Bring a Trailer ??

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Bring a Trailer ??
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Hatch on Tuesday, December 27, 2016 - 10:03 am:

Any one here have any input on Bring A Trailer auction web site. Are they safe? How do they work? Thanks, Dan.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Tuesday, December 27, 2016 - 10:51 am:

Interesting T on there. It seems a lot like eBay except there is a blog on each auction. http://bringatrailer.com/listing/1926-ford-model-r/

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Tuesday, December 27, 2016 - 11:12 am:

It has artillery wheels,
Does it have a hidden cannon?

Looks like a great project car if the price is right!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Barrett in Auburn Ca. on Tuesday, December 27, 2016 - 11:24 am:

That has to be one of the most honest and accurate descriptions of a model T I have ever seen on an auction site. A great car for restoration or just put seats in it and drive.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Tuesday, December 27, 2016 - 11:27 am:

Those folks know how to sell a car. Lots of good pictures and a thorough description. If the price doesn't shoot way up before the end, somebody will get a great deal.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By bob middleton on Tuesday, December 27, 2016 - 04:41 pm:

Good discription even ruxstel

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George n LakeOzark,Missourah on Tuesday, December 27, 2016 - 04:50 pm:

Interesting gas filter .

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Tuesday, December 27, 2016 - 05:25 pm:

Dan

Here is the link to the Terms of Bring A Trailer.

http://bringatrailer.com/about-bat-auctions/

This is a for profit site, and they charge the winning bidder 5% of the selling price, and they have that 5% up front as you submit a credit card # to bid.

After you are a winning bidder, the other bidders are released from credit card hold, and then the bidder winner buyer contacts the seller and makes the payment the seller wishes, and gets the vehicle.

Sounds like a fair deal, Bring a Trailer does all the web site work and photo uploading and descriptions for the seller's info.

Also unlike the eBay time clock auction this one stops snipers. The clock resets for 2 minutes after the last bid.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Blake, Kansas City on Thursday, December 29, 2016 - 04:17 pm:

Sold for $4500

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Landry, Hudson, NH on Thursday, December 29, 2016 - 08:08 pm:

BaT is a legit site. They started out just collecting interesting listings of all kinds of cars, but have gotten into auctions more and more. They are getting a lot of attention in the collector car community and have had some six figure auctions. If you're selling a car like that, their commission is a whole lot less than one of the big auction houses. I follow the site from time to time. They seem to have a good community of contributors. You actually can learn a lot about some pretty obscure cars by reading the comments.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Walter Higgins on Thursday, December 29, 2016 - 08:37 pm:

Last year Bring a Trailer featured a Jag that I had listed on eBay. I didn't even know what they were until a friend told me he saw it on their site. They took my listing and added a lot of commentary like you've seen on the auction discussed here. It was a pretty constructive evaluation and it must have gotten some exposure as the hit counter on my auction ticked up.

At the time I don't think they were doing auctions themselves. It's interesting to see that they've branched out. The only bit that I find odd is that they're writing their own descriptions, though overall it seems what they write about a car they have never had the benefit of seeing in person is more detailed than what most eBay sellers do with the car sitting in their own driveway.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Thursday, December 29, 2016 - 08:53 pm:

So it cost the seller $250 to list the car and the buyer pays 5% up to $5000 buyers fee. If the T sold for only $4500 then I think ebay would have been a much better deal for both the seller and buyer. You still would have to take and send photos to them to be placed in the ad.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Lloid on Thursday, December 29, 2016 - 10:04 pm:

I know nothing about that company. That was a solid looking old T. I do know about buying cars off eBay. I am done with that I bought what was supposed to be buying a original 87 GT mustang convertible with 47k on the Speedo and ended up with repainted terrible paint white gt for 6k. I drove it some and it ran beautiful but it would have taken 10k to make it how it was described by the owner owner in his ad and on the phone before the bids ended. I paid him and was sick with it until I sold it for a huge loss. So ebay I fear some sellers. Tim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Friday, December 30, 2016 - 12:38 am:

So between the seller and buyer it cost $475 (if I did my math right) to buy/sell a $4500 car. Then there may be shipping cost.
They are writing an ad based on the information and pictures the seller provides. I don't see anything that would indicate any eyes on by the service provider. You buy the car and have it shipped across the country and it's a piece of poop, guess you would be in the same place as buying on Ebay only more was payed out more on both ends.
With ebay the money is staying in the US and is an American company. Where is BAT based and where do the fees go? If you read the description of the coupe there are words that are not generally used in America.
This service might be great for high end cars but for low value cars maybe not so good. Guess if I am selling a car I want the most bang for the buck and to be able to reach the most people in my target price range. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Freighter Jim on Friday, December 30, 2016 - 09:03 am:

Mark,

Ebay does not protect Buyers or Sellers.

Ebay protects itself.

The best place to buy & sell a Model T is in the MTFCA classifieds between members.

Freighter jim

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration