Where to buy axle shaft

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Where to buy axle shaft
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Osterman on Sunday, December 25, 2016 - 11:34 am:

Any suggestions where to buy a good quality, properly machined rear axle shaft these days?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Sunday, December 25, 2016 - 11:39 am:

Given your location I would say Lang's. Or find a good original.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed Baudoux Grayling Michigan on Sunday, December 25, 2016 - 11:47 am:

I bought a pair of the new ones through Lang's, and they look like very good quality. I've driven for two years on them, in a heavy Fordor.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Osterman on Sunday, December 25, 2016 - 11:50 am:

Must be typical that the passenger side of the outer axle shaft gets worn at the bearing area due to all the pot holes on the edges of the roads. Only one shaft is worn enough to be concerned, but since I have the rear opened up I'm assuming I should replace both at the same time.

Anyone have a couple of clean original rear axle shafts with gears to sell cheap?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Osterman on Sunday, December 25, 2016 - 11:51 am:

I saw an earlier post about some shafts from Langs that were not machined properly for the gear and the hub keyways. That's why I asked.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Sunday, December 25, 2016 - 12:07 pm:

I think all of them come from Chaffins regardless of who sells them at the retail level. I've used the reproduction axles and not had a problem. The reproduction drive shafts are (or at least recently have been) trouble.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Osterman on Sunday, December 25, 2016 - 12:47 pm:

Thanks all ... I'll go for the reproduction axles then. Next step ... removing the gears from the old axles. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan McEachern on Sunday, December 25, 2016 - 12:48 pm:

If you are seeing excessive wear on only one side, I check that housing for being bent.

Dan

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charles Weisgerber- Vancouver WA. on Sunday, December 25, 2016 - 01:36 pm:

I've just installed two new rear axles in my 25 rebuild. I used .500 Hyatt wheel bearings and .498/.499 inner bearings along with the newer hardened sleeves. Everything went together as it should. I had a machine shop do the press work to install the axle gears..with no problems reported. The axle shafts and hardened sleeves were purchased through Lang"s

As for a driveshaft, if you need one, order it from Fun projects. In my opinion it's the best reproduction driveshaft on the market because everything will fit as it's supposed to. I used a NOS universal joint, it slipped on with a perfect fit, and the pin lining up perfectly.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By lorenzo leon on Wednesday, December 28, 2016 - 03:58 pm:

Be sure to measure the shaft where the gear goes ,[compare to original], I had one i forced the gear on, the shaft bent,scraped the shaft ruined the gear,it was not machined properly,
lost good gear
no fun , Happy new year

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Wednesday, December 28, 2016 - 04:28 pm:

I agree on the drive shaft. John griped for years about the repops being wrong, so he got the Ford drawings and started making correct ones. I'd get it directly from him to avoid possibly getting one of the bum ones.

http://www.funprojects.com/search.aspx?querystr=drive%20shaft&querytype=all

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration