Winding a magnet charger

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Winding a magnet charger
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Tuesday, December 27, 2016 - 11:31 pm:

I'm going to try a magnet-inside-the-coil charger. A or B?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dale Peterson College Place, WA on Wednesday, December 28, 2016 - 01:32 am:

Should be B, you are charging a bar magnet that just happens to be bent into a V.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Wednesday, December 28, 2016 - 07:02 am:

I do mine like B. The magnet goes in from the bottom.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Wednesday, December 28, 2016 - 08:56 am:

That's what I thought, but wanted to be sure. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Vitko on Wednesday, December 28, 2016 - 08:58 am:

What difference does it make? Stick a welding rod shaped like a magnet and magnetize it then check it for pole direction if that's the question?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Wednesday, December 28, 2016 - 10:55 am:

Coiling can make a difference.

Here is old school diagram, (inverted it as most like to slip the horse shoe up into the pair of coils.

Coil wrap method

Did the same wrap method in my pair of coils

Magnetized an iron pipe test piece to re-check polarity of my set up.

Works fine, with 12v 10 amp battery charger, after a dozen or so quick 'hits', the single re-charged magnet can hoist 4lbs. Could barely hoist 1 lb. prior.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Vitko on Wednesday, December 28, 2016 - 11:38 am:

I don't know Dan, when I was fooling with magnets I was using a battery leaving a 12 amp charger attached to it and an old foot switch that was bumped for a half second hit for a charge. If it was bumped more then about four times it would start melting the 12 house wire.
Learned from a post that magnets are checked by pulling from a fixed plate not by lifting weight.
I used Rons method of hitting a magnet and found about ten percent of them broke on the ones checked. All charged would easily pick up an exact four pound paint scale weight. If they were ground flat on the ends and pulled from a fixed plate with weight I could get over fifteen pounds.
After about four years of magnets setting legs down on a plate all would easily pick up the pick up the same four pound weight-----then started using a dizzy with to many issues of salt air where I live.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Wednesday, December 28, 2016 - 01:38 pm:

Paul

had success with the home made re-charger, used info from others and from this source below.

Didn't have any over-heat, no melting insulation on the house wire (stripped Romex from a length) and used a 10amp battery charger, with 10-15 'hits' of less than a second each.

Tried the re-charge with and without a 'keeper' between the poles, seemed to make no difference in strength.

The 'lift' power of each re-charged magnet was OK , as these magnets were placed on flywheel for a HCCT build project anyway.

These old day instructions note to leave the power applied for a long duration, with warning if using a storage battery to watch out, as the battery could overheat from fast discharge.

Also note to hammer on the magnet as the current passes thru to make more magnetism.
Am a Doubting Thomas on that score :-) Don't think hammering aligns the electrons any!

But for car use, yes, hammer and check magnets for cracks, good idea.

Old article on re-charge of horse shoe magnets for external high tension magnetos.

My home built HCCT is still throwing a good current to coils and spark plugs for testing as those magnets are holding strong charge!

Old plug a sparking.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Vitko on Wednesday, December 28, 2016 - 02:45 pm:

Nice set up Dan----I was told by Seth that commercial charging is done by loading a capacitor with a bunch of amps and using one hit for a good charge. I lost interest after going to a dizzy. even modern cars around here have issues with the salt air. The Toyota dealer had a guy checking new cars on the lot making sure they were OK with electric yesterday.
Might have a few magnets charged ten years past I will check---- 45 here bet you are warmer!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Vitko on Wednesday, December 28, 2016 - 07:08 pm:

For kicks I had two magnets on my test table one would not pick up a four pound weight, the other was marked with tape on the positive side with a touch of grinding on the ends. I tried to remember when it was magnetized, think it was close to fifteen years and it would lift my four pound weight with my hand.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration