New Holley G needle and seat

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: New Holley G needle and seat
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Corey Walker, Brownsboro TX on Wednesday, December 28, 2016 - 02:37 pm:

I got all the parts to rebuild a Holley G. I've read so much on here about new needles leaking thought I'd test this one out. So far so good. I'll wait a few hours and see. It's ok so far. I screwed the top part of that jack up. Not the whole 2 tons of pressure on it :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Corey Walker, Brownsboro TX on Wednesday, December 28, 2016 - 07:54 pm:

Unfortunately that test method didn't work out. I put the carb on and it leaked. It ran, but was dripping as much gas as it was burning. I polished that needle, lapped it and tapped it with a hammer. I'll go out and check it again later or in the morning. Now I've got a new test method.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C on Wednesday, December 28, 2016 - 11:18 pm:

Ooh! I want more info! I have a G waiting for a trial as I seem to believe my car was intended to use a G...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By R.V. Anderson on Thursday, December 29, 2016 - 09:56 am:

The needle can be chucked in a drill press and the tip polished with a fine carborundum stone, and the seat polished with Time Saver on the big end of a bamboo chopstick. It just takes a few minutes. I guess you could lap the needle and seat together with Time Saver but I've never tried it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Corey Walker, Brownsboro TX on Thursday, December 29, 2016 - 12:24 pm:

It still leaks a little. Runs good but I got to get it to stop leaking. I've got all day I guess. I thought I might rebuild some carbs and make a little money since my work is seasonal and this ain't the season. I know people want NH's it seems like but I already had this one. I did the carb on my car, brass body G but I used an old needle and it works just fine. I'll get it to stop somehow or start eating Ramen noodles if this don't work.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Longbranch,WA on Thursday, December 29, 2016 - 12:32 pm:

Corey - are you setting the float height by the amount of fuel down in the well ? According to available literature, no measurement for "float height" is useful for setting the G float - just passing on what I've read & something to possibly investigate.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Corey Walker, Brownsboro TX on Thursday, December 29, 2016 - 01:33 pm:

I just put it back on. Float might still be a little high. I polished the needle a little. It drips a few drops when you crank it, but not if it's just sitting. I forgot I had switch issues with that coil box, switch on box, it's the box out of my 14. Stuck it on the 21 because I don't drive it much, switch is finicky and I don't have a lid. I just cranked myself silly until I thought about that switch. Turned it on, off and then back on then it fired up. I'm going to take a break and leave it sitting and see if it drips while I run to town. I guess I can keep guessing at the float setting. I've never used one of those new kind of floats that aren't cork. I put it in a bowl of gas to check out its buoyancy while holding the hinge.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Eyssen - Abilene TX on Thursday, December 29, 2016 - 01:53 pm:

Buy the book and look at Hugo's fixture to mount and test the G. I believe the G is referred to as a "puddle carburetor" and the "puddle" has a small variable depth that can be seen inside the venturi. To test, the carb is mounted on the fixture, the top removed and fuel added until it stops flowing. Then look at the puddle inside the venturi and check the amount of fuel showing. If too much or not enough the carb must be drained and the float adjusted, and you start all over. You do not adjust by float measurements as in NH and others.
I run a G on two of my cars and are happy with them. Hope this helps. Tim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stan Howe Helena, Montana on Thursday, December 29, 2016 - 05:55 pm:

No float height makes any difference if the needle and seat leak. I got a few of them that were good, the last three I got were rough and leaked. If I'm going to have to work on one I paid twenty bucks for I'll make my own said I. So I bought a 7 16 x 27 tap and die set and make a new seat from 260 brass and a needle from drill rod. All work fine so far. Tim is right about the height. Thats an easy way to do it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Thursday, December 29, 2016 - 06:36 pm:

Does setting the needle as the Ford manual instructions say help?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Corey Walker, Brownsboro TX on Thursday, December 29, 2016 - 07:20 pm:

Maybe it won't take 2 or 3 days or whatever next time but I got it. Haven't been on here since reading Tim's post but I took the top off and looked down in there. I've got it going finally. It is bad you pay 20 bucks for something then have to work on it. I guess tomorrow or whenever I can take it off and paint it, or whenever. I'm good at taking it on and off now. Think I'll try one of those NH's next. Never mind my oil cap, I lost the one on my 14, robbed that one and found the one on it not in a trailer of parts I got last week.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By R.V. Anderson on Thursday, December 29, 2016 - 09:06 pm:

Well, a body wood kit costs a whale of a lot more than 20 bucks and you have to work on those to make them usable.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration