The last puller

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: The last puller
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Monday, December 26, 2016 - 10:06 pm:

I've been mining old transmissions for parts, and the last one was the most stubborn. I've been soaking the clutch drum with penetrants for months and it's stayed firmly stuck.

A couple of weeks ago I tried this home made puller, and you can see how well that worked out. So then I tried the Ford 5Z-314 puller. All I got with that was one of the bolts sheared off.

So today I tried my puller with much heavier hooks. They just bent and pulled loose.

The final success was with hooks that couldn't pull loose even if they did bend. This worked and the transmission is apart. Now I have some drums to sandblast and see if they're any good.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Monday, December 26, 2016 - 10:11 pm:

A good idea!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Monday, December 26, 2016 - 10:49 pm:

I really like your Oo-rah approach to getting the mission accomplished.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Tuesday, December 27, 2016 - 05:35 am:

Steve,

Just curious if you tried putting any heat on it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Tuesday, December 27, 2016 - 09:42 am:

Yep, turned it red and let it cool.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Tuesday, December 27, 2016 - 09:54 am:

I had a real tough one like that years ago. I had the Ford drum puller and finally got it off.

I wedged the transmission against my bench vise and used a 3 foot cheater bar on the break over wrench and socket that was on the puller head bolt.

It screeched and squanked as the drum was coming off even with WD-40.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Tuesday, December 27, 2016 - 10:10 am:

One more way I've gotten rusted up transmissions apart is to soak the whole transmission immersed in a mixture of diesel and mineral spirits.
The last one I did a few weeks ago had been in a leaking barn for years on a dirt floor. After a few weeks the drums slowly began to turn and now spins easily. Looks totally different than the rusted shut piece of iron it use to be.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Tuesday, December 27, 2016 - 04:38 pm:

Man, I guess that thing was STUCK.

I've been working on an old boiler. It had 2 or 3 plugs in it, as well as several fittings, all but one of which were broke off flush with the shell. A good heating till red and natural cooling allowed most to be easily removed. Now, if I could just get the tubes out that easy.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By R.V. Anderson on Tuesday, December 27, 2016 - 08:18 pm:

Usually these mega-stuck drums have had a burr raised around the keyway when they were last assembled.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration