MTFCA magazine binders

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: MTFCA magazine binders
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allen Banks on Sunday, December 25, 2016 - 08:39 pm:

I inherited a large collection of MTFCA magazines that my dad had in binders. The binders look like they came from MTFCA and had their logo stamped on them. I don't see them selling those through the website so I'm not sure if they were discontinued or where he got them. Does anyone have any leads on these?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Sunday, December 25, 2016 - 08:52 pm:

These were offered in 1980. VF Page 50 vol 15 no. 4. There may have been other versions in earlier or later years.
Rich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allen Banks on Sunday, December 25, 2016 - 09:18 pm:

That's probably it! Doesn't sound like they are available anymore. :-(

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Sunday, December 25, 2016 - 09:30 pm:

Those binders are thirty to forty years old now. I wonder if anybody who has some can tell us how well they've survived. Some products like that are like new after several decades, while others are falling apart after just a few years.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allen Banks on Sunday, December 25, 2016 - 09:43 pm:

The ones I have look brand new!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Sunday, December 25, 2016 - 09:54 pm:

FWIW I looked further and found these first advertised in the Nov/Dec 1967 VF. It was larger ad by the same folks.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Sunday, December 25, 2016 - 09:58 pm:

Or maybe not the same folks. What years of magazines were in them?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Sunday, December 25, 2016 - 09:58 pm:

I had one Vintage Ford binder that was embossed for Vol. 1.

I sold it a while back to someone who was looking for Vintage Ford binders.

Frankly, I didn't like the binder because the steel wires that held the magazines in place oxidized and left marks on the pages. (You place the wire between the two middle pages along the inside of the spine.)

The binders look similar to below:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Matthiesen on Sunday, December 25, 2016 - 10:00 pm:

I have a full set of the Vintage Ford magazines from my father in those binders. The early version of the binders that my father starting collecting were for six issues, one year, and use the wire to hold the magazine. The later version of the binders that I have bought were for twelve issues, two years, and use three rings and a plastic adaptor to hold the magazine. My binders have held up well and are in good condition. As far as I know the embossed type Vintage Ford binders have not been made for over ten years. I have enough to last me a few more years and then it will be regular black three ring binders with the common plastic adaptors.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allen Banks on Sunday, December 25, 2016 - 10:01 pm:

I'll have to check the years. I'm guessing late 80s. Each holds one year or 12 magazines.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allen Banks on Tuesday, December 27, 2016 - 05:28 pm:

Hey all,...got a real nice letter from Doug who PM'd me. I'm including it here:

Hi Allen: My name is Doug Durein. I made the binders. I am a 50 plus yr member of both T clubs. When our company was in SF, it was called American Binder. When we moved to Oakland in 1971, we changed our name to American Durein. I sold the business in 1988, and that ended our making of the binders. We actually lost a little money on every sale, but because I was in the hobby, and we had to sell at a price that people would pay, we absorbed the small loss. I read the forum regularly, but am not set up to actually respond on the forum, hence I am writing you direct.I wouldn't mind if you wanted to pass my message on, I would like members to know. Actually, someone after me did continue to make binders, but I don't think they did it very long. Best to you, Doug Durein

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Colin Mavins Winnipeg,Canada on Wednesday, December 28, 2016 - 09:34 am:

Dads First 20 years are in binders from the club 1967 thur 1987 I don`t know when they where bought,they do have The Vintage Ford stamped in the cover,holds one year per binder

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George Mills_Indian Rocks, FL on Wednesday, December 28, 2016 - 10:47 am:

Steve,

I bought a caseload of them when the '12 rod'/2-year version came out.

I also bought a set of those plastic spine things on 3-rings by whoever made them.

The 12 rod version are good as new...vinyl is not hardened or cracked and I think the edition used first for me was 1979. I ran out of binders a long time ago and now the newer issues sit in piles.

I'm not sure about my rods...they have never rusted and marred the magazines. Mine are definitely spring steel, maybe even hard stainless? Don't know, still shiny as new.

The plastic spine / 3 ringed thing? Pffft...they sag and the corners of the mags show it after years.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration