4 dip pan

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: 4 dip pan
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Carey on Thursday, December 29, 2016 - 09:06 am:

My 23 pan is bent bad at the 4th main. The guy straightening it says that he has a 4 dip pan to replace it. Can the pans interchange, is there a problem doing it?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chester Leighton on Thursday, December 29, 2016 - 09:41 am:

The pans can interchange and the 4 dip pan will give you better access to the #4 rod when it comes time to adjust the rod bearing. If you're not concerned with year model correctness as a show car would be, I'd do it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Thursday, December 29, 2016 - 09:46 am:

Be sure to also use the corner reinforcements that came with the "improved" cars. I have no connection to the attached listing, just putting the link in to show what they look like:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Model-T-Ford-Oil-Pan-Strengthening-Brackets-MT-434-/4012 46979477?hash=item5d6c2f0595:g:LfUAAOSwEzxYWv0u&vxp=mtr

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John McGinnis in San Jose area, CA. on Thursday, December 29, 2016 - 09:54 am:

Not a good idea unless you use the late hogshead with the ears that connect with the block. Brackets
help..but there are straps too which need to be part of the hogshead installation.
The 4 dip pan is weakened by the design and allows flexing which is said to cause crankshaft failures.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Thursday, December 29, 2016 - 09:59 am:

For the average T driver a 4 dip will work fine.

A lot of T's have the made the 'upgrade'.
If you want to build a speedster and hop up the engine you might want to use the earlier pan.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John McGinnis in San Jose area, CA. on Thursday, December 29, 2016 - 10:09 am:

I realize that using the late hogshead makes no sense with an early block and transmission...just trying to say that the weakened pan was compensated for by a number of other changes.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Thursday, December 29, 2016 - 10:29 am:

Langs has a stock of used 3 dip pans Tom. You are close to them, I would use one of those.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George n LakeOzark,Missourah on Thursday, December 29, 2016 - 10:05 pm:

When Martynn Vowell and I were tearing down Derrick Pang's Runabout we changed to a 4dip no problem.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Strickling on Friday, December 30, 2016 - 09:59 am:

How about adding a belly strap under the oil pan for extra support?

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration