FJ - Your choice for best thread and/or best post of 2016 on MTFCA forum

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: FJ - Your choice for best thread and/or best post of 2016 on MTFCA forum
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Freighter Jim on Saturday, December 24, 2016 - 04:43 pm:

To end the year on a positive and hopefully uplifting note - look back and post what you think is the best post and/or thread of 2016 on this forum.

If you can - link the thread so others can click on it to view.

Freighter Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Freighter Jim on Saturday, December 24, 2016 - 04:48 pm:

My choice is biased.

I have met the author in person & had the pleasure of sharing a couple meals with him.

In my humble opinion - he should be doing stand up comedy or writing comedy for a living - he is just that good ... :-)

From this thread @ http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/599638/704617.html?1482612755

Scroll down to this post to read - take your time and fully appreciate the layers of humor .... :-)

By Burger in Spokane on Saturday, December 24, 2016 - 12:30 pm:

Freighter Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Sunday, December 25, 2016 - 03:15 am:

Thank you Freighter Jim!
If I may, just a caution note, this (yours) IS on a thread some do try to avoid. That said, the "best post" you referred to is EXCELLENT and should end up on everyone's top ten list.
But then, I have always liked Mr B's truly warped (and rightly so) sense of humor.

There have been many wonderful threads and many fantastic postings on this forum this year. It saddens me that a number of good past regulars have taken offense and disappeared. I do hope some of them come back.
At the moment, I cannot think of a personal favorite.
Regardless, Merry Christmas to all! As well as hopefully a Happy and Prosperous New Year!
Wayne and Linda Sheldon

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Murray on Sunday, December 25, 2016 - 10:03 am:

Hi FJ,

As a newbie there are so many choices; but in the category of Most Informative, I would chose:

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/599638/696918.html?1482342989

Also, in the category of Best Photograph, I like all of the old photos; but the one I keep going back to is this new photo:

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/599638/704638.html?1482458446

I've never owned an RPU but they always catch my attention, and in my opinion this one is outstanding...nice job Jerry!

Merry Christmas everyone... Jack Murray

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Freighter Jim on Sunday, December 25, 2016 - 10:12 am:

Wayne,

Many folks frequent the forum - few ever post - most of those who do are just plain fine people- I have had the good fortune to meet some of them in my travels along with those who never post.

Jack,

Thanks for posting your choices.

Freighter Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charlie B actually in Toms River N.J. on Sunday, December 25, 2016 - 10:18 am:

Royce's recent valve job posting.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Sean Butler Huntington Beach, CA on Sunday, December 25, 2016 - 01:19 pm:

I will also give my nod to that post of Royce's. He takes ample pictures, annotates them when needed, and provides informative text to the project and procedures. All of this obviously takes time.

I have sent this particular post to non-Model T friends who are either mechanical engineers, antiquers, or both. I know it has turned a few of them at least into lurkers. Kudos to Royce.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Sunday, December 25, 2016 - 01:35 pm:

While I enjoy many of the threads posted this year I must say my favorite all-time thread was the one that our Steve Jelf posted in 2014. "Selfie"

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/411944/421436.html

As important as the technical information is sometimes the lighter side is a good diversion from other issues. I hope there will always be room here for a little bit of humor.

Rich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Sunday, December 25, 2016 - 02:25 pm:

I think Royce Peterson and Steve Jelf are pretty much tied for "first place" in the area of "instructional videos". They both do an excellent job of explaining how to deal with specific restoration, repair or maintainance chores, however, an added comment about one detail I feel is worthy of mention:

Both Steve and Royce make some excellent videos, however, sometimes more can be learned from those videos than meets the eye by re-watching and paying close attention to details that are not really the basic "theme" of the video, but just how those guys do things,....for instance:

In several of the driving videos Royce has made, it would do a lot of us some good to watch carefully how Royce drives. I think many Model T drivers, (and not just "newbies") could learn a lot about how to be easy on bands. I usually get too "wordy" so won't go into too much "detail" here, but if you watch closely, you'll note that Royce avoids slipping "low" band almost entirely by "MATCHING" road speed and slow engine RPM almost perfectly most of the time. And his use of engine compression braking instead of the brake pedal most of the time too. Suffice to say that driving like Royce does would make even the old style Scandinavia band lining (which is actually smoother than Kevlar or wood) last a very long time and it would certainly pay to try to mimic his driving technique,...FWIW,.....harold

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Sunday, December 25, 2016 - 03:43 pm:

In a few recent threads I have had my mind turned back to
three years spent in Afghanistan. Words cannot convey the
cacophony of experiences that was. From the brotherhood
of the Marine Corps to the heat, the cold, to the anger and
sadness of seeing war up close and personal, to the frustrations
of bureaucracy and ineffectualness, to the inner strength we
all found in getting the mission accomplished, however small
it might have been. The bad food, the dysentery, the physical
exhaustion, the emotional toll. It was hell and the most exhilarating
experience a person could ever go through. It was life defining,
and put everything else in perspective.

Nothing will get a person's head squared away for what is a
problem like carrying another screaming human away from a
blast zone, only to go back and get their legs to put them in
the litter with them.

The comment/s above about people taking offense and having
humor as part of this forum all come crashing in around being
sober in how we define what to take seriously and what is simply
an annoyance, or even something to laugh about.

I have a Model T to escape the crap in life. If it isn't crackhead
thieves that prowl my neighborhood in the pre-dawn hours, or an
inescapable rancorous political scene, I am probably not alone
finding a welcome peace in owning, working on, commiserating
with others about, and driving my truck.

Having had the afghan experience, I have a short fuse for those
who go through life looking for something to be offended over,
and wish upon them a sobering experience of what is and is not
a problem, so they can find a new perspective of gratitude for all
the good things in our lives, the ability to laugh at adversity, and
most of all, at ourselves.

Much of this forum is great, as is the hobby. I enjoy it a lot.

Humor and gratitude begins with self. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Sunday, December 25, 2016 - 03:52 pm:

Amen.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Killecut on Sunday, December 25, 2016 - 05:54 pm:

All the old photos members take the time and effort to post, very enjoyable, thank you all.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Monday, December 26, 2016 - 12:44 am:

I too love the old photos. The discussions that may follow some
can also be very informative. My favorite part of T ownership, history.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Freighter Jim on Monday, December 26, 2016 - 02:20 pm:

My apologies ....

The post I reference was authored by Montana Dodge Boys on Facebook in 2015.

Freighter Jim

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration