I've been mining old transmissions for parts, and the last one was the most stubborn. I've been soaking the clutch drum with penetrants for months and it's stayed firmly stuck.
A couple of weeks ago I tried this home made puller, and you can see how well that worked out. So then I tried the Ford 5Z-314 puller. All I got with that was one of the bolts sheared off.
So today I tried my puller with much heavier hooks. They just bent and pulled loose.
The final success was with hooks that couldn't pull loose even if they did bend. This worked and the transmission is apart. Now I have some drums to sandblast and see if they're any good.
A good idea!
I really like your Oo-rah approach to getting the mission accomplished.
Just curious if you tried putting any heat on it.
Yep, turned it red and let it cool.
I had a real tough one like that years ago. I had the Ford drum puller and finally got it off.
I wedged the transmission against my bench vise and used a 3 foot cheater bar on the break over wrench and socket that was on the puller head bolt.
It screeched and squanked as the drum was coming off even with WD-40.
One more way I've gotten rusted up transmissions apart is to soak the whole transmission immersed in a mixture of diesel and mineral spirits.
The last one I did a few weeks ago had been in a leaking barn for years on a dirt floor. After a few weeks the drums slowly began to turn and now spins easily. Looks totally different than the rusted shut piece of iron it use to be.
Man, I guess that thing was STUCK.
I've been working on an old boiler. It had 2 or 3 plugs in it, as well as several fittings, all but one of which were broke off flush with the shell. A good heating till red and natural cooling allowed most to be easily removed. Now, if I could just get the tubes out that easy.
Usually these mega-stuck drums have had a burr raised around the keyway when they were last assembled.