Old Photo - Model T Era - Gas Station/General Store

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Old Photo - Model T Era - Gas Station/General Store
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Tuesday, December 27, 2016 - 09:17 am:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Tuesday, December 27, 2016 - 09:28 am:

Whats the car at pump on left?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Tuesday, December 27, 2016 - 10:16 am:

It sure looks like a SB!! Bud.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Tuesday, December 27, 2016 - 11:26 am:

The car on the right looks like a T but look where the filler nozzle is! He must have relocated the gas tank. Did Ford make any coupes with the tank in the trunk?
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Tuesday, December 27, 2016 - 11:28 am:

That car on the right looks like a T, but look where the filler nozzle is. Did Ford make any coupes with the tank inside the trunk?
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham on Tuesday, December 27, 2016 - 11:35 am:

It is a T. Owner modified (hence not original) or he's filling a can that's in the trunk.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Tuesday, December 27, 2016 - 11:37 am:

Thats what I was thinking Bud. The arch in lower windshield and sharp corners on hood.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Longbranch,WA on Tuesday, December 27, 2016 - 12:07 pm:

Early Model T Coupes had the gas tank in the trunk.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Tuesday, December 27, 2016 - 12:16 pm:

Dallas,Makes one wonder where the picture was taken?That is a neat gas station! Bud.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Tuesday, December 27, 2016 - 01:34 pm:

Yes, some Coupe tanks were in the trunk. Mine is inconvenient in the Winter as the keyhole gets covered with snow and water gets in the lock.
This photo was posted here previously.

Rich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kirk Peterson on Tuesday, December 27, 2016 - 01:39 pm:

Rich
What's the small can to the right of the cap?

Thanks

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred B on Tuesday, December 27, 2016 - 02:31 pm:

what other auto had gas filler in trunk (where you had to open trunk lid to fill) beside early DeLorean ?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dale L Myers on Tuesday, December 27, 2016 - 02:45 pm:

VW Beetle.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Tuesday, December 27, 2016 - 03:50 pm:

Kirk, I'm not sure what the can is. It isn't my picture just one that was handy from an earlier post

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank van Ekeren (Australia) on Tuesday, December 27, 2016 - 04:04 pm:

Oil can.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kirk Peterson on Tuesday, December 27, 2016 - 04:39 pm:

Thanks Rich

What was neat about the old bugs, you had to run out of gas to find out you needed gas SOON. Or something like that.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kirk Peterson on Tuesday, December 27, 2016 - 04:40 pm:

Thanks Frank

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Tuesday, December 27, 2016 - 07:14 pm:

Did all the low cowl Coupes in the black era have gas tanks in the trunk?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Tuesday, December 27, 2016 - 08:00 pm:

No, Some of the Coupes and Couplet's had the tank under the seat. I believe these were early ones but I don't recall when the change was made.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Tuesday, December 27, 2016 - 08:05 pm:

From the MTFCA Encyclopidia:
"1916-1920
.....The Coupelet used the standard round tank under the seat until about 1918, then the round tank was moved to the rear compartment. Around 1919 the Coupelet tank was replaced with the square sedan tank, but still located in the rear compartment."

I don't see mention of the Coupe but it may have been the same.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker in Sumter SC on Tuesday, December 27, 2016 - 08:16 pm:

Richard,

At: http://www.mtfca.com/encyclo/F-H.htm#ft1

It has your entry followed by:

1920-1925
Oval-shaped tank replaced round type. Construction was similar to previous tank except for oval cross-section. Two door sedans and "COUPES"continued the square tank, but oval tank was used in a number of coupes in late 1920, apparently as an experiment. All coupes of the 1924-25 style used the oval tank under the seat.

So yes, the Coupelet entry also covers the coupes (non-folding top).

Respectfully submitted,

Hap l9l5 cut off

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Tuesday, December 27, 2016 - 09:11 pm:

So, the other car at the pump is an "SB" ???

Is that a Smith-Binkley ?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Tuesday, December 27, 2016 - 10:19 pm:

Thanks Hap.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Tuesday, December 27, 2016 - 10:23 pm:

Scripps-Booth?

http://www.cars-on-line.com/63720.html

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tony Bowker, Ramona, CA on Tuesday, December 27, 2016 - 11:35 pm:

John Pepe has a 1922 Coupe with suicide doors and the square gas is in the "trunk", it leaves only room for a coupe of wrenches....
PS
That smile took a couple of hours!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Codman on Tuesday, December 27, 2016 - 11:45 pm:

The pre-gas gauge Bugs had a small lever next to the hockey-puck gas pedal that you moved to reserve when the gas stopped flowing from the main tank. When you hit reserve, you immediately headed to a gas station. You then had to flip the pedal back to reserve, or you wouldn't have any reserve the next time as I understand it. As an editorial opinion, I think that the VW Beetles got better every year until 1967, then worse every year after that.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred B on Wednesday, December 28, 2016 - 12:38 am:

wen i was in my early 20's we used to cruise downtown' one friend had a VW he would have one of us hold the steering wheel taking off from a red light when he would shift into second gear, he would momentarily yank the parking brake up, and screech the back tires,into high, same, as if getting rubber, he was good at it, oh well, we thought it was hilarious.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred B on Wednesday, December 28, 2016 - 12:47 am:

looks like that tank has moved back a little, breaking off part of that back keeper board.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration