Keys to the forum

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Keys to the forum
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kim Dobbins on Monday, December 26, 2016 - 06:38 pm:

I was having lunch with a friend today who was telling me he thought that there was only one person who has access to manage this forum. So none of the club officers, business manager, editor or anyone else was any control of this forum? Seems a bit odd that no one else has the keys.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Monday, December 26, 2016 - 06:56 pm:

I think this might be a slippery slope as the international club will not fund a forum anymore? I have always thought the forum was the best thing that ever happened to the Model T and it's owners!! Bud.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Monday, December 26, 2016 - 07:06 pm:

I'm assuming this friend was referring to Chris? I would suspect that the webmaster is just that, the "master and commander" of said forum, so to speak. Start letting bo-coo others get their fingers in the kettle, someone's gonna screw it up and/or get burned. Just my opinion, I'm sure others will disagree.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham on Monday, December 26, 2016 - 07:27 pm:

Tim, I agree. Pretty much this is self regulating, and yes, I think it's a wonderful thing to be able to get a Model T "fix" 24/7.
I've never seen a forum this good and this active. Long may it live and prosper. I paid my dues to MTFCA primarily to support it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Monday, December 26, 2016 - 07:31 pm:

Yep, I believe I'd let that dog lie.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Monday, December 26, 2016 - 07:38 pm:

God bless this place, and I'll raise you another God Bless!!!!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Sean Butler Huntington Beach, CA on Monday, December 26, 2016 - 07:47 pm:

I have to admit that of the forums I visit, relating to my interests, this is by far the best. A nut may come loose in the lower end on occasion but after bouncing around for awhile it eventually settles in the drain and we continue on. Thank you to everyone who makes this forum what it is - ALL of you!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Brough on Monday, December 26, 2016 - 08:32 pm:

Concur. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. Maybe it's the demographics of the forum members, but if I have an issue and post a question, usually within a few hours, I've got a few responses.
I also lurk on a WWII jeep forum, and have posted technical issues on it that never get a single response. Or it is days, not hours and usually from the "jeep police" telling how Henry would have done it during the war.

This is a great, common sense if you need it and insightful technical and historic accuracy if you want it, forum. I don't care who's got the keys.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steven Thum on Monday, December 26, 2016 - 08:59 pm:

Having been in computing I will say that it is best to have more than one person to "have the keys" so to speak. What if, God forbid, Chris gets sick or dies. I have been faced with that nightmare were one person had the password and control of a corporat accounting computer and was killed in a car wreck, and believe me, it is a nightmare. There should always be at least two people that know how to access and control this forum even if only one has the ultimate right to do so. Redundancy is the key in an emergency.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kim Dobbins on Monday, December 26, 2016 - 10:30 pm:

So most of you said you value the forum, which we all should, most of you also said you don't care that only one person is in control. I have spare keys to all my old cars, my house and modern car, seems only prudent. So if I lose them, it's really not a problem. The real question was does only one person have control of the forum? I'd like to get some response from someone in the know. Thanks

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chuck Lebeda, Humboldt, SD on Monday, December 26, 2016 - 10:36 pm:

I think it would be prudent to have a back-up as Steven says. But only one should manage the WEB site at a time. Chris is doing great and so is this forum and all the people that use it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Daron - Brownsburg IN on Monday, December 26, 2016 - 10:55 pm:

Kim,there are a couple people who can manage if needed.It's best not to know who.(I'm thankful it isn't me.)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Bender Tulsa Oklahoma on Monday, December 26, 2016 - 11:12 pm:

The forum along with all the functions of the club are manage by the Board of Directors. Therefore there is more than one person in control of same.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Tuesday, December 27, 2016 - 03:14 am:

Thank you Chris B!! And THANK YOU to all the board members, and volunteers that make this club work!
This website is my favorite place on the www, by far.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Whelihan Danbury, WI on Tuesday, December 27, 2016 - 09:12 am:

If it ain't broke, don't try to fix it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Brancaccio on Tuesday, December 27, 2016 - 01:47 pm:

Kim, to directly answer your question, I am the main person in control of the website, which includes the forum.

I have also enlisted several members to be assistant forum moderators, but still I do most of the day to day stuff. Some forums are a lot bigger than ours with sub-topics and they need more manpower to manage.

For the most part the board leaves most of the decisions to my discretion, sometimes I contact them when I need help and sometimes they contact me.

I attend as many board meetings as I can so am in constant contact with most of the board members and Susan in the office.

Hope this answers your question.

Fordially
Chris

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kim Dobbins on Tuesday, December 27, 2016 - 02:15 pm:

Thanks Chris for your response. Thanks to you and the board, this is a great forum and your work on the forum is appreciated.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker in Sumter SC on Tuesday, December 27, 2016 - 08:51 pm:

Thank you Chris for all you do! And thank you also to the board for supporting this forum that helps so many of us.

Respectfully submitted,

Hap l9l5 cut off

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Wednesday, December 28, 2016 - 11:52 am:

Chris has been doing a very good job and is also very active in the club. He has actually brought his T all the way to San Diego to join us on our national tour.
Keep up the good work Chris.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tony Honzay on Wednesday, December 28, 2016 - 03:43 pm:

I discovered this forum just over two years ago. Since then I have regularly spent hours reading your advice and comments. I have found myself mesmerized at the knowledge base you collectively have and so willingly share. I wish I had stumbled upon you guys years ago, when I could have shared you with my Dad. We struggled to find correct components. (And enjoyed every single minute of it). When I visited the Ford Museum in MI in 1999, I bought more than $200 of books, mostly anything relating to Model Ts. I have rebuilt Ford 2300 4cyl, 300 6 cyl, 302 8 cyl successfully. My 5.4 and 3.0 are anticipated projects. Both are already over 200K and still going strong. I greatly enjoy the satisfaction (and smoke) upon first firing up after a fresh rebuild. I am tempted to tackle a T engine, using your advice. The (2) 26-27 T engines I still have available I am pretty certain have original cranks in them, and I don't doubt both magnetos could stand a refurbishing as well. Time will tell. Your forum is entertaining and very informative. Thank you all.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration