Uploading photos best method?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Uploading photos best method?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Lynn on Monday, December 26, 2016 - 01:16 pm:

Ok so I can and have uploaded on this site but often I have to re size the photos so small in order to get them to show up that they end up being about the size of a business card.

I have seen some photos posted that are ( 5X6 ) or larger. What format works the best?

I have tried several and even if they are under 250kb some wont load unless much smaller ( 70kb ). At this point they are much to small to look at.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Peter Adey on Monday, December 26, 2016 - 01:28 pm:

Here is what I do (Windows) - works well and is easy. In folder view right click on the photo you want and select "send to" >> "mail recipient". This will pop up an attachment dialog box - select "Small" - This will open an email message with the new reduced pic as an attachment - Now right click on the attachment and "save as" to create the lower resolution photo... Works well for me....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Monday, December 26, 2016 - 01:38 pm:

If anybody needs instructions for posting photos with the Apple system (easier than Windows) I can post step-by-step.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Monday, December 26, 2016 - 04:34 pm:

I got a PM taking me up on the offer of Apple directions. This is for a desktop or laptop. I don't use a "mobile device", so I can't tell you anything about that.

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/599638/615122.html?1455436940

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Will Brown on Monday, December 26, 2016 - 06:01 pm:

If you have Photoshop-I think this will work for both Windows and Mac.
When you have re-sized the image to the size you wish as a jpg, as an example 8"x 5.6" at 150 dp which gives me a file of 2.9 mb. Then select under Edit>Save for Web Devices" which will bring up a new window which will show the new size and compare the previous image with the new one. My old file which was 2.9 mb is now 121 kb with virtually no loss in quality. Click "Save" and Photoshop will ask you to name the new file and where you want to save it (Desktop-Pictures, etc.) The original picture will appear and if you want to keep the original size that it was when you first opened it in Photoshop, click "Don't Save" when closing it. Your new small file will be where you saved it ready to post and your original image will be unchanged.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Brough on Monday, December 26, 2016 - 08:23 pm:

If this helps others. I use Windows Photo Manager that came with my PC. I download the photo from my camera into a file, then I open the photo again with WPM and hit the Picture menue on the toolbar and choose the compress option, then over to the right hand side of the photo and there are shoices to compress down to, and one of them is "WebPages" another is email, etc. I hit Web Pages and then the OK bar and save. Then I can post every photo I have to any web page like eBay or this or other forums and they will upload. I never have to do anything with the actual size of the photo, it compresses the image to a work, that's all I know.

I think my posted photos come out rather large.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Monday, December 26, 2016 - 09:44 pm:

Whether you're using a Mac or stuck with Windows, keep your original full size photo and resize a copy of it in case you need the full sized one later.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Lynn on Wednesday, December 28, 2016 - 10:39 pm:

Dang, wish I had photo shop. Use to use that back in the day. I have tried most of the above options but all of them seem to shrink the file down much to small for viewing here. What I am trying to do is make the final picture end up large without having it be memory heavy. I have some other ideas to try, I will post when I figure it out.

thanks everyone.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By samuel pine on Thursday, December 29, 2016 - 04:29 am:

I still can't get this through my dead brain why
its only this site you have to fiddle with
sizes. I have no problems with other sites I
visit. However I use to put pictures in here
maybe three years ago, but now nope..

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By charley shaver- liberal,mo. on Thursday, December 29, 2016 - 07:16 am:

samuel! iam with you this site is so bad i dont even try. charley

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Thursday, December 29, 2016 - 07:50 am:

I'm going to quit driving my roadster. It's the only car I have to start with a hand crank. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Lynn on Friday, December 30, 2016 - 09:21 pm:

Steve are you kidding around or serious? You have some fun T's for sure.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harry Courtneay on Friday, December 30, 2016 - 09:29 pm:

I'm with you too Samuel/Charlie

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Andrew Purgert on Saturday, December 31, 2016 - 07:15 am:

I find the website Web Resizer very useful for photos here. It takes a little bit of guess and check, but it tells you what the KB of the resized image is.

http://webresizer.com/resizer/

Here's the steps I follow:
1. Upload photo
2. Rotate the photo if needed
3. Adjust the height our width in the "New size" box. (Adjust height for portrait photo, width for landscape)
4. Get the KB close to 250 KB.
5. Download the photo

I've been very happy with how big the photos come out even when they are resized. It does have a maximum pixel limit, that's the only thing I don't like.

For example, this image started at 4623 KB and is now 224 KB

Resized

There's also Pic Resize that you can use and tell it the max file size. I set it to "No change" on how to reduce it, and set the max file size to 250 KB. I find the image bigger, but grainy. There might be other options, such as reducing the size of the image, but I haven't gone much further with it. This is the result.

http://picresize.com

Resized 2

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration