Old Photo - 1911 Torpedo In The Fifty's As A Parts Store Sidewalk Display

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Old Photo - 1911 Torpedo In The Fifty's As A Parts Store Sidewalk Display
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Monday, December 26, 2016 - 10:36 am:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Walter Higgins on Monday, December 26, 2016 - 04:32 pm:

Looks like a common louvered hood. Wonder how they made up for it being two inches too short?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham on Monday, December 26, 2016 - 04:42 pm:

Revell Authentikit . . .
I just realized it's likely this car is probably responsible for my infatuation with Model T. When I was 6 or 7, I was gifted with a Revell model kit, a 1910 Model T Ford Torpedo Roadster. At the time, there was a series of antique car models offered by that company. The kit was a lot of fun, because after you put it together, you had a great toy car to play with. This one was my favorite, and probably "imprinted" me.

'51 Mercury in the background, I can't tell the make of the other car across the street, but it may be a couple of years newer - or not. One of the things that definitely appeals about the Model T era is how rapidly things changed. The difference between that Torpedo and the Merc is monumental and fascinating. Can you imagine anyone these days being drawn to an automotive display by putting ANY car made in 1976 on display ? Ho-hum.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Hagerty on Monday, December 26, 2016 - 04:56 pm:

49 or 50 Ford across the street? Tail light looks about right.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Codman on Monday, December 26, 2016 - 05:47 pm:

Hi Rich, As I recall, those Revell kits were labelled "Highway Pioneers". I remember that after installing the wheels, you mushroomed the plastic axle shafts with a piece of hot metal. A soldering iron worked well. That may be where my love of old cars came from as well.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Will Brown on Monday, December 26, 2016 - 06:12 pm:

That's a Mercury across the street or maybe a Lincoln? Not a Ford

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Hagerty on Monday, December 26, 2016 - 06:22 pm:

I have one of a 15 Centerdoor. Revell called it a sedan. Mine has cap/hub type pieces that press fit onto the axle ends.
There were 15 or so "Highway Pioneers" kits. Don't see a date on my instruction page, but they are listed at 69 to 89 cents. It shows two 3/4" scale cars at $1.98 One of a 17 Ford coupe, the other a 13 Maxwell. I have never seen these larger kits.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration