Grant oil rings

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Grant oil rings
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By lorenzo leon on Sunday, December 25, 2016 - 10:06 am:

I have a problem installing the oil ring on a .030 over with new alum. pistons ,the compression rings go in ok but the oil ring with the expander is almost imposible to install ,and if i do get it to go it tightens the the piston where i cant hardly move it up or down
Any one had this problem ??,the rings i got from langs . long ago the pistons too ,and they are cam ground
Thank you for any input , Lorenzo

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By keith g barrier Savannah Tn. on Sunday, December 25, 2016 - 11:29 am:

Don't know what to say about the grant rings, always preferred perfect circle for the compression and Hastings for the oil control rings. Don't know if either are available any more . KGB

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Pat Kelly Montana on Sunday, December 25, 2016 - 11:54 am:

I just installed Grant rings in my roadster. No problem. What is the end gap? PK

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tony Bowker, Ramona, CA on Sunday, December 25, 2016 - 12:19 pm:

I just installed Grant rings in a 24 engine with no problems. Make sure the gap is about 0.010-12". Check all four cylinders in at least three or four places in the bore. If this is correct, the engine should free up after running for about an hour.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Dugger on Sunday, December 25, 2016 - 12:32 pm:

Sure sounds like end gap and if you do file the ends DONT leave sharp end, dress it a bit!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Bender Tulsa Oklahoma on Sunday, December 25, 2016 - 01:00 pm:

Questions
Fresh bored block?
What skirt clearance was allow?
Ring rule of thumb for ring gap, .0045" x bore = ring gap. Example: 3.750" plus .030" over bore = 3.780" x .0045" = .017" ring gap.
If all of the above is correct the rings will drag, The amount of drag will depend on the final honing process. Course hone = more drag, and will be less after the engine has ran for a bit.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Sullivan on Sunday, December 25, 2016 - 01:41 pm:

Are those Grant rings still cast iron? If so, check your groove depth, may have to discard the expanders. This is from old school, may not apply. Merry Christmas, Dave in Bellingham,WA

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan McEachern on Sunday, December 25, 2016 - 02:47 pm:

Are these 1 piece oil rings or the three piece rail type oil ring?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By gene french on Sunday, December 25, 2016 - 03:00 pm:

Lorenzo:
you state new aluminum pistons ...BUT... I have had to discard the expander when using several brands of NOS pistons in re-builds ...in checking the ring groove depth I found that with the expander inplace the section thickness of the ring assembly was over .005 too thick..that is .005 per side ...this would not even allow assembly of piston in the cylinder bore ...check ring end gap in the cylinder bore and compare the depth of the ring groove in the piston and the total section thickness of ring and expander ...also I like to bore and hone cylinders for .004 clearance to piston ...BUT this is another topic for discussion ...hope this helps...always an optimist ...gene french

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By lorenzo leon on Sunday, December 25, 2016 - 03:21 pm:

Mike, fresh bored,.004 skirt clearence,.018 +ring gap ,.003 ring groove clearance [up doun ]on groove deth was OK ,when i can turn it it bibrates sound like rusty hindge,when i can get it to go faster on long hand crank it does not make the sound ,rods are good ,its the oil ring im sure

David,yes cast iron, I was thinking of discarding the expander , but i called GRANT they told me not to or ill have a smoker ,.Ill call again and see if i can get oil rings with 3 parts [newer]

Thank you all for the input.and a Merry Christmas to all,.Lorenzo

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan McEachern on Sunday, December 25, 2016 - 03:32 pm:

Grant makes a 1 piece cast iron oil ring that uses a small diameter COIL spring expander rather that the flat wave spring expander that goes behind the oil ring. Just wondering if that is the type of ring you are dealing with.
Dan

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By lorenzo leon on Sunday, December 25, 2016 - 06:21 pm:

Dan,. its the flat wave spring expander

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bruce Compton on Sunday, December 25, 2016 - 07:08 pm:

I just installed a set of Grant rings today (0.020) from Langs and had no problems. They had the coil spring expander for the oil ring and I checked several end gaps that were consistently between 0.011 to 0.012. Bruce

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Bender Tulsa Oklahoma on Sunday, December 25, 2016 - 07:53 pm:

Your clearance are good.
I suspect that your drag is from the finish left from the honing. A course finish will set up a lot of drag and make some scraping sounds, it will also go away as the rings seat in.
With out seeing and hearing I think you have a good set up, assuming you have used the same accepted standards on the balance of the engine build.

call if you like 918 260 2525

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Plank - Three Way, TN on Sunday, December 25, 2016 - 08:00 pm:

Make sure you don't have the ends of the expander over lapped.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By lorenzo leon on Sunday, December 25, 2016 - 09:36 pm:

Dennis, the ends did not overlap when installed on the piston without the ring, maybe that as the ring compress the ends may grow and overlap or meet on the ends?,maybe that they sent the wrong xpanders with the rings?, maybe cut one end shorter and try ?

Mike, the honing does looks course,ill recheck and start over and see if i missed something
ill keep your number just in case
Sure aprichiate the help,. thank you all , Lorenzo

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ted Dumas on Sunday, December 25, 2016 - 11:11 pm:

If memory serves me correctly on my 24, rebored 0.030 with aluminum pistons, I could not get the oil rings with the expanders to fit. I put it together without them and it worked fine. Original Ford oil rings were just plain rings like the compression rings and they worked fine.

I think you can toss the expanders and you will be fine. The honing should look scratchy, if the bores were smooth and pretty, it would be a long time before the rings seated. If you start prettying the cylinders up with a hone you may end up with an oversized mess.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration