage of special threads not easily found on them today.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stan Howe Helena, Montana on Tuesday, December 27, 2016 - 10:26 am:

I have probably 50 special thread taps and dies but it seems like there is always another size I need. The fuel inlet size on some early carbs is 17 32 x 18 but a cut off 1 4 inch pipe thread is so close it will work.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration