Oil Pan Supports

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Oil Pan Supports
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Sam Mendenhall on Thursday, December 29, 2016 - 12:49 pm:

When were the oil pan supports first used. I have had engines with and without. I have been told they are for twisting of the pan for cracks? But I have never had any cracks with engines without them. I am putting together a 23 now and was wondering do I install them or not. Happy New Year to all.

Sam Mendenhall

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Thursday, December 29, 2016 - 12:51 pm:

They came with the 4 dip pans in 1926 model year.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Thursday, December 29, 2016 - 01:47 pm:

When they came out with the 4 dip pan, they also put in a wider brake band. The supports and also the bolts between block and hogs head as well as the two supports between the bolts at the top of the hogs head and the frame. This greatly decreased the incidence of twisted and bent crankcases. However, it is still a good to check for straightness of the crankcase when you rebuild the engine or transmission.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Thursday, December 29, 2016 - 01:52 pm:

I've had lots of cracks in oil pans. You are so lucky Sam!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kohnke Rebabbitting, Clare, Iowa on Thursday, December 29, 2016 - 08:16 pm:

The 4 dip pans first came out in later 1925.

While they had a 4 dip pan, the late 1925's will not fit the 1926-27,s. They had the transmission bump in the brake drum area, but they will not fit the 1926-27 brake drum, as they are to small, but of course they will work the other way around.

The late 1925 transmissions, narrow brake drum, also had the replaceable steel clutch plate lugs.

J & M Machine makes the small brake drum, with the replaceable lugs also, and very high Quality, better then what Ford made.

Herm.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank van Ekeren (Australia) on Thursday, December 29, 2016 - 08:28 pm:

What Henry should have done for the first 11,000,000 pans, this as a 4 dipper for my 1916'ns next rebuild.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Friday, December 30, 2016 - 11:26 am:

The four dip pan was introduced in 1924. It has the provision for the wide drum. I've never seen a four dip pan otherwise. If there is a four dip pan out there without the bump for the wide brake drum, please post a picture. I've yet to see one.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kohnke Rebabbitting, Clare, Iowa on Friday, December 30, 2016 - 12:59 pm:

I have got 3 of them yet, but pictures will have to wait, to cold.

It has the bulge Larry, but only half the size of the 26-27 .

The early 4 dip Tee-Derrs on a 1926-27 Transmission.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Sam Mendenhall on Friday, December 30, 2016 - 01:00 pm:

They came on the 26 would you use them on earlier engine, or would they fit. Off subject is there a torque for the cam gear nut?
Sam

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry Kramer on Friday, December 30, 2016 - 01:04 pm:

Anybody have a picture of the supports Norman mentioned that go from the two bolts at the back of the block to the frame? I may want to add those to my 27 pickup.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kohnke Rebabbitting, Clare, Iowa on Friday, December 30, 2016 - 01:33 pm:

After thought, so if the new 4 dip did come out on July 1924, how would the factory know to make the bulge in the pan to fit the 1926-27's that were not available for at least another year, and one or two months.

Herm.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Warren on Saturday, December 31, 2016 - 10:11 am:

Good idea Frank

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Saturday, December 31, 2016 - 10:14 am:

The factory came out with the wide nose pan in 1917 before introducing the large crank pulley and the revised fan and fan pulley.

Obviously when Ford introduced the four dip pan they had a plan in place to introduce the revised 26 - 27 transmission already in place.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kohnke Rebabbitting, Clare, Iowa on Saturday, December 31, 2016 - 02:54 pm:

Then all the pans should fit the 1926-27's, They Don't.

Herm.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration