Preparing to start my engine for the first time

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Preparing to start my engine for the first time
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tommy coffey on Wednesday, December 28, 2016 - 05:32 pm:

I hope to hear my engine run for the first time this weekend. One thing that I have yet to do is mount the coil box and coils back on the firewall and reconnect all the wires. I tagged the wires when I removed them , so that shouldn't be a problem. I removed the points from each coil and cleaned them in a glass-bead cabinet. I wish I knew somebody local with a running T that would put each of my coils in their car and see if they buzz. Oh well, everything has to be in place anyway so I'll know if the coils are good to go when I turn the engine with the switch on BATTERY.
If all goes well I will have a HAPPY NEW YEAR.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James A Bartsch on Wednesday, December 28, 2016 - 05:41 pm:

Tommy: I assume you did not reset the points after cleaning. You can check coil function (point buzz)with a 9v flashlight battery briefly connected across the primary but you likely will need to properly set them for the car to run well. best, jb

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Wednesday, December 28, 2016 - 05:46 pm:

If you haven't hooked up your spark plug wires yet, note that the shortest one goes to cylinder #3. The rest are different enough in length that it will be obvious.

Timer and coil box wiring diagram:

pic

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tommy coffey on Wednesday, December 28, 2016 - 05:54 pm:

Oh, I forgot I have a concern... My engine turns with the crank handle but it is tight , as a newly rebuilt engine would be. I'm worried about it being too tight, although I don't think it is, and bending a rod or some other damage that could occur upon trying to start it. I have the inspection plate off now and I plan to oil all the engine internal parts thoroughly before the start. If I can turn it with one hand, and I'm not Superman or Hercules, it is probably ok, you think?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Wednesday, December 28, 2016 - 05:56 pm:

Sounds good to me, good luck and let us know how it goes. Post a video to Youtube and post a link to it here! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Warwick Landy Traralgon Australia on Wednesday, December 28, 2016 - 07:13 pm:

Tommy, A new engine deserves a 'new' set of coils. Please find someone nearby with a suitable coil tester to help you set up your coils properly before you use them to fire up your new engine. A good strong even spark on all 4 cylinders will be great to help fire your new engine, but 4 unevenly sparking coils may fail to start your engine or at best make it sound like it is running bad. Since you have had all the points off unless you have the right gear it will be difficult to set them up right. MKany posters on this forum throughout the year will verify the difference a good set of coils can make to your cars running. Good luck with the first fire up.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C on Wednesday, December 28, 2016 - 11:11 pm:

Testing first will let you adjust coils so they'll work. I had four pretty coils that worked in my'18 and it ran pretty good but when I installed four rebuilt coils, I turned the carb adjuster down one full turn! True!
Anxious to hear how it goes for you!
You crank or press a switch? I've about lost my arm too many times but when they are runners? Worth it!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tommy coffey on Thursday, December 29, 2016 - 08:28 am:

I hope to have the option of hand cranking or electric starting. However, if the coils are a problem it will delay my first start to a later date as I am a little over budget on this project.Any coil repair or replacement will have to wait. I might have made a mistake in taking the points off and cleaning them.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Lenney Glenn on Thursday, December 29, 2016 - 08:43 am:

Tommy, call me at 828 297 2327. I am near Boone N. C.

t

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Govoni on Thursday, December 29, 2016 - 08:50 am:

Wow Mark That picture is great! You should make em' up for more wiring. Much easer to follow when you see it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Coiro on Thursday, December 29, 2016 - 09:20 am:

I agree with Mr. Govoni. That diagram is great.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Thursday, December 29, 2016 - 09:40 am:

Thanks, but I can't take credit for the diagram, I found it in an earlier year's forum thread. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tommy coffey on Thursday, December 29, 2016 - 10:14 am:

Mark, I can't understand why I had never heard of the "Skinned Knuckles" magazine. I intend to get all the back issues that I can. Thanks. And thanks for the wiring diagram.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Thursday, December 29, 2016 - 11:11 am:

Jay Leno occasionally features "Skinned Knucles" on his website:

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=jay+leno+skinned+knuckles

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration