Old Photo - Model T Era - Oneto Bros Garage, Main Street, Sutter Creek, California

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Old Photo - Model T Era - Oneto Bros Garage, Main Street, Sutter Creek, California
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Monday, December 26, 2016 - 10:48 am:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed in California on Monday, December 26, 2016 - 10:52 am:

Look at the drone in the air... :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Monday, December 26, 2016 - 02:22 pm:

This is what downtown Main Streets are supposed to look like.

America has gone far astray. :-(

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Landry, Hudson, NH on Monday, December 26, 2016 - 02:58 pm:

They buried the wires and paved the road, but this Main Street still looks pretty much the same.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Monday, December 26, 2016 - 04:21 pm:

Burying the wires removes a major piece of the streetscape character.
They also got all those icky old signs, gas pumps, and cars out of there
to "clean the place up". So much better now !

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Monday, December 26, 2016 - 05:10 pm:

You know Burger, I was trying to figure out why the "feel" of the two pics was so different, despite most of the buildings being the same, and I think you have hit the nail on the head.

I wouldn't necessarily want to see the old poles and wires put back up, but planting some trees in their place would probably make the scene less bleak. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Monday, December 26, 2016 - 08:33 pm:

50+ years ago I used to ride my tricycle down to the end of our lane
and lay in the alyssum that grew along the banks of the canal there.
Across the dark ribbon of slow moving water was a pole, covered
with sparkly colored glass things that fed a couple humming irrigation
pumps there. Trips up into the Gold Country were enjoyed as much for
their old buildings and pre-war cars/trucks as they were for looking sky-
ward and seeing that old school line construction.

The overall sterilization of the American streetscape is every bit as much
about getting rid of the overhead wires as it is in turning Model T cars
into plastic turd-shaped blobs that now populate our streets. Like these
great old shots of the auto parts store interiors, or this gas station shown
above .... I'll take that old and "cluttered" look ANY day over the wiped
clean, featureless look that our culture seems to treasure today.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration