Old Photo - Model T Era - View Looking North Up Vine Street Toward The The Hollywoodland Sign

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Old Photo - Model T Era - View Looking North Up Vine Street Toward The The Hollywoodland Sign
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Monday, December 26, 2016 - 10:28 am:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Monday, December 26, 2016 - 07:25 pm:

Before they invented lane marking. Nice pic Jay. I forgot it was called "Hollywoodland" before it became just "Hollywood".

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Lovejoy, So Cal on Monday, December 26, 2016 - 08:50 pm:

almost never see any motorcycles in these photo's. I know they were out there, just kind of interesting, I am always looking though

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Monday, December 26, 2016 - 09:08 pm:

There is a native shrub which grows all over southern California, Toyon. We have many of them in our yard. It has red berries which ripen in the late fall. It is really not, "Holly" but the popular name is California Holly.

These shrubs are very common around the hills in the Los Angeles area, and in the 1920's a subdivider named his subdivision "Hollywoodland". Over the years the nickname for that part of Los Angeles became "Hollywood". Later the "lands" was removed from the sign. Because of the movie studios the post office in the area is named "Hollywood" but the area is really inside Los Angeles city limits.

I was born in the Hollywood Hospital which is on Western Avenue Near Franklin Ave. Our family lived in Glendale which was about 5 or 6 miles east of Hollywood.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Monday, December 26, 2016 - 10:53 pm:

I would like to visit THIS Los Angeles. Anyone know how to get there ?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Tuesday, December 27, 2016 - 03:21 am:

Can you get your TT up to 88 miles per hour? I do have a 120 volt degausser in my workbench drawer that you may use to align your flux capacitor if you have one.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Schwab on Tuesday, December 27, 2016 - 03:47 pm:

What's the other "H" on the hill.... Just to the left if you would follow the street up the hill?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Tuesday, December 27, 2016 - 04:30 pm:

David, It stands for "Honkyland" :-)My Bad!:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank Harris from Long Beach, CA on Tuesday, December 27, 2016 - 08:05 pm:

It's the H put there by Hollywood high school athletes. Most high school students put their Letter on a high place around the town and their letterman's sweaters.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration